Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap

Weight: Burrow 40º Wide/Standard?

Hi all, What's the weight of a Wide/Standard, Standard Taper, Snap close Burrow 40º?
    Anyone got the weight? I'm just gram weenie-ing and can't find any details on the site or google.
    Last edited by kerryandjane; 12-10-2013 at 10:20. Reason: Additional info.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    If you click on product description on the page there is a table, weight for wide/reg is not listed but it will be a shade ove 12 judging from the weight of the long/standard.

Quote Originally Posted by kerryandjane View Post
    Hi all, What's the weight of a Wide/Standard, Standard Taper, Snap close Burrow 40º?
    Anyone got the weight? I'm just gram weenie-ing and can't find any details on the site or google.
    I'll bite since I'm home on a snow day. The standard weighs 4.6 oz without the down (11.6 total minus 7.0 oz fill). So each square inch of the unfilled bag weighs 0.001243243 ounces (4.6/(74" x 50" dimension).

Multiply that 0.001243243 ounces per square inch by the dimensions of the wide/standard (74" x 55") and you get 5.06 oz. Add the stated fill weight of 7.7 oz for the wide/standard and that totals an estimated 12.76 oz for a wide/standard TQ.

Cross check that with the fact that they add 10% more fill to the wide/standard (7.7 oz vs 7 oz) and it makes sense that the fabric dimensions also come out at an exact 10% more.

Will it be off by a few grams...I'm sure it will, but should give you a good general expectation.

For a follow-on question, I suggest that someone calculate how many fewer centimeters you will be able to hike each day due to the burden of carrying that extra 1.16 ounces by going with the wide/standard.

And for the trifecta, Would you be better off carrying an extra 130 calories of food for that 1.16 ounce penalty instead?

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap

Cool

In the end the weight ended up being 488g (17.2oz) with a 14g stuff sack. Alot more than I expected.

Thanks for the tricky calculations. It's still all gobbledygook, ounces and inches are **** on a bull to me. I've never had to use them before my "Hammock epiphany". I have to run each measurement through google to work it out. I mean every measurement outside the metric system.

I've read your post a few times. I'm still scratching my head over it. Mainly why your follow-on question is a suggestion and not a question at all. Your lack of posts (you're new, like me) and your trifecta explains a little I guess.

A question:
    Where did the "hiker trying to weigh his gear" touch you?

I'm new to the forums and hiking in general. It's been a long time since I got outdoors. Grams/oz are important to a lot of (if not all) people on this forum. I'm taking tips from the pros and weighing all my gear.

That weight is definitely more than I suspected. My Burrow 20 degree in regular/short arrived at a weight of 17.4 oz w/ stuff sack vs stated weight of 16.1 oz on the website, so not off by much.

I'm very happy with mine, and hope you enjoy yours.

My follow-on questions were just an attempt at humor, not at you but some of the posts where people express angst over a few grams here and there. I also strive to keep weight down as much as possible and a few ounces here and there do add up to a pound, but in the end if an item or two end up weighting a few ounces more than anticipated I don't think it will make a difference in my hike.

Merry Christmas!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    My 20* Burrow (standard/standard/snap close/straight taper) was 17.8 oz in its stuff sack. Not sure how much weight the "wide" option adds, if the HG site doesn't specify this.

Google sent me to some site that says 17.8 oz is 504.62151118 grams, whatever they are. Hope that helps...

• + New Posts