DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Side Sleeping

Does anyone side sleep in a gathered end Or sewed in channel hammock? I can't go to sleep on back even in the bed, I'll lay there half the night and finely give in a turn over then go right too sleep.. The problem with the hammock is it hurts the arm I'm laying on, goes numb.. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a ridge line so I can adjust the sag but I haven't found the solution.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    I side-sleep in a gathered end, but don't have much of a problem with the arms going numb. It can happen, but I just don't stay in the same position all night--even in a bed I change sides.

I usually don't even use a ridgeline, although I put one on my new hammock.( just to hang stuff on) I tend to hang the hammock with a steeper than average angle on the suspension. And my hammock is 11' long too.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I side sleep in the WBBB.. I also have a hard time sleeping on my back.. I thought it was just me.. Oh and I sleep super comfortable in the Blackbird that way
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You might benefit from a longer hammock, like an 11 footer. I always felt scrunched in shorter hammocks.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    i have a DIY crinkle taffeta hammock and i can sleep on my side but only if i go pretty much fetal position. that being said, i could never sleep on my back in bed but i can in the hammock.
    not for nothin, but it may be worth trying a spreader bar style...much flatter.
    There is no try, only do.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I can't sleep on my back in a bed but can and do in a hammock. But I also sleep on my side in a hammock with no numbness. Try a small pillow under your head and cradle your head and pillow with your bottom arm. Hard to explain, but put your hand somewhere near your ear with your elbow pointing where you're looking.

Does your arm go numb when you sleep on your side in bed? If not, it's probably because you don't toss and turn as much in a hammock.

Side sleeping may numb your arm, but the trade-offs are:

No hyperextended knees
    No calf ridge
    No sore heels
    No shoulder squeeze

Good luck!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I am a side sleeper as well. In the hammock though I can't get into a full side position. Rather, it is more of a modified position - partly on my side and my back against and supported some by the side of the hammock. I do roll over a few times a night usually but I do that in bed also.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    love side sleeping in a hammock. especially in summer watching a lake, valley etc.
    in the eno dbl nest with a pad (hammock is 9'4") TTTG switchback when i used a pad (10' hammock) i was comfortable in my side as well. need to spend more time in that hammock for comfort sake with UQ. my 11' DH thunderbird is great for side sleeping. slightly stretched out, or a little ball, or just to flail around in. i am 6' and 220lbs so this has lots of room to do all that. ridgeline or not hasn't interfered with my sleep in any of my hammocks.

I too cannot sleep on my back and have tried to convert to no avail.I do sleep on my side in my WBBB but pretty much in a fetal position. Here is the problem I have though.It is much easier to stay warm on your back since it seems the quilts conform to your body better when you are on your back.The more I move around the more trouble I have with drafts which tend to wake you up and cause sleep interuptions.Last weekend I doubled my 20 and 40 phoenix UQ up and stayed pretty toasty.The bottom line is I think back sleepers have it licked in a hammock and the rest of us just have to try to make it work.

Images
    lzeplin , I sleep on my side a lot when in a hammock. I can sleep very well on my back but sometimes I wake my self up snoring unless I have the perfect neck pillow or something to keep my head positioned correctly. Or sometimes various leg discomforts will cause me to turn on my side. I mostly sleep just barely or all the way on my side in my BMBHs, which is one reason why I never had many shoulder squeeze issues in that hammock. I also sleep on my side in fetal or with legs straight in my Claytor. Some of my other non-bridge hammocks I sleep comfy on my side but in fetal only. Like my HH Explorer UL for example. I can get on my rt side, head towards the lt side pull out and my feet to the right, on a pretty extreme diagonal. This forms a supporting center ridge under my waist and is about as comfortable as I can get, and the HH Super Shelter still seems to work OK.

Quote Originally Posted by used2fly View Post
    I too cannot sleep on my back and have tried to convert to no avail.I do sleep on my side in my WBBB but pretty much in a fetal position. Here is the problem I have though.It is much easier to stay warm on your back since it seems the quilts conform to your body better when you are on your back.The more I move around the more trouble I have with drafts which tend to wake you up and cause sleep interuptions.Last weekend I doubled my 20 and 40 phoenix UQ up and stayed pretty toasty.The bottom line is I think back sleepers have it licked in a hammock and the rest of us just have to try to make it work.
    You point out a seldom mentioned problem that I have also noted, but it is inconsistent for me depending on the hammock and the quilt combo. But I have had some quilts perfectly adjusted, turned on my side and observed that they have fallen away from contact with my body in some spots, usually on the sides. Where part of me might be pushing into the sides. So I know what you mean. But, again, I don't get this in all cases.

I don't think I ever get that with my HHSS. I'm sure I never get it with my JRB BMBH. Maybe it varies some with how I have the UQ attached, but side or back, the JRB MW UQ's seem to stay very much in contact with sides and back on the BMBH. On my side in this hammock, I often lean back into the side of the hammock, and those MW UQs are always right up against my back keeping my warm.

It is also not a problem with my PeaPod. I don't know if the pod is shifting when I go on my side or not, but I always stay warm, fetal or legs straight in my Claytor No Net. I side sleep very comfortable fetal or legs straight in this hammock with the pod.

I guess this is drifting from the OP question from comfort into insulation, but continuing to keep warm when turning to your side is part of staying comfy on your side. If you get cold you won't stay on your side long.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast