Hammock
    DIY gathered end/bridge custom
    Insulation
    DIY tq & uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Hammock materials

I am finally going to make my first hammock. I don't know whether to use ripstop nylon or taffeta. Suggestions please?
    Hangin' everywhere

Ripstop Nylon has a little more give that makes for a softer lay and Taffeta Polyester is more rigid like sleeping on a semi-hard mattress. It all depends on if you like a soft lay or a more supportive lay.

I hope that helps

Hammock
    DIY gathered end/bridge custom
    Insulation
    DIY tq & uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Hammock materials

Going to order 1.1 ripstop from www.diygearsupply.com
    Hangin' everywhere

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Also, you may want to go and "feel" for yourself. Some say the tafetta feels a littler rougher and some say nylon is too clamy.

I love my nylon, myself.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Not light enough for backpacking, but it makes a great yard hammock. Oxford nylon-seems like about 2.2oz/sq yd.

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-R...item2a314ba821

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    We are comparing 2 very different things.
    Kinda like saying "Blue cars are better than Chevys."

Content
    Nylon has a little more stretch for a given weight, but has slightly more strength.

Polyester has slightly less stretch. It's also hydrophobic and often will tend to wick moisture away.

Weave
    Ripstop is usually more densly woven using a greater number of fibers with a thicker fiber woven in that gives you the checked pattern. Depending on the exact construction of the fabric, they can feel damp and clammy in the Summertime.

Taffeta is the same as "plain weave" and often is woven with fewer, larger diameter fibers (not always). Because of the larger fibers (and larger spaces between the fibers), they are often not downproof and have a rougher (more open) feel. I personally find many nylon taffetas feel better against the skin.

These are only generalizations and it's possible to find fabrics that act very differently than described above. A good example would be those micro denier fabrics used in many of our quilts. You really have to judge each fabric on it's own. It's also possible to use either type of fabric in either type of weave, depending on what your preferences are.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    We are comparing 2 very different things.
    Kinda like saying "Blue cars are better than Chevys."

Content
    Nylon has a little more stretch for a given weight, but has slightly more strength.

Polyester has slightly less stretch. It's also hydrophobic and often will tend to wick moisture away.

Weave
    Ripstop is usually more densly woven using a greater number of fibers with a thicker fiber woven in that gives you the checked pattern. Depending on the exact construction of the fabric, they can feel damp and clammy in the Summertime.

Taffeta is the same as "plain weave" and often is woven with fewer, larger diameter fibers (not always). Because of the larger fibers (and larger spaces between the fibers), they are often not downproof and have a rougher (more open) feel. I personally find many nylon taffetas feel better against the skin.

These are only generalizations and it's possible to find fabrics that act very differently than described above. A good example would be those micro denier fabrics used in many of our quilts. You really have to judge each fabric on it's own. It's also possible to use either type of fabric in either type of weave, depending on what your preferences are.
    Papa smurf offers very good advice. I have found the best answer is to have one of everything. SL/DL taffeta, SL/DL 1.1 nylon, SL/DL 1.9 nylon... 9 feet, 10 feet, 11, feet 12 feet, 13 feet, footbox, no footbox... As long as you are making your own, pick one to start and go from there. Maybe you'll find the perfect fit on the first try. If not you can join the large crowd of hammockers with GAD (gear acquisition disorder.) Of course if you are making all your hammocks yourself as I do, you can always rely on the justification that you are saving money.

Michael

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiresmiley View Post
    Papa smurf offers very good advice.
    Always trust your Papa. He's a good guy and always wanting to help. Very nice products as well. Send him some love.
    ...with GAD (gear acquisition disorder...)
    Best quote in some time. I'm always looking for the next gadget or fabric.
    ...Of course if you are making all your hammocks yourself as I do, you can always rely on the justification that you are saving money.

Michael
    I just purchased 4 yards of fabric of "undetermined origin" from Walmart for a new TQ I'm making. $1/yard is very good savings and I"m not too concerned about appearances as long as it works.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts