Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
    Wow! I just looked at the price of an Eiderdown comforter. $7,600 fir a winter king.

Eiderdown comforters

Psshh - that's cheap.
    I've seen them as high as $20,000 US but that doesn't include the airfare & accommodations to go pick it up in Iceland (I wouldn't just put that in a DHL box and slap a label on it).

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Several companies are in the process of implementing programs to insure ethical treatment of animals used for down garments. Our supplier is one of the main driving forces along with their partner NF...

SPORTONE
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I just bought 5lbs of down from a wholesaler. Their eiderdown was around $800/lb.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Several companies are in the process of implementing programs to insure ethical treatment of animals used for down garments. Our supplier is one of the main driving forces along with their partner NF...

SPORTONE
    Awesome, thanks a ton for that article! That is exactly what I was looking for! I am thinking about buying a summer underquilt, and UGQ just scored big in my book!
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 2eez4life View Post
    Pretty much, is it a sustainable practice?
    Great question... After watching what the hairstyle trend did to feather merchants and the subsequent rebound, I think it is sustainable. Down could get a lot more expensive if we continue to drive the demand in a shortage though. ($45 saddles sold for over $500 because people were paying $20 for a feather in their hair. That isn't the case with goose down, but it could get ridiculous too.)

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Of course it's sustainable. The problem is that for warm winter wear you have two choices--either use unsustainable synthetics (they are made using oil which is not renewable) or use animal products like wool and down. ...
    Oil isn't only used for our insulation. It is in our hammocks, clothes, packs, suspensions, etc... (Just something else to think about when we look at new gear.)

Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post

SPORTONE
    Thanks for the info. That was a good read. Patagonia always seems to be in the front of environmental trends. 1% for the planet is something I pay attention to when I buy from a large manufacturer. It's nice to see TNF paying attention and being responsible too.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234