WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I can be pretty fast with my set-up if I need be. If I come to camp and perfect trees are sitting right where I want them. Or it is raining. I can get fast.
    Using WhoopieSling/Tree Staps and two lines with Dutch Flyz on prusiks on my tarp.
    But….I generally like to take my time and scout the area for a bit. Sometimes my perfect hang is back in the woods a bit.
    With a Group I like to watch them set up and then go and see what magic spot I can find.
    I was concerned with speed of set-up when I first began hanging but not now. Sometimes tenters can set up faster and sometimes not.
    Set up is a camp chore I enjoy too much to rush.
    Not exactly what your asking but my story.
    Shug…the Slow…or Speedy. Depending.
    Well said sir :-)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Gram weenies will shudder but I used small split rings to put Figure-9's on my guy outs. These days I try to get the adjustment at the end of the guy other than the stake. This epiphany happened as I was setting up a portable mast for a ham radio antenna. I knew the neighbors were having a laugh as I tried to use some PVC pipe on a base to hold the painter pole upright, then go to each of the three guy lines and get them close then circle, and circle again, to each stake loosening here, tightening there.

Then I realized I could make the adjustments at the pole end of the guy lines. Now a fixed loop on one end of the guy line goes around the stake and all three loose ends are brought to the mast. I can hold the mast vertical with my arm around it and using Figure-9's, I snug each guy appropriately to keep the mast vertical.

That worked so well I did the same for my tarps. Now I adjust them at the tarp end, not the stake end. As some pointed out, if it is raining you don't have to get so much out from under the trap to tighten things up.

After I learned to work with Amsteel (tools: #5 knitting needle, awl, loop turner), I made some soft shackles and used the design here:

http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_9.php

That stye doesn't need a "retrieving line" as there is no way to pull the loop in on itself.

I think one underemphasized issue is what kind of trees and temperatures you will have. In the winter, with temps below freezing, I don't think I want to mess with whoopie slings.

And from videos I've seen, the trees in the NW are generally much larger than the YouTube examples from other parts of the US. That means more webbing.

So rather than carry a length that both goes around the trunk and has remaining length for Marlin Spike Hitch or cinch buckles, I might want to carry webbing (relatively heavy) just to go around a tree and hold a binder with two rings to lock a line suspension. Then have line (relatively light) go to the hammock.

But by just picking one, any one, and hanging outside - you can't loose.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Think about it. On the biggest trees you want to go for the difference between all webbing and putting some line in the middle is about 4 ft of webbing. 2 on each end. On the other side the transition between straps and rope eats up from several inches to a foot or so depending on what is used. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Good point. But there are other factors - like a preference to using two rings and line over adjusting a whoopie constriction, especially when cold.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    No one ever waits on me. Quite the contrary, I'm always waiting on others to pack up. I'm up really before its that light outside, and am usually packed before some have even started cooking breakfast.
    My set-up skills could use some work sometimes. My rainfly I've gotten down to getting up but-quick. Its rolled in its sack to deploy quickly, with the coiled line on top. I keep the ridge line strung through the clips, so its: 1. Pull out line with carabiner, loop around tee and clip to itself. 2. Pull out other line, pull around tree and tie prussic. 3. Pull bag off fly, and slide clips out. 4. stake it out.
    After that's up I can go slow doing my hammock and make sure nothing touches the ground. On my last trip I had some tree strap issues, but I think I've worked those out now.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I have my whole setup in a dry bag used like a bishop bag. My setup time is less than a minute, but I rarely use a trap. If I need the tarp it adds a minute or two.
    Carpe noctem!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123