Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HH Supershelter

HH Supershelter

HI folks, wondering if anyone has any experience with the SuperShelter setup from Hennesy.

I got my Explorer Deluxe last month and have spent a ton of time in it, ok so most of that was in the lounge but there were a few nights in the back yard before the snow came. I'm planning on going out again this weekend and trying Shug's space blanket/yoga mat/sleeping pad/me/sleeping bag sandwich setup before its gets proper cold. Will be my first snow hang ever so I'm keen to see how it goes.

I like the idea of the manufacturers solution which should mean everything fits together properly but just wanted some feedback should the Shug solution not quite cut it with the gear I have.
    Last edited by hankyknot; 12-10-2013 at 23:26.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    Search the forum and you'll find lots of Discussions on the super shelter. I've had mine down to the mid 30's and been comfortable. Some have gone lower.
    Thanks,

Mr. G

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." (St. Augustine)

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images

Great information.
    Only thing I would like to add is the new under/over covers can be added to your hammock with the hammock deployed. I have used both styles and the new one is very effortless to add on.

The super shelter is a great product. I did add the double bubble pad. This adds warmth but seems to cause me to perspire a lot more. It fits nicely in the hammock but is very slippery. With the newer HH they have attachment points inside the hammock to attach the pad so it will stay put. IMHO I would get the larger pad. Down fall they are bulky.

I am planning a few cold winter hangs so I went ahead and got a KAQ Potomac uq from ArrowHead equipment. I went with the added insulation to make it primarily a dedicated 0* winter uq.

Happy Hangin

Aaron
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Some folks have had really good results like me. Others hate it. You pays your money and takes your chances. Price/value I think it is the best option out there. But it has it definate limitations.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'll second what RamblinRev says. I've used it down into the teens comfortably...but that does seem to be more exception than rule. My youngest son is going to put a serious test on his this weekend when the temps may go single digit while we're out.

Neither of us have used the OC, although we have it. Weasel may well give it a shot this weekend.

It's well worth the money if it does work for you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'll second what RamblinRev says. I've used it down into the teens comfortably...but that does seem to be more exception than rule. My youngest son is going to put a serious test on his this weekend when the temps may go single digit while we're out.

Neither of us have used the OC, although we have it. Weasel may well give it a shot this weekend.

It's well worth the money if it does work for you.
    Roger that. If possible, make sure your son has something not needed for sleeping and top warmth that he can tuck beneath the HH pad and UC if he gets cold. Like a fleece jacket or something, insulated pants/vest, Parka, anything dry. Only because single digits is, as you know, really putting it to the test! I don't know about you, but I usually don't sleep in everything I have on a trip, though I might if my TQ or sleeping bag is way under rated for the expected temps.

This would also be a great chance to put the torso sized piece of 20" wide CCF pad under the HH pad, as suggested for testing in another thread.

Are RamblinRev and myself the only ones here who have the HH kidney/torso pads? So much added warmth for so little weight, but I don't know if HH even sells them anymore.

Is it better to put the extra items (Jackets, pants...) under the SS pad or on top? Or does it matter?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring

Super Shelter

I have used the super shelter and for real cold I add a military poncho liner between the foam and the space blanket. Sleep all night no problem. I also keep the outer retainer attached all the time and have used just my coat during those mild nights. Would highly recommend.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Roger that. If possible, make sure your son has something not needed for sleeping and top warmth that he can tuck beneath the HH pad and UC if he gets cold. Like a fleece jacket or something, insulated pants/vest, Parka, anything dry. Only because single digits is, as you know, really putting it to the test! I don't know about you, but I usually don't sleep in everything I have on a trip, though I might if my TQ or sleeping bag is way under rated for the expected temps.
    We're car camping, so we'll have some extra fleece blankets/poncho liners/etc... on stby for exactly this reason.

Neither Wes nor I sleep in all our clothes, even in this kind of weather. You've got to have something to put on to warm up with when you get out of the bag/quilts...is my preference at least.

We've got some extra pads, and Wes not only has his 0deg bag, but his MSS as well.

I'm more worried about my other son who's going to be grounding it out there...he's not done the cold weather thing much, and this one is gonna be a bit more challenging than others we've done.

This would also be a great chance to put the torso sized piece of 20" wide CCF pad under the HH pad, as suggested for testing in another thread.

Are RamblinRev and myself the only ones here who have the HH kidney/torso pads? So much added warmth for so little weight, but I don't know if HH even sells them anymore.
    I've never seen them advertised, and you're the only ones that I know of who've mentioned them.

Would like to give them a try sometime.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast