Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    EE TQ, Pad
    Suspension
    Straps & What-Not

Easy Tarp Deployment

I've read hundreds of posts, watched a great many videos, and laid awake at night, thinking of how I can best set up my tarp. Still, every time I go out and pitch the dang thing, I end up aggravated and tying too many knots.

I'm rocking a Superfly, and haven't yet gone to a continuous ridgeline setup. Maybe that's my problem, to begin with; I'm hassling too much getting the tarp centered over my hammock. On top of that, I have the corners to pull out and stake, then the doors to secure. It seems like an impossible amount of cord and stakes and configurations and guylines and stuff. There are ten points to tie cord to, not counting the pull-outs. If you count the pull-outs, 14! I'm looking at a continuous ridgeline and brummel-knot setup using figure-9's, but by the time I get all this gear compiled, I'm overwhelmed and have spent a ton o' dough.

Does anyone have a simple way to tie out a tarp? Feel like an idiot asking this, but any help is much appreciated.
    I'd rather be in a hammock. - Dolly Parton

Hammock
    S
    Tarp
    S
    Insulation
    Not Enough
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Trucker's hitch to the trees and marlin spike hitch to the stakes. Thats what I did before I got all this ti stuff.
    Theres nothing like danglin in dixie!!!!

Murphy's Law: When one toilet breaks they all break.....its all a buncha crap.

Im an educated idiot. The more I learn the less I know.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob E View Post
    I've read hundreds of posts, watched a great many videos, and laid awake at night, thinking of how I can best set up my tarp. Still, every time I go out and pitch the dang thing, I end up aggravated and tying too many knots.

I'm rocking a Superfly, and haven't yet gone to a continuous ridgeline setup. Maybe that's my problem, to begin with; I'm hassling too much getting the tarp centered over my hammock. On top of that, I have the corners to pull out and stake, then the doors to secure. It seems like an impossible amount of cord and stakes and configurations and guylines and stuff. There are ten points to tie cord to, not counting the pull-outs. If you count the pull-outs, 14! I'm looking at a continuous ridgeline and brummel-knot setup using figure-9's, but by the time I get all this gear compiled, I'm overwhelmed and have spent a ton o' dough.

Does anyone have a simple way to tie out a tarp? Feel like an idiot asking this, but any help is much appreciated.
    I do the first method for the ridgeline and the second for the ground stakes. For the panel pulls I use six foot of shock cord and six foot of Zing It in the method he describes. No hardware and simple:

Last edited by OldRagFreeze; 12-13-2013 at 21:26.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pndwind View Post
    Trucker's hitch to the trees and marlin spike hitch to the stakes. Thats what I did before I got all this ti stuff.
    +1 on this setup although I mainly use a slippery hitch in lieu of the truckers hitch. If you want serious tension on your line you cant beat the truckers hitch.
    Tonight I just switched back from a CRL to the separate lines on the end.
    Not that I think one is better than the other I just get bored & like to switch it up every now & then.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    EE TQ, Pad
    Suspension
    Straps & What-Not
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I do the first method for the ridgeline and the second for the ground stakes. For the panel pulls I use six foot of shock cord and six foot of Zing It in the method he describes. No hardware and simple:
    Bigtime epiphany. Thank you for this. I'll be pitching my tarp in the morning trying these methods - cheers!
    I'd rather be in a hammock. - Dolly Parton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I've found that a CRL with the tarp attached to prussigs is the simplest for adjusting the tarp over the hammock. I use a fixed eye with an S-biner on the anchor end, and use the overhand hitch as Brandon shows on the other end to tighten the ridge line.
    I prefer this method as it allows me to set the tarp first, adjust some, and quickly fine tune for the hammock once it's up if it's raining.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I use mini-line-locks (can get on this store site), attached to the four corners. That way, I can tighten the four corners of the tarp, while under the tarp. Makes it nice to not get wet when it is raining.

I store it in Kat's (mountaingoat gear) mesh snake skins.

I Figure-8 all the tie out lines over my fingers, then roll up into the tarp, pull the skins on, stuff in the outside pocket of the pack to it is then last packed and first deployed.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I use mini-line-locks (can get on this store site), attached to the four corners. That way, I can tighten the four corners of the tarp, while under the tarp. Makes it nice to not get wet when it is raining.

I store it in Kat's (mountaingoat gear) mesh snake skins.

I Figure-8 all the tie out lines over my fingers, then roll up into the tarp, pull the skins on, stuff in the outside pocket of the pack to it is then last packed and first deployed.
    This and I will fold back the doors of my SF, clipping them to the same side door before I store it away in the skin. That way, they are not in the way when I deploy - string up the tarp, center, stake out the corners then I can undo the doors and stake them out as needed.
    I also like the dual end lines with stingerz - simple and no knots. I find I can usually get my SF centered 'good enough' on the first try. I use a continuous sliding RL for my smaller tarp as that takes some fiddling too get it right.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    I've found that a CRL with the tarp attached to prussiks is the simplest for adjusting the tarp over the hammock. ........
    I prefer this method as it allows me to set the tarp first, adjust some, and quickly fine tune for the hammock once it's up if it's raining.
    +1

Me, too.

I use Amsteel CRL with a Figure9 for tensioning. Zing-it prussiks. Tarp clips to prussiks with mini-biners.
    Main tie-outs have line-locs at the tarp.
    Great for setup/teardown in the rain (with a biggish tarp).

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob E View Post
    Bigtime epiphany. Thank you for this. I'll be pitching my tarp in the morning trying these methods - cheers!
    As was said, you can get a little lazy and basically do everything with slippery half hitches but ideally what Brandon shows is best. I've often heard people praise CRLs but Brandon specifically discouraged them for the Superfly a while back (link). I think the cat cut ridgeline is better off being pulled from the ends...

Just my two cents, worth exactly what you paid for it.
    Last edited by OldRagFreeze; 12-14-2013 at 01:14.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast