Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images

Under Quilt help

Hi All
    Time has come to buy an under quilt. I have some cash and need to make the right decision.
    I have some criteria that I hope to meet in a quilt and I hope you guys can help. I have been through the search function but it did not narrow it down enough for me.

So.
    I hate carrying too much weight so it must be light, down I think is best.
    I use a ULA Conduit so it must compress down well.
    I would "like" to be able to use it on my HH backpacker ultralight and on my DIY top loader.
    Subdued colours would be nice.
    I doubt that I would ever get down to 32F, and if I did then "what am I thinking"

I have put some feelers out for a Yeti and I have enquired into a Shenandoah, which is duel use by the look of it. Does anyone have any pics of the Shenandoah set up as an underquilt? I love to see them.

I think I have it all covered but I am not sure if I have missed something. I have to get this right, as by the time I add international shipping plus the exchange rate it does not work out cheap. So no second chances.

So any advise would be great.
    Thanks
    Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Images
    The thing about the Yeti or a WBUQ ( EDIT: I meant JRB MWUQ) or a Snugfit is no worries about losing loft if you don't have the tension adjusted just right, a handy advantage. But they might all be either way warmer than you need or heavier than you want.

Others will have to comment on the Shenandoah at possibly 32*F. But at the least you will have to get it adjusted just right. Not that you can't, but it is something you will have to deal with and pay attention to. Same thing with my Pea Pod, but no real problem, just a learning curve.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-30-2009 at 10:26.

I'd go with the 3-season Yeti for your temp range, but I'm partial to shorter UQ's with a short pad for the feet, it just makes sense to me. If you want a full UQ then the 3-season JRB Mt Washington will be out in a few weeks and it will be olive drab.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    I am thinking a 3/4 Yeti with a pad for the feet would be good. I can used the pad folded as the back support for my Conduit too.

Are there many pics around of one?

Cheers
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I am thinking a 3/4 Yeti with a pad for the feet would be good. I can used the pad folded as the back support for my Conduit too.

My exact setup with a DIY torso quilt instead of Yeti. I have used this combo with different style hammocks and find it very versatile.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I like my JRB No Snivveler. I figure the nest, which is made specificly for the HH (entry slit & stuff) should do you just fine.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hennessy...r%20Quilts.htm

They compress to a small 7”x7”x8” package & (so far, after about 20 uses) fluff back very well. My NoSniv & all the JRB stuff I have seen is VERY well made. The price also includes: suspension system & sil Nylon 7”x7”x8” stuff sack.

As to subdued colors, you could always hang it black side out if the green is too bright. I find it just right.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post

Are there many pics around of one?

Cheers
    Pics of the Yeti? I've got several and can take more. What do you want to see and with what hammock do you want to see them?

By far my favorite solution to insulation (can't help myself) down under. Weight is great, insulation is fantastic, and still flexible enough to allow for very easy venting when needed. Tough to beat the simplicity of just looping shockcord over whipping and being done. You don't even have to carry a pad for your feet if you're willing to throw your pack down under your legs and feet. Great, great, great piece of gear for those concerned about weight.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I've been sold for a while on the Yeti. This is just adding salt to the wound. When in the world are they going to be available!!! I can't take it anymore sleeping on a pad. Sure I'm warm but all sticky by morning.

Anyway, I have the ULA Circuit and hope to go to the Conduit whenever I'm able to get my hands on a Yeti.

ky chris
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ky chris View Post
    When in the world are they going to be available!!! I can't take it anymore sleeping on a pad.
    I know Brandon has down flying all over the place trying to get ready for Trail Days, probably why we haven't seen much of him lately on the forums. I don't think you'll have to wait much longer.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I know Brandon has down flying all over the place trying to get ready for Trail Days, probably why we haven't seen much of him lately on the forums. I don't think you'll have to wait much longer.
    I sent him an email stating that I wanted to be put on the waiting list for one a few weeks ago. Do you think I'll have to wait until after trail days to get one?

Also, how warm can you use the 3-season Yeti and still be comfortable?

Thanks,

ky chris
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast