Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

what to use for what?

So what is the prefered material for making things?
    For quilts do I use breathable for inside and out?
    What types of gross grain?
    Triangle thingies?
    When is 1.1 vs 1.9 vs whatever needed?
    I am all in on down so I am not going to debate but when is which better?
    Snake skins?
    Also I have a hancocks fabric close by and went into it walked around and left. I don't know what I expected, maybe a hammocking section, but I couldn't find anything I thought would work. Where would it be?
    I have seen ads for Joanna but not sure where one is would that be better?
    Walmart where and what should I expect?
    Answer one or all I am not among the sewing machine diy'ers so I need some tips.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Preferred material: ripstop nylon or crinkle taffeta for hammocks. Weight of ripstop depends on your weight and intended use. If you're going to use it for backpacking, then make it as light as you can. Silnylon for tarps--you can use polyurethane coated ripstop, but it will be heavy.

Quilts: breathable calendared 1.1

Grosgrain: avoid the Walmart and fabric store stuff. Better quality from our cottage suppliers: Quest ,DIYGearSupply, etc.

1.1 vs 1.9 vs whatever: Depends on application.

Down: Are you asking when to use down vs synthetics? You might want to use synthetics (or dri down) in wet,foggy environments.

Snakeskins: Make them out of silnylon. Great for keeping that wet tarp off your other gear.

When at the fabric stores, just ask if they have ripstop. They may not be able to tell you the weight, but they might show you the catalogue they order from. My local fabric store has ripstop in their "flag material section".

Whichever store has what you need and has the best coupons is better!

Walmart is a toss up. I have never seen any ripstop or silnylon at any of my local stores, but some folks on this forum have. I have found some decent nylon on Walmart.com though.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    I see that you have body fat down as your insulation...is that picture you? cuz if it is, you had better get busy with the diy quilts

+1 on all of squidbilly's advice. make sure to check out the sewing tips on the DIYgearsupply website. In terms of fabric from walmart, they will usually have a bin full of fabric that is cheap. the bin at my local store is not marked as such, but the lady who works the counter is happy to help. this stuff is often $1/yard and therefore makes a great option to get started with. spend $10 and you can make a tarp that will not be waterproof and probably wont last for s#*t, but it is great practice and if you screw it up it was only $10. the techy fabrics that we love for all of these projects are slippery as can be, and for me it was a great way to start. you can also make tons of stuff sacks with the fabric later on. good luck!
    There is no try, only do.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    Preferred material: ripstop nylon or crinkle taffeta for hammocks. Weight of ripstop depends on your weight and intended use. If you're going to use it for backpacking, then make it as light as you can. Silnylon for tarps--you can use polyurethane coated ripstop, but it will be heavy.

Quilts: breathable calendared 1.1

Grosgrain: avoid the Walmart and fabric store stuff. Better quality from our cottage suppliers: Quest ,DIYGearSupply, etc.

1.1 vs 1.9 vs whatever: Depends on application.

Down: Are you asking when to use down vs synthetics? You might want to use synthetics (or dri down) in wet,foggy environments.

Snakeskins: Make them out of silnylon. Great for keeping that wet tarp off your other gear.

When at the fabric stores, just ask if they have ripstop. They may not be able to tell you the weight, but they might show you the catalogue they order from. My local fabric store has ripstop in their "flag material section".

Whichever store has what you need and has the best coupons is better!

Walmart is a toss up. I have never seen any ripstop or silnylon at any of my local stores, but some folks on this forum have. I have found some decent nylon on Walmart.com though.
    ty good info

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gophin View Post
    I see that you have body fat down as your insulation...is that picture you? cuz if it is, you had better get busy with the diy quilts

+1 on all of squidbilly's advice. make sure to check out the sewing tips on the DIYgearsupply website. In terms of fabric from walmart, they will usually have a bin full of fabric that is cheap. the bin at my local store is not marked as such, but the lady who works the counter is happy to help. this stuff is often $1/yard and therefore makes a great option to get started with. spend $10 and you can make a tarp that will not be waterproof and probably wont last for s#*t, but it is great practice and if you screw it up it was only $10. the techy fabrics that we love for all of these projects are slippery as can be, and for me it was a great way to start. you can also make tons of stuff sacks with the fabric later on. good luck!
    that picture is from shawshank redemption. the scene when andy climbs out of the tunnel of @#$%. I am a bit thicker then that. ok ok much thicker. I am going to be working on the quilts anyway.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The ripstop nylon at Hancocks and Joanns is going to be 1.9 oz and likely not downproof. It's OK for a hammock, but I wouldn't make a quilt out of it.

For down quilts, get material stated to be downproof from one of our cottage vendors.

• + New Posts