Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tyvek Hammock: taking bets

I just hung out in a Tyvek hammock. I'm taking bets on how long it will last.

Factoids: size, 10X6; construction, whipped ends on 1.5" webbing, Tyvek taped edges; structure, static line; my weight, 230#.

The idea was to come up with a simple way to have a windproof, waterproof but breathable hammock without having to hang layers of other stuff under the hammock. Tyvek would fill that bill -- if it doesn't ...er, let me down.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Let me know how breathable it is. I have always wondered, but I thought that I would still be in a bath of my own sweat . I like the width though.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I'll bet you still need to hang "layers of stuff" under the hammock.

I'll bet that the hammock lasts a while and will get more comfortable the longer you use it, but I'm curious as to how you whipped the ends - tyvek is slippery stuff.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Word on the street is that it softens up pretty good with a washing.

A double sheet bend and whipping may be a bit more secure than whipping alone if it's still slippery and crinkly.

Hang low.

Put me in the pool for 12 hangs before she goes.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    What's the weight?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Weight? haven't taken it down to check and haven't put a bug net on yet, without which an outdoor hammock is useless around here.

Softening? in the process.

Hang low? You bet, over a matress, in fact. I fully expect it to burst either directly under my butt or at the whipping.

Line attachment? I tied a couple of knots in the webbing, then whipped tightly with 1.25" of blind cord. No slippage so far. Tyvek is bulky and makes a very bid knot, so I whipped instead. I usually use a double sheet bend.

Breathability? It doesn't breathe as well as the uncoated nylon I usually use. It's intended use is for cold, windy and foul weather. So I'll have to wait until next January or February to give it a thorough test. On the other hand, it isn't uncomfortable in the mid 70s.

Width? The extra width is great! It makes a flat lay easier. The relative lack of stretch also contributes to a flat lay. I think I may add side extentions on a regular nylon hammock (no seams in middle).

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Is it the Homewrap-type Tyvek, or the softer garmet variety? I used Tyvek suits all the time when I was climbing and crawling through attics and crawlspaces inspecting homes. My observations were that it gets slightly uncomfortable if the attic temp is over 120 degrees, but it's otherwise good stuff. I'd usually use the same suit many days in a row; I'd only dispose of it if it had come in contact w/ asbestos or something like that. The fabric very rarely wore through, but often ripped where it had been stitched - no Tyvek tape on those suits.

I'll be interested to see how the hammock holds up. Maybe if the design is simple enough, you can just make a few and have a spare in the car when the first one starts looking questionable. That'd require a removable bugnet.

Images
    it does seem pretty hard to blow through so it can't be very breathable, but like you said, it's for cold weather so breathability might not matter at all. in fact if it's for colder weather why not consider sil?

tyvek seems pretty strong though. wouldn't trust weighting any stitches, but if you don't sew it then i could see it possibly holding up for awhile. depends on how much wear it gets where the suspension attaches, i think that will be the weakest spot.

wbg,
    Blowing thru it is no test for breathability. You can't blow thru GTx but water vapor passes thru. I used HomeWrap.

I finally weighed the Tyvek hammock. The Tyvek weighs 14 oz. and the webbing and static line bring it up to 21 oz. If it works as a reliable hammock - which is yet to be determined - it should save the weight of a weathershield.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    What are you planning on using for insulation with it?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast