Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    My 1st and one and only....HH ULBA

Newbie with questions

Ok so I have ordered my Hennessey Ultralite Backpacker A-Sym

I am pretty excited about trying it out ( I actually haven't even gotten it in yet!!!)

1) Under quilts....seems to be a popular question but are these used for all seasons?? I saw some comments about people using there sleeping pad inside the hammocks....I need a little direction here. I am starting my SOBO thru hike this July so I am thinking that the summer months are not as big of an issue but I would def appreciate some pointers. Just seems pretty pricey....

2) actually hanging my hammock, any pointers for a first timer, I am imagining that my first try would be quite comical.

I would appreciate any info that I can get, this site seems chock full of it!!

Oh yea annnnnddddd I am doing a week long hike in May to get more comfortable with the hammock before my thru

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I believe there is a video on Hennessy's site about hanging the hammock. Take a look around for that.

Re: insulation. Yes. Yes. Yes. Insulation even in summer. You won't need as much as the colder months, but even in the 70's your back will get cold, and the way the temps drop at night you'll end up awake and miserable and wondering why you ever bought this stupid hammock.

Add a little insulation underneath you and you'll be warm and cozy and wonder why you ever slept on the ground. And no, your sleeping bag will not provide any insulation underneath you. Loft is what gives insulative value, and the bag compresses so much under you that it's benefit is negligible.

I like a CCF pad, not because it's amazing, but because it's cheap and it works. If you lay it out in your hammock right you can use your sleeping bag as a top quilt and should be plenty happy. Yes, an under quilt is better. And far far far more expensive. And though good ones pack fairly small, they're still bulky in my opinion - simply because I can strap the CCF pad to the outside of my pack, which I would never do with the under quilt.

$6-7 at Walmart will provide you with a large blue CCF pad that will work fine. More can get you better pads (people seem to like these a lot).

Welcome to hammocking.

And let us know how the first hang goes... especially if there's comical value to the setup.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    I like the looks of those Gossamer pads....and excuse me for sounding like a complete dork but CCF??

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I believe it stands for closed cell foam. So watere cant get absorbed.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Duh! lol gotcha...that kind of what I thought.....

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I have an ULBA (my first hammock ), and like you, I wasn't sure what to do about under insulation during the warmer months. It's sort of a catch 22 though, lol. Everyone's toleration for cold varies, but you have time to try things out before you go at least.

I get by with a Jacks R Better DTE (Down to Earth) Pad, which I shortened a bit. I also cut the add on pieces short and just add those where I normally hang off the pad a little since I sleep on my side (knee area, butt, elbow area on one side). That works fine for me between 65-70something degrees. I also really like this pad because it is nowhere near as bulky as some pads when rolled up. Makes a great sit pad for breaks too

A little colder and I start adding... I go to my Nest underquilt, then colder and I would use both the UQ and the pad, and if I really need extra warmth, I use both my Nest AND No Sniveller. I really like my Weathershield. It helps cut the wind and IMO keeps me warmer because of that.

One thing worth mentioning is that it can and often does get pretty cold at night up in the Whites, even in the Summer !!

Pads can be a pain. They like to move around and in the ULBA, it makes it harder to get in and get situated. Most are rather bulky to carry too, though they are good to have along incase you have to go to ground for whatever reason.

Though I haven't tried one (yet), some people really like their SPE's. Maybe something like that would work for you instead.

What you need will depend on your own personal furnace

I suggest you get out there as much as you can, in as bad a weather as you can to see what will work. Experience is the best personal tutor in this area.

All the best to you in your hunt for your own solution, and for your thru!!
    Keep us posted in what you try out and how it works out for you.

Here's a good place to have a better look at how to tie the HH knots...
    http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hi...lter/hknot.htm

Perkolady
    Last edited by Perkolady; 04-27-2009 at 14:46. Reason: added a link

Hammock
    As far as the "off the shelf" package will I be ok for hanging or do I intially need to purchase something additional...I see there are many different ways of going about it....

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    An underquilt is worth every single penny that they cost. Yes, they are expensive and yes, they might even get wet (not if you're careful). But, the glorious warmth that is given in return is oh so worth it.

Word of warning: There have been some folks (won't call you by name) that have found themselves looking at the ground through their bugnetting after trying to get (and stay) on a pad in a Hennessy. The "pad-dance" is a pain, but a little practice will get you squared away. Just try to do your initial experiments where there are no witnesses. Or at the least, with friends who won't bring their cameras.

Yes, I've flipped my Hennessy....once.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Love the fine print!!!!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I think the HH Super Shelter is the best bet around for the normal run of the way shelter for an HH. It is reasonably priced comapritvely and is usable by itself down into the fifties for most people/ Beyond that it is good to add a Heat Sheet type space blanket and I understand there are some additional pads available that make a big difference into the 30's. Please note... the kidney and torso pads are not advertised by Hennessy and may be discontinued. I'm not sure about that. If you order the Super Shelter make sure you _ask_ specifically about them. I had to raise a bit of a stink but I am getting them from existing stock.

I have kind of put my underquilts away until I get more time with the SS. One of our Minnesota members has easily augmented his super shelter down to -26* F Them Minnesotans are a rare breed tho.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast