DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

DIY Done! Should I DWR??? Pyretherin?

Just got done my DIY Claytor clone from the 1.1oz nylon from DIY Tactical. It's sweet. My question is, before I throw on the suspension and hang this thing... showld I apply a DWR treatment to the outside? I have some tectron spray on stuff, but if you think I should DWR it, give me a suggestion on what to use. I dont want it to limit breathability. I was thinking of a wash in treatment but I've never used one.

Thanks...

PS... would any dwr treatment affect a treatment of pyretherin? Before, after? And do any of you have suggestions/brands of pyremetherin you suggest?

Thanks, again!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Can't really say about the DWR treatment, but for the Permethrin I would tell you to use the Sawyer brand. In my experience, it has outlasted and outperformed the Permone stuff from the folks at Repel.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I like my untreated hammock. I think it helps it to heat up faster using an UQ. In the warm temps I can swing and feel the breeze a little more. Personal preference.

Let me know how the bug treating goes. Thinking about using some on clothing for the LA swamp bugs this summer.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Bear Taco (DIY dlb 1.9/1.5)
    Tarp
    10x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    I swear, you asked exactly the question I was going to. I made a claytor clone but used waterproof material and had problems with condensation. I now have the same 1.1 oz untreated ripstop from DIY tactical on order for my second go around that you probably used. I just spent the other day researching what DWR coating does.

I guess it just makes it so the actual fibers won't absorb water. Now here's the question, being that this is untreated nylon, will it naturally wick moisture away from your body? And will the DWR affect that?

Also, I'm wondering if the DWR does anything prevent mosquitoes from biting through the fabric. Anyone know if two layers of 1.1oz ripstop would keep them out anyways?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
    I guess it just makes it so the actual fibers won't absorb water. Now here's the question, being that this is untreated nylon, will it naturally wick moisture away from your body? And will the DWR affect that?

Also, I'm wondering if the DWR does anything prevent mosquitoes from biting through the fabric. Anyone know if two layers of 1.1oz ripstop would keep them out anyways?
    Your first question is the one I'm most interested in as well. From what I've heard I do not think I will apply the dwr so the fabric can breathe better.

I'm pretty sure the double layer of 1.1 nylon is mosquitoproof. I hot sealed all of the edges of the fabric with a soldering iron. The material does unravel quickly.

Also still considering whether to use a spray on or wash in pyremetherin treatment...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    Recognizing that Michigan has entertained the idea of making our mosquitos the state bird, I have a claytor and have been bitten from the underside through both layers. I hate it when that happens. So, I put something light under me to prevent it, even in the warmest of conditions. They can get through, at least the mosquitos we have.
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

Bobby Seale

http://www.riverjourneys.org