WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

diameter issues for AmSteel

In answers to my other posts, someone mentioned the safety factor on weight load. Not only does the load go up when the angle lower than 30 degrees, but I believe there is an effect when the diameter of what the line goes around gets smaller. The whoopie sling goes around a relatively large radius when tucked behind a Marlin Spike Hitch knot, but gets pretty small when just held by a Carabiner.

Have there been any concerns about that?

REI sells a plastic "spool" that fits on the older oval niners - it's like an emergency pulley; though someone pointed out it is almost the same radius of the binder itself. But going around that spool would widen the radius somewhat. Unfortunately, that little piece of plastic costs about $15.

Images
    I think it's matters more how sharp the edge is, not how small it is. If it was like one of Dutch's laser cut carabiners but didn't get rounded over, then I may think about it. Besides, when it has a breaking strength of 1600lbs., I won't concern myself with with the line and carabiner, I'm more worried if the seams of the hammock will rip. Heck, I don't even use tree straps anymore, just one long ucr with 2 whoopie hooks, shove a few sticks under it around the tree, haven't had problems yet...

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    We had a long discussion on this a while back resulting in me contacting Samson Rope and putting ours questions to one of their engineers.

Specifically, see my posts 27 &28... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78751

The short version is Samson's testing shows full strength is maintained when the amsteel is wrapped/hung over something with a radius 2x the diameter of the rope used. Even when the diameter hung on is only 1x the rope diameter, full strength is maintained but the break location moves (indicating you're at the limit).

Climbing biners are much larger than 2x the amsteel diameters we use so you're good to go using them. The spools are completely unnecessary.

Edit: fallkniven is correct that when hanging on something with a square cross section, it is the size of the object's corner's radii that matters. Not the width of the object.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 12-14-2013 at 18:55.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Good responses so far, and wise of you to consider every link in the chain, and not just the one element.

But really I'm just jumping in to say my middle daughter used to work at the REI in Bend.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts