Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images

Have I reached the end?

After my compulsory military service (here in Sweden) had finished I felt that the romantic image of the soldier carrying a backpack larger than himself for endless of miles and days was dead! I hated carrying that pack, 30 kilos in it and another 10-15 kilos with my rifle and vest doesn't equal heaven to me. So afterwards I began searching for ways to lighten my pack significantly and came across Just Jeffs site. That really blew my mind, I could get a lighter load and sleep comfortable by using a specialized camping hammock?! Too good to be true, I thought to myself. A few weeks later and there it was in my hands, a lovely brown HHULBA. Set up was (as a lot of you guys and girls know) a PITA, the knot in my opinion destroys the simplicity of hanging it. Searching for help to solve this and some more issues that I had with it made me stumble over this lovely site, talk about ruining your sleep I read loads of threads and asked the usual questions only to get even more confused! What I wanted was: top loading, a zipper, storage, easy hanging and subdue colours. The Clark NA popped out and I had ordered my second hammock! Hanging it worked out fine and I loved the weathershield, it really does the trick when the temps have dropped, yet I missed some of the features that the HHULBA has... so what happens, well for the quicker ones reading this I imaging that it's already been figured out by now, I've gone and bought the Black Bird together with a Yeti UQ! Like Pavlov's dog I've heard the Paypal bell and can't stop drooling until it gets here

So, is this my final one, have I reached the end? My wallet hopes so.
    Last edited by Chris.Biomed; 05-03-2009 at 15:31.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Well, of course you have. At least until the next person has an itch that the present options don't scratch. That person will ponder and play and make changes until there is a new something out there, and us gear heads will scramble to acquire it. It will take a lot of doing to eclipse the Blackbird, but time nor hammock innovation stands still for very long. Don't cancel that paypal account just yet.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Does a circle have an end??

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Until the BB V.2 comes out . . . Or until Mule's pleated bridge goes into production . . . Or until you get the DIY bug . . . Or Speer, JRB, Hennessy, ENO, Clark, Claytor, TTM, Byer comes out with new model. . . or . . . well no, it never ends!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    you're stuck in the never-ending story of gear addcidts now. There is always something else out there that you will want or try to make yourself. It just does not stop.
    Chris

Images
    Well, the BB/Yeti( in my case, BB with a WB torso UQ-- like a Yeti, but with CS instead of down) is comfy and REALLY hard to beat overall. But if you are not too big a boy, there is that JRB BMBH for a really unique approach, and also a super comfy one. Especially with the super warm, head to toe( and then some) coverage and zero fiddle factor of combining it with a JRB MWUQ. Pros and cons, but both great IMO. Hard for me to decide between these two.

And I'm sure some one will have something new in a year or two.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I empathize with you, totally. I had a HHULBA, traded up to a Clark NA, then fiddled with the DD. Now, I have two BB's, a Clark NA, a JRB BMBH and a bunch of lesser hammocks. My wallet has been tapped, but I think at the moment, I am content with my hanging gear - believe it or not.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Satisfaction is ever elusive. There's always the next best thing that comes along.

I bought my hammock because I loved the simplicity of the idea. Then you discover the need for under quilts, over quilts, larger tarps, tarp tents...
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I empathize with you, totally. I had a HHULBA, traded up to a Clark NA, then fiddled with the DD. Now, I have two BB's, a Clark NA, a JRB BMBH and a bunch of lesser hammocks. My wallet has been tapped, but I think at the moment, I am content with my hanging gear - believe it or not.
    I tried the DD as well, but I ended up on the ground after a frustrating night. Just couldn't find the sweet spot with it.

Now I shouldn't ask this (as my gear hunger might be awakened again) but how is the BMBH compared to the BB?

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I bought my hammock because I loved the simplicity of the idea. Then you discover the need for under quilts, over quilts, larger tarps, tarp tents...

Same here, I thought that all I needed was a sleeping bag and that was it... I was so wrong!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast