Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks once again Ranger Marci. It is so great to work closely with officials especially in the winter. Everyone was great in the past and I hope we hold up our end.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes, thanks Marci. It's great to know & work with folks like you & the other rangers there.
    I hope you'll be around to come by the group site & visit with us.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I want to add MY gear list, at least the extra stuff I bring for hiking on this outing. It is not all inclusive, nor meant to be any kind of guide, but as a starting point for anyone in doubt.
    First I will list my hammock gear for the first MRHO, because I was NEW to winter camping & had yet to build my gear up, it was skimpy
    From top to bottom:
    Tarp (10' X 10' gear guide tarp)
    VERY VERY old sleeping bag, that new it's 30 degree rating was VERY generous!
    Me in (FSO): underclothing, 2 sweat shirts, cotton work pants, wool socks,,, I think I had a hat,,, maybe.
    Blue CCF pad
    Hammock (grand trunk UL)
    Poorly rigged fleece blanket. By the 2nd night, Pan had fixed my fleece, so I was warmer.
    Sort of wrapped around the head area of my hammock a small "Space blanket".

That first night got down to around 17 F. I stayed mostly warm with the help of a few hand warmers. for the 2nd & 3rd night, I moved to a more sheltered location & was MUCH warmer.

Now, for the current in the hammock set up:
    The Palace a 13.5' X 10' tarp. With one end blocked by a homemade door.
    A JRB no sniveler.
    The above mentioned sleeping bag now cut as a TQ (for "just in case")
    Me, wearing similar to above, with a hat & gloves at the ready.
    Over the foot box is my winter coat.
    Lost biker hammock, without the bug netting deployed.
    if below 30: in between the 2 layers of the hammock, a truckers window shade.
    Homemade from a Ray J kit, 3/4 length UQ.
    IF I need it, a New River UQ.

That is good for me down to about 5 F, unless I get too warm, then I get wet & have to use 2 hand warmers. NOTE: do not open any chemical warmers before need, you MAY get too warm (as I do) & get wet. Hot equals sweat, sweat is wet, wet is cold!

Where I get into,,,,,, problems, is standing around talking. Not so much while standing there, it's when I go for a walk, & forget to remove my "standing around clothing" I get VERY hot VERY fast. There are pictures of me, in pants & boots. The temp on the thermometer near me is 17. I was too hot, had to cool off for 2 reasons: to keep from passing out & to stay dry, by staying dry I would stay warm.

Anyway, my standing around clothing is:
    FSO above the waist; Poly pro T shirt, under armor long sleeved Tee. Then layers as needed, available; Fleece vest, nylon vest, Fleece zipper jacket, synthetic "staypuffed man" coat. Liner gloves & thinsulate gloves as needed. On head above 30, RDB tarp hat, Below 30 poly watch cap, below about 10 add a face mask.
    FSO below the waist; Polly boxer briefs (IMPORTANT, as they wick moisture), Panty hose*, nylon, breathable rain pants. Available if I need to: Poly long johns, extra socks.
    On my feet: Thinsulate lined water resistant (not water proof) hiking boots, wool socks. The boots are large enough that I can add a pair of socks without making everything too tight. Available if needed, a pair of heavily insulated "winter boots" 2 sizes too big so I can add socks to my heart's content AND the nice big hand warmers for when my toes get cold. Have had to take out the had warmers when I got too hot, but my toes were warm!

* YES, panty hose! Go ahead & Laugh, I would! Then, go get yourself a pair. I use ones about 2 sizes too big, they seem warmer. AND I cut off the toes so I can take off or put on without taking off my boots, the extra large size helps here.

As stated in the guide elsewhere in this thread: "Now is not the time to skimp on ANYTHING!" You may not need it, but as this is car camping for the most part: PLEASE, bring: extra clothing, food, water, clothing, insulation, food, food & FOOD! This is not the outing to cut calories on! Trust me, you will not gain weight if you stay outside here.

Got questions? Feel free to ask! Ask now, or at the hang! DO NOT BE SHY!

OH, a "bonus" tip: Drink a LOT of water!
    "Bonus tip #2: Drink a LOT of water!!!
    Not peeing at least every 2 hours, you ain't drinking enough!! "But Doctari, I don't pee that often, ever!" refer to bonus tips #1 & #2.
    Not peeing clear: you ain't drinking enough!!

Tips 1 & 2 corollary: Alcohol does NOT warm you up!!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    So, looks like at least 10 are coming.
    Not mandatory, but if you are planning on being there, if you could sign on the spread sheet, that would be greatly appreciated!!

FWIW: Firewalker & I are planning on getting there around 1600 (4:00PM) on Wednesday. Earlier if he can get off work before his scheduled 0900, & if I can have everything packed by then.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Looks like 13 already. I added a couple of tasks to sheet two of the spread sheet. One is to have a fire ready Thursday evening to warm any people who have hiked in or done day hikes. The second is to have a pot of hot water on Saturday, in case people come back from a day hike in need of a warm drink. I have two boxes of cocoa left over from MAHHA, thanks to Country Roads.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I got this email from Ranger Marcia today.

"I finally got in touch with Jim. A truckload of split firewood is $60. All his stuff is aged & usually locust. He probably has the prettiest firewood you will find. High quality control.

Marceia Holland
    Assistant Park Manager
    Grayson Highlands State Park
    276-579-7092 "

I responded that it sounds good to me but I would let others in the planning process speak before giving the go-a-head.
    I also asked if this was a bed full in a full size truck. Probably is but I just wanted to be sure.
    Also, I wonder if one load will be enough. What cha tink?

If this sounds good I'll find out if the man wants to get paid in advance or that weekend.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Locust puts out a lot of heat. See if Doctari wants to get it delivered early, as he would be there to pay for it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Locust puts out a lot of heat. See if Doctari wants to get it delivered early, as he would be there to pay for it.
    I'm getting to Grayson Wednesday around 1600 - 1630, as we are getting in that late, hiking to the summit is out of the question, so perhaps I could camp at the group & meet Jim. Will be heading out first thing Thursday AM though.

Have to see if I got $60.00 in the budget. Boss (wife) is out for the day so,,,,,,

FYI: I just found the raffle tickets, there are (I think) 100 tickets & I do not want to take any of them home*, so bring a LOT of money for the raffle. :-)

*Cause I'll loose them.
    Last edited by Doctari; 12-19-2013 at 14:00.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I'm getting to Grayson Wednesday around 1600 - 1630, as we are getting in that late, hiking to the summit is out of the question, so perhaps I could camp at the group & meet Jim. Will be heading out first thing Thursday AM though.

Have to see if I got $60.00 in the budget. Boss (wife) is out for the day so,,,,,,

FYI: I just found the raffle tickets, there are (I think) 100 tickets & I do not want to take any of them home*, so bring a LOT of money for the raffle. :-)

*Cause I'll loose them.
    Doctari, I will cover the 1st load of firewood. If you need the money before I get there PM me and I will get it to you.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps

Going to give it a go.

I just got my new WB Lynx UQ and SpinDrift sock for my RR so I think I'm going to give this hang a try. I'll either be showing up late Thurs. evening or Friday mid-day. I don't like the idea of setting-up in the dark so it will probably be Friday mid-day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast