Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by overthinker View Post
    I went with lots of overstuff - 10 ounces total in the quilt. I know, "way overboard", but hear me out.

I initially filled with 7 ounces, which should have come out to about 10% overstuff. No matter how much I shook the thing, the insulation seemed thin and there were parts of baffles that were simply empty. Then I started looking at other 3/4 and 1/2 length quilts, which led me to believe that the chart on the website are mathematically correct but may not actually be functionally correct.

For example, the 3/4 UQ on the Wilderness Logics site, which is where I bought my down, is stuffed with 9 oz. This quilt is also 2 inches narrower and 5 inches shorter than the Foyle, and is taper cut to boot. The Hammock Gear Phoenix 20 is an inch narrower and 8 inches shorter, and is stuffed with 8 ounces of 850 fill.

So, while I now have a heavier quilt that I imagined I would, I feel pretty secure in knowing that I won't have any cold spots creeping in on me while I'm sleeping. This is also one of the main advantages of DIY projects - you can always change things if you think you need to!

Thats gonna be a very nice piece of gear, when your finished can we see some pics?, also fyi, if you decide to go with another one in the future, like maybe a full length or some thing, the measurments on the site are not etched in stone, meaning that Dave will add a few inched here or there for you and it is usally at no extra charge.
    But please post pics when you can and congrates on the new piece of gear..

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I'll see if I can fire up the old potato and get some pictures posted. To be honest, the 5 foot length is really pretty optimal for what I was looking for. I'm 6'1", so really it's just either my head or my feet that hang over the edge of the quilt when hung. I laid out in it the other night for around 20 minutes in about 15 degree temperature with just a puffy jacket for a blanket and was nice and warm!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12