Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Bankheadboy's Big EZ
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Y'all, drive safely Doctari. You've probably driven in every way in the book, but instead of Damascus, from I-81 exit 19, you might consider SR 600 from the second Chilhowie exit crossing between, Mt Rogers and Whitetop at Elk Garden then left at the foot of the mt on US58 just a few miles from GHSP. That way you could check out what's goin' on up high.

I'm strongly considering walking from Fox Creek starting Friday morning and heading straight down from Scales. Kinda dread that creek crossing

I guess I better start checking out my gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post

I'm strongly considering walking from Fox Creek starting Friday morning and heading straight down from Scales. Kinda dread that creek crossing

I guess I better start checking out my gear.
    I'll have extra dry socks with me.
    In fact, I'll have several changes of dry clothes and footwear. Last year I did okay at the Wise shelter because I had dry layers to substitute for wet ones, but then I got wet wading Quebec Branch, and next morning I had no dry footwear or dry gloves to put on. If the weather report is to be believed (Hah!) the stream crossings shouldn't be too bad this year. Give a holler if you need dry duds when you get to the campground.

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    I plan on bringing a coleman two burner stove as well if anyone needs it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    I was thinking what I need to take to heat up Donna's chilli, but since you are bringing Coleman stoves......can I reserve a spot on one?
    For Chili, you can have TWO spots!!!!!!!!!
    Sounds like there will be 3 stoves, so 6 burners, & I have (I think) 3 bottles of propane so we should be good.

For those who have not been paying attention & are new: This weekend is a BAD weekend to be on a low fat diet, Even without doing any hiking you can burn through a LOT of calories. For example, my Scotch eggs are; 1/6 a pound of sausage wrapped around a hard boiled egg, dipped in a whipped egg & then rolled in bread crumbs. I'm not exactly sure, but ONE of them is around 270 calories, with a bunch of that being from fat. Eat them every day at home & you will make Jabba the Hutt look skinny, out there, 2 will help you sleep thru the night. Suffice it to say: we don't make them for use at home.
    Having had much of the offerings at the pot luck, I do believe that there is a bunch of calories from fat in nearly everything. 3 years ago Firewalker & I each ate for breakfast Friday: 1/2 dozen eggs, 1/2 pound of bacon & other stuff I don't remember, I was very hungry within about 1 hour.
    Food is the fuel that keeps you warm, insulation is what keeps that heat in. No food, no heat, , , no heat, nothing for your insulation to keep in. I'm taking 2 cans of Spam JUST for the 4.5 mile hike up to the summit of Mt Rogers. AND, a pound of salami and about 8 OZ of olive oil, that's just for 2 nights & about 11 miles of hiking over 3 days.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Henn Exp lite or WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopy on Kevlar
    Doc, I like to rely on tuna salad made from tuna in oil for my high fat meals. Then avoid processed sugar at all costs, no candy or sweet drinks. Blood sugar spike causes insulin spike which results in blood sugar crash and a crash metabolic rate. I like to rely on one gram of protein for every 4 grams of complex carbs eaten every couple hours throughout the day with almonds for omega 3s to stimulate higher metabolic rate.

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Wlb007 View Post
    Doc, I like to rely on tuna salad made from tuna in oil for my high fat meals. Then avoid processed sugar at all costs, no candy or sweet drinks. Blood sugar spike causes insulin spike which results in blood sugar crash and a crash metabolic rate. I like to rely on one gram of protein for every 4 grams of complex carbs eaten every couple hours throughout the day with almonds for omega 3s to stimulate higher metabolic rate.
    I suck at math and will be drinking cheerwine

Hammock
    Henn Exp lite or WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopy on Kevlar
    Power bars and cliffs bars are typically 4 to 1 bring a case and your covered.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Plan a good supper Friday night, when it will be cold. I usually reheat good leftovers from home. Use a cooler to keep food from freezing. No one is going to starve on Saturday, but pay attention to snacks and drinking water you carry on day hikes. Everyone will have food to share.

Doctari, don't forget to start your hike with "not enough" clothing on. All those calories will have you sweating again. You can manage your metabolism!
    Last edited by WV; 01-14-2014 at 15:36.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    I am planning on bringing a big pot of pinto beans for the pot luck. if I could use one of those nifty Coleman stove eyes it would be great if not that's fine as it will re-heat on the fire just as well
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Plan a good supper Friday night, when it will be cold. I usually reheat good leftovers from home. Use a cooler to keep food from freezing. No one is going to starve on Saturday, but pay attention to snacks and drinking water you carry on day hikes. Everyone will have food to share.

Doctari, don't forget to start your hike with "not enough" clothing on. All those calories will have you sweating again. You can manage your metabolism!
    Yea, you would think that after all the times I have gotten overheated in winter, I would learn. I'm slow to pick up stuff

I'm actually thinking of hiking in my kilt this year, JUST to stay cool! AND, I have a full set of extra clothing in case I do get wet from overheating. Plus about 3 sets in Jeep.

So, we got Firewalker's stuff packed in Jeep, I'm nearly there. Got 24 Scotch eggs done, will have the other 12 done in a bit. They will arrive in an aluminum pan so we can sit them near the fire to warm up, & I got mustard for those who like mustard on sausage (I DO!).
    We are hoping to leave Cincinnati around 0500, so likely leaving 0600
    ETA is 1400 or sooner, depends on how much time we spend at stops along the way.

I plan on checking in here before we leave just to say "see Y-all there"
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast