Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Head lower and position in the hammock really help me, but the thing that eliminates it completely for me...my sleeping bag! Originally I tried clothing or a pad, but that's just one more thing to mess with in my hammock. I like to keep it simple.
    So, sleeping in a sleeping bag cured your leg ridge problem?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, sleeping in a sleeping bag cured your leg ridge problem?
    Position and hanging the head end lower is very important, but the sleeping bag seems to kill it. When I'm just relaxing in the hammock without a sleeping bag I notice it a little. But when I get in for the night with the sleeping bag, I never noticed it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Position and hanging the head end lower is very important, but the sleeping bag seems to kill it. When I'm just relaxing in the hammock without a sleeping bag I notice it a little. But when I get in for the night with the sleeping bag, I never noticed it.
    That is pretty amazing. I guess you're talking about getting in the bag in normal sleeping bag fashion and zipping up? As opposed to using it as a top quilt? Hard to imagine what that could have to do with anything. But then again, when I think back to the days when I did exactly that, I don't remember noticing any calf pressure. I guess that would have been only in my HH Explorer ultralight, The first hammock I had. Because that's the last Hammock I can recall using a sleeping bag in the normal fashion in. Although maybe one time in my Speer hammock, when I was using pads. Anyway, I don't really remember leg pressure problems back in those days. I may have to experiment with this!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    My 2 cents: lower head has little impact on my Darken UL. I have a ridge but it's mostly off my diagonal. No big problem.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock_monk View Post
    My 2 cents: lower head has little impact on my Darken UL. I have a ridge but it's mostly off my diagonal. No big problem.
    I believe the feet higher than the head, 30 degree angle apps and gadgets only apply to the wbbb's calf ridge issue.
    I've not had to do any of that with my other gathered end hammocks, ENOdbl,HHexp,SB,Snipe,Darien,RGnome.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-06-2013 at 17:14.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    And this is why I use a Ridgerunner. Calf pressure is not a problem. Zero...zip....Nada.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I normally sleep in almost a reclined position...so recently I started to raise the head end slightly. Feels great, but I have yet to do this overnight, which is the true test.

I've also had success when I left the ridgeline with a bunch of slack. More than what its recommended by Brandon. I love it and calf pressure never showed its ugly face.

Of course, its like gmtccr said, things work for a small subset of hikers lol.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I use an Exped UL7 inflatable down mat with a small pad sleeve on the end velcro'ed on a diagonal. Warm, comfy, and zero calf pressure no matter how I happen to set up. Would not leave home without it.

The first few times I hung, I had a bit of calf-pressure and I ended up ordering a 3/8 inch closed cell foam pad to try curing it. Doubled it up, which helped but introduced a new set of problems - kind of bunched up around my legs. Lowering the head end a bit made a huge difference though. Still need one layer of padding under my legs, but only to keep them warm

Calf ridge pressure and why I've never had it.....

More sag gets rid of the CRP.
    I have 3 WBBBs - all 1.1 z DL - they are NOT created equal. Like most people who buy a ready-made hammock with a SRL, I always assumed mine was right and I never measured them or compared among the 3.
    Over time I discovered that each of these three hammocks must be hung with different tension on their RLs in order to get the same feel and get rid of the CRP. One had to be hung so loose that I finally tied an overhand knot with a 2.5" loop to shorten it enough (that's over 5 inches off the length of that RL).
    I theorize that people who don't complain about the CRP got a WB with a shorter RL and those that experience the CRP got one with a longer RL. I'll bet a cup of coffee that no one ever accurately measured the hammock body and RL and compared their percentage to anyone else's. I have 3 and never did that. I just fixed it by shortening the one that was too long. Now all 3 hang with no CRP.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast