Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: score!

Great deal!
    Did they look so shiny when you got them or did you polish them?

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    That's exactly how I got them. I'll probably never use that foot Dutch, so if you want it, it's yours
    Debi

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Yes- looks to me like it's a rolled hem foot for 'handkerchief' (narrow) rolled hems. I tried to get one of mine like this working last weekend and gave up after 10 mins or so..there are YouTube videos which make it look easy...
    Messing with tweezers and rolling 1/8" hems is not for me, I guess.....

BTW, YouTube is a great spot for sewing demos - how to sew in zippers, do different kinds of seams/hems, etc...

You sometimes need to look at the underside of presser feet to figure out their function - ones for sewing cord/piping/invisible zips will have one or more 'grooves' on the underside.

My guesses:
    From the left:
    Zipper foot
    Regular/zigzag foot
    ? ? ? Regular or ??
    Free motion embroidery?
    Embroidery/darning?
    Regular/zigzag foot
    Rolled hem foot.

BTW, while you should double-check your machine, the Elnas/Kenmores and a bunch more machines (Singer, Brother, Babylock, Husqvarna Viking (Husky Series), Euro-pro, Janome, Kenmore, White, Juki, Bernina (Bernette Series), New Home, Simplicity, Necchi ) all use low shank feet.

The slant needle Singers use a different (slanted) foot, AFAIK.

Pfaff and most industrial machines (well, the couple I've used, anyhow ) use 'High Shank' feet.

Debbi- just send me that Elna and I'll buy you any presser feet you want !
    The funny thing about the rolled hem foot is that I have gone to Joann's fabric and they had no idea what I was talking about and even tried a private sewing machine service place and they had one that would sew a tiny hem one similar to a hankerchief only

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Nice score Debi.

I've got a Singer low shank foot hemmer I could send you if that's what you need. PM me your address and give me a week to get it sent.

Attachment 59181 Attachment 59182
    you were my next stop, gmcttr, I figured if I coudn't find the foot I needed anywhere here, you would know where I could get one
    Debi

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    That's exactly how I got them. I'll probably never use that foot Dutch, so if you want it, it's yours
    The one I offered is a narrow foot to match the feed dogs on the older Singer machines. If Dutch has a machine with wider feed dogs, the hemmer foot you have looks to be a better match.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleman View Post
    ...and they had one that would sew a tiny hem one similar to a hankerchief only
    That is what the hemmer feet in this thread make...a very narrow rolled hem for handkerchiefs and shirttails.

You need an attachment like these to make wider rolled hems. Note that these require two threaded mounting holes in the sewing machine bed that many modern home machines do not have.

PrisonerOfGravity came up with a nice way to make your own rolled hem attachment.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The one I offered is a narrow foot to match the feed dogs on the older Singer machines. If Dutch has a machine with wider feed dogs, the hemmer foot you have looks to be a better match.
    Joining in the party here...
    If Dutch or any of you folks can use these, let me know via pm and I'll get them on the way to you.

Greist low shank feet:
    Narrow hemmer
    Then a set of three which clip into the same shank fitting:
    Hemmer
    Binder
    Edge stitcher
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    And as soon as I get back from vacation I'll throw all the various sets of attachments I have, that I don't need and will never use, in the ring as well. It won't be until early January but after looking in my stack of sewing storage drawers apparently I have been hogging more than my fair share of somewhat desirable attachments. They may as well go to good loving homes rather than sitting taking up space.

I know I have an incomplete set of Greist attachments for a straight shank, a ziplock with another bunch of Singer attachments and another box of stuff that I think came from the Singer that drowned in a flood (the attachments were stored up high and survived. There's a ruffler in there as well, although I don't know that it will ever see a use in gear making...

The 401A is a slant shank and the only thing I drag the 15-91 out for is to use the buttonholer attachment on it. Those I'm hanging on to!!

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I went back to the Salvation Army store this morning as soon as they opened, and asked about the Elna. It went in to the scrap metal bin after I left yesterday, and the scrap metal gets picked up every night
    I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for any more that show up.
    I also told the store staff that if/when they ever scrap a machine, they should keep the attachments as they can be pretty hard to come by.
    Aw, c'mon Boot, you don't want to put ruffles on your tarp??
    Debi

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    I went back to the Salvation Army store this morning as soon as they opened, and asked about the Elna. It went in to the scrap metal bin after I left yesterday, and the scrap metal gets picked up every night

Oh, well- you gave it a shot- getting there at opening time was about all you could do. Just to make you feel worse those Elna discs sell for $10 apiece or so on EBay... and the desirable ones like the #02 (zigzag) go for more.

Seriously, if you or your hubby have any interest in playing with older machines, those older Elnas are pretty nice...though now that you are on the lookout it may be a while before another one turns up - that seems to be the pattern. Elnas/Pfaffs were pretty upscale in the 1950s, so most folks got Singers or Singer knockoffs- they were easier to find, cheaper, easier to service, etc... My Mom still remembers how she had her heart set on an Elna in the early 50s (her aunt had a little sewing business and had an Elna by then), when her ('thrifty') mother-in-law presented her with a new (black, straight stitch only) Singer. So, 'that was that' for the next 30 yrs or so! SWMBO and all that....

If I can grab something like that Elna for $20 or so and get a few hours of 'playtime' out of it, it seems worthwhile. Cheaper than a movie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123