Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nice65 View Post
    Thanks, just the answer I needed.

Do Hennessy take a while to answer emails? I sent a few questions over a week ago and in that time have exchanged several emails with Tom Claytor, thus getting his company a sale.

Also, Hennessy list the Exp. Deluxe hammock size in their comparison chart as 110"x66" and in the individual hammock specs as 48" wide. It's listed on all websites at 48". Without Hennessy bothering to email, I don't know what size they are.
    When I was dealing with them a couple of years ago, they did not like to answer e-mails, they were much more comfortable with a phone call. They would always call me promptly, but they did not much e-mail me.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have had reasonably good luck with emails from HH.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I take it back. They've been really helpful, and thanked me for pointing out the discrepancies between widths on various websites.

They will be showing their new zipper system hammock at Trail Days in Damascus, Virginia, and then putting them on the website. I may well hold out and see what they are like.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I think TH's son or somebody else is covering customer service/advice/help now, and they are likely way more comfortable with e-mail vs. phone calls. I remember initially ( 2 or 3 years ago) sending e-mails describing my problems, and I would get a return e-mail saying "please call, let's talk" or, if I had included my phone number, they would just call me. Tom told me once that he had trouble reading people's descriptions of the problems ( understandable, these things are hard to put in words sometimes) and coming up with an answer, and he would rather just talk. But maybe a newer "texting" generation is handling these things now!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    I have both a HH Expedition Asym, and a Claytor Jungle Hammock. I am 6-3" tall and weigh about 190. So I need a big hammock. I started with the HH, but switched to the Claytor because it's so much easier to get in and out of. Getting in and out is a big thing for me because I have to get up to pee 3 or 4 times per night. So I think I will pass the HH on to my wife or nephew, who won't have to get up in the middle of the night like I do.

The HH has this weird velcro closure in the middle of where your feet go. To get in isn't too hard, but getting out means poking around with your feet until you can get the velcro closure open, then stick your feet down and stand up. Sounds easy but it's not. I have the under cover with mine, which is another layer of nylon, with a foam pad. To get past that thing requires more footwork. The whole thing gets rigged together with all kinds of delicate little stretch strings. Also, mine has no zipper on the side to open the mosquito net. So you can only get in and out thru the velcro closure. Want something that's laying on the ground just beside your hammock? Fugetaboutit. You, and everything else, has to pass thru the velcro door. PIA!

The Jungle Hammock, on the other hand is a side entry job. Unzip the mosquito net, sit on the hammock, perpendicular to it, and swing your legs and head in. Zip the mosquito net, or not, and you're done. I think there is less width to the JH. But laying diagonal isn't affected too much. For one thing the velcro closure in the HH is very stiff, like a peice of wood, so you have to put your feet on one side of it or the other. I can lay completely on my side, in a fetal position in the JH, but not the HH. The velcro door gets in the way. I'm extra long, so maybe that makes everything worse.

I also like the double bottom of the JH. It's easy to slip a foam pad or a space blanket into it. To get the same thing with the HH requires more $$, and more complication with the undercover. The JH is built really well, and it's a lot cheaper. The HH is more complicated, more expensive, harder to get in and out of, and less comfortable for me. The only thing I don't like about both of them is the measly little rainfly that comes with them. Oh sure, you can buy a bigger rainfly for more $$. But the ones they come with aren't big enough. If it's raining I like to have room under the fly for all my stuff, plus plenty of overhang so if it's also windy everything stays dry. Don't buy either hammock without the extra large rainfly.

So far I think it's also easier to get the JH pulled tight between the trees, than it is with the HH. My HH really seemed to want to sag, but the JH pulls tight easily.

Just my 2 cents worth. Others, who are built different, may have other opinions.

Here's the HH set up on a trip last summer:

Last edited by gila_dog; 05-08-2009 at 22:00. Reason: add pic

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12