DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies

Greetings from Alaska

I would like to introduce myself and get some advice on an 11' hammock to take out and hang in January in Alaska.

I am 6'2" and weigh around 350 max with clothes and gear and dog. I will also HANG while moose hunting this summer and backpacking.

It rains a lot, and is windy a lot, and there are bugs. So I will need a bug screen nore often than not as well as a big *** tarp like the wb one with the doors, the super fly I think.

Given the temperatures, I am partial the wbbb xlc with its cover for winter, as well the the dangerbird, with the cover as well, which also as innovative all get out, pure genius.

I have hammock camped before in a double nest but it didn't lay right forme, too short I think. I was above the tree line and tuts one end off to a stand of Alders and the other end to my 4 wheeler, it was not ideal but I was having nonetheless.

I am hoping to get something by the beginning of January (wife leaves the 8th so I can play), if that is possible. My goal is the good hammock first, I am set with a sleeping bag I can use as a quilt, then I need a tarp but I am sure I can get away with a big blue one till spring.

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I highly recommend the Clark NX-250.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    And...Welcome from South Alabama!

Images
    Welcome. I still 'hot tent' with my hammock, and it's even colder by you. I use the superfly you mentioned for the rest of the year.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by JP_dog View Post
    I would like to introduce myself and get some advice on an 11' hammock to take out and hang in January in Alaska.
    Welcome from California!

I just got the WBBB XLC in 1.1 dbl skeeter net only. Coming from a 10' WBBB to this one made for a substantial increase in comfort (6-2ish and 275ish). The view is much improved too...very pleased with this hammock and recommend it.

I'd say a 1.7 dbl for your weight and the ability to put in a ground pad for extra insulation. Looking forward to your hang report...Alaska in January, makes my California bones hurt just to think of it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Welcome from Virginia! I thought it was cold here...

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    [QUOTE=fallkniven;1153554]Welcome. I still 'hot tent' with my hammock, and it's even colder by you. I use the superfly you mentioned for the rest of the year.

What kind of hammock do you hang underneath that super fly? Do you see any reason why I couldn't hang an 11 foot underneath there? I think I see snake skins up there, do you wrap your hammock and your tarp in the snake skins?

I like the idea of the snake skins but it doesn't seem like anybody uses them with the danger bird. I made a bishop bag for my first hammocks, but I wasn't really impressed. The idea of snake skins is really appealing to me. Do you think I can get that danger Bird and the super fly into a set of snake skins?

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by chris0895 View Post
    I highly recommend the Clark NX-250.
    Thanks for the welcome. I saw the jungle hammock line, and I know when all is said and done I will be close to the cost, but it just doesn't look like what I am looking for, I can't really say what it is but it doesn't get me excited. The advertisement sounds to me like the opposite direction I want to go in, which is simple and light. Although the super fly is probably just as complicated to hang as the Clark. So maybe I am contradicting myself.

If I weighed under 200 and was under 6' I would have a 10lb pack just because I could. But being 6'2" I have to cut where ever possible because everything built for me weighs twice as much. I was in the best shape of my life at 275lbs playing football, I am built like a middle linebacker. I just don't have the endurance I did a decade ago, so I am getting into lightweight swing of things so I can forget pains of camping and go further.

Images
    [QUOTE=JP_dog;1153851]
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Welcome. I still 'hot tent' with my hammock, and it's even colder by you. I use the superfly you mentioned for the rest of the year.

What kind of hammock do you hang underneath that super fly? Do you see any reason why I couldn't hang an 11 foot underneath there? I think I see snake skins up there, do you wrap your hammock and your tarp in the snake skins?

I like the idea of the snake skins but it doesn't seem like anybody uses them with the danger bird. I made a bishop bag for my first hammocks, but I wasn't really impressed. The idea of snake skins is really appealing to me. Do you think I can get that danger Bird and the super fly into a set of snake skins?

I have a double sided stuff sack that I cram my hammock and uq into, the tarp stays in the skins, separate from my insulation. If it rains, I don't want a wet tarp packed with my down, I leave it in te front pocket of my pack. There are skins for the hammock and quilt called the lazy slug tube. Me, I leave the uq and uqp on the hammock, and shove it all into the stuff sack. Cram it into a drybag, then my tq and pillow goes ontop. Your 11' will be just fine.
    I use jrb's bridge, fit's nicely under the superfly as long as the sides are pulled out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast