WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies

ENO issue i'm encountering

Im having a problem that whenever im laying diagonally in my hammock, there seems to be a really tight spot in the middle that puts lots of pressure on my legs. is this problem common, and how do i fix this issue? is it just the sag?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    yeah usually it means you have it strung up too tight. Adjusting your sag should alleviate that to a degree. Try an adjustable ridgeline to set the sag. I make mine to be adjustable anywhere from 95 to 105in. That way you can tinker around to see what works best for you. You'll want the ridgeline to have a slight give to it when you are in your hammock not guitar string tight.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I hear ya bud, its that same reason that made me give up my eno double. I never noticed it as much while just hanging around but as soon as I tried to sleep over night in it .... Calf pressure! I picked up a diy 11ft'er and wow! It made a huge difference. As a heavy hanger a -11ft hammock is not very comfortable sleeping in. By first appearance a wider hammock would be more comfortable but for me this logic just doesn't hold water. Length is where its at. I'm 6'1 290lbs and 11.5ft hammock does me well. I still experience calf pressure but its reasonable.
    Last edited by jons4real; 12-07-2013 at 15:58.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I just went back and read your entire post like I should have the first time. To resolve this there are three things you can do
    1) Tuck a pillow under your knees while sleeping
    2) Adjust your sag
    3) Hang your foot end a little higher than your head end.

Taking into account these variables you should be able in greatly improve your sleep.

If your like me and nothing works then you may want to try a longer hammock. I picked up a dream hammock because Randy would build it to my dimension and help figure out what dimensions would work for me.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    A small pillow, jacket or clothes in a stuff sack under the knees is a good fix.

I'm short so without pushing the straps up further on the tree, with a hiking pole, or finding a log or rock to stand on, when initially setting up, the only real solution is to move to another set of trees, closer to each other.

Rather than move, I'd probably just wait until the next night.

Fact being, I hang in a 11' BIAS WW and really have no idea what this calf ridge thing is all about so YMMV.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    thanks y'all. im gonna try the pillow tonight, and see if that works. the sag however, dosent make much of a difference on my singenest.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try hanging your suspension a bit higher……might help. Some say move legs in towards the middle of the hammock may help.
    Try switching head and feet to other ends…180%. Might find the sweet spot.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I found for my dbl nest that making the angle of hang less than 30* works better. I have laid flat with minimal diagonal at about 15* pitch. I am 6', 225lbs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobertson View Post
    Im having a problem that whenever im laying diagonally in my hammock, there seems to be a really tight spot in the middle that puts lots of pressure on my legs. is this problem common, and how do i fix this issue? is it just the sag?
    Hi DR,
    I've not tried a ENO single but use an ENO double so much the red and black nylon is now gray and pink

Here's something to try. I know you said you are laying on a diagonal but I am thinking it's not diagonal enough. I'd like you to try getting real diagonal. Head to the left edge and feet to the right edge.

Looking down at the hammock you should be able to see that tight material that causes the ridge pressure. It should go from your butt to the foot end of the hammock gathering and your leg should not be on it if you are diagonal enough.

Whether they know it or not the reason people shorten their ridgeline and or raise the treestraps to create more sag in the hammock is so they can get more diagonal in the hammock getting their leg off the tight spot.

hth

Please post if this helped.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-08-2013 at 10:26.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    DRobertson,

Are you using the stock rope and carabiner or, have you like many of us, replaced that with something lighter?

I've 2 ENO DN. One I fitted with 7/74 Amsteel Whoopie slings threaded through the channel, the second 7/64 Amsteel continuous loops larks-headed at each end.

The fold of the hammock during the whipping process might give you some relief. A valuable rescource for me was Just Jeff's Hammock Camping Page, (dare I say more valuable than Shug's videos)

Give this a try:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html

I confess that I camped comfortably in my DN for 1 year until I replaced my pad with an underquilt. Ultimately, without the pad to smooth the tight ridges, I needed to abandon the DN to find maximum comfort.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast