SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around

Tarp Final Width?

So I am looking at doing a large, 11X10-ft-wide tarp - at least that's what I'd like it to be.

But the silny fabrics vary pretty significantly in widths, and so I am wondering if a full 10' is unrealistic. For example, Ripstop by the Roll advertises a good price, but the finished size is only 59" (or 118" tot width). So if I figure to use up about 1.5" or so on the ridgeline, then use up 3/4" on each side for hems, I'm down to 115" width (give or take).

Hmmm. Is this normal? When we buy tarps, are they often measuring out at a few inches less than the advertised width? And lastly, will I even notice? I guess net loss is about 2.5" on each side..

Experiences? Advice?
    Last edited by Brancher; 12-14-2013 at 14:13. Reason: spelling
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Get some 2ds from DIY Gear. His is 62" wide (includes the selvage). I am getting ready to make 3 tarps from material I am getting from ripstopbythe roll. Not too worried about a slightly shorter width.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Get some 2ds from DIY Gear. His is 62" wide (includes the selvage).
    Fabric does vary in width. The latest (a few weeks ago) silnylon 2nds (which seem 100% fine, just like the last 2nds I bought) I got from Scott @ diygearsupply is 64+" wide. Depending on your seam.hem selection, you can get a tarp that's about 125" wide from that. But, as said, a couple of inches won't matter in the long haul.

If you want the max coverage, make the ridgeline straight-cut (not cat) and don't make your cat cuts on the outside edges too deep (especially if you think you might ever use your tarp as a tent).
    And, you can always add fabric panels if necessary. Order some spare fabric; it will be useful for stuff sacks and other stuff anyway...never too much in the fabric stash...

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    The great thing about fabric is it can be any size or shape you want, it just requires another seam.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Thanks, Prez, Yeah, cool - I have some gray in my 'cart' at DIY but really want some coyote brown or olive - so may go to OWF - they have some Olive right now.

Well, the last time I went to ground I was up on top of Mt Mitchell with my old HH Asym and there wasn't anything to hang onto at the top - - and their std tarp wasn't enough ....anyway, I'm figuring there's not too much to worry about with a couple of inches or so - heck, my Frankentarp is only prob'ly 7'9" wide at this point and it still covers me pretty much okay with its 9'7" (or so) length - but this one is gonna be a Superfly/JRB/Tadpole knock-off so I want to make sure I can get to ground as needed.

(yes, Frankentarp....don't ask.)

Tanks Victoria for the tip about straight-cut ridgeline - been thinking about that, and came across the JRB treatise on that and it made sense from a versatility standpoint. Also I know everybody and his brother thinks a 1" per foot cat-cut is 'normal', but I think I will make mine a little slimmer than that....maybe a 1/2" - 3/4" inch-per-foot, Don't know yet.

Just want to make sure it's a size I like for protection and don't mind carrying for my thru this year. I'll be experimenting on a couple of shorter hangs between now and then with my WBMJ and this one.

Hey, Streamline, how's that 8X10 working out? You ever gotten washed out with that thing? I'm planning to be at the Uwharrie thing in March - maybe I'll pick yer brain there?

br.
    Last edited by Brancher; 12-14-2013 at 21:04.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I just finished a Tadpole sized tarp and a poncho using "Brown - Coyote" 1.3 silnylon 2nds from Quest. It was 64+" wide and cost $6.70 per yard.

What they called "brown - coyote" I would call olive brown. I bought 10 yards to make the tarp and a poncho - if there were any flaws in these "2nds" I didn't see them. I'll post some pics next time I get out to string up the tarp.

They now have Silnylon 2nds in gray, brown "coyote", olive and forest - all listed as 65" wide. at $6.70 per yard.

I am very satisfied with the product and the service from Quest.

Pappy

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    I just finished a Tadpole sized tarp and a poncho using "Brown - Coyote" 1.3 silnylon 2nds from Quest. It was 64+" wide and cost $6.70 per yard.

What they called "brown - coyote" I would call olive brown. I bought 10 yards to make the tarp and a poncho - if there were any flaws in these "2nds" I didn't see them. I'll post some pics next time I get out to string up the tarp.

They now have Silnylon 2nds in gray, brown "coyote", olive and forest - all listed as 65" wide. at $6.70 per yard.

I am very satisfied with the product and the service from Quest.

Pappy
    Thanks! BTW, how much does the finished product with that 1.3? (I assume the 1.3 is 'finished weight' with silicon, etc?
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I finished the tarp with grosgrain along the ridgeline. I also reinforced the 4 tie points with a 4" patch of 2.7 oz / sq yd taffeta. The tarp dimensions are 128" long by 96" wide at the widest points. Without any lines it weighs 14.9 oz.

Yes, 1.1 RS coated is ~1.3 oz/sq yd. That seems to jive with the tarp weight.

Pappy

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    I think you have me mixed up with someone else brother

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Thanks for the responses - looks like Quest has a pretty extensive selection (one of the best I've seen from a single vendor). I'll have to give 'em a try - Good call!
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

• + New Posts