Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raos View Post
    I am not limiting myself. I am open to any suggestions
    I would not leave out Wilderness Logic in your search for a good UQ. Our forum is blessed
    with some of the best made in the USA gear. Asking us to choose between two of them is very
    hard since we truly do love them all.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    The reason Wilderness Logic is not on the top of my list (but not ruled out) is the weight. All things being equal I of course want a lighter quilt.

One of the things that is making buying one so fun is that I know I will get a brand recommended here and everything mentioned here seems to be a great choice so I know I really can't go wrong. I am picking between all great products.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird (1.0/1.0)
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ & UGQ Zepp
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Arrowhead's Flame Thrower under quilt is made of 800 fill goose down.

There is a discussion on overfill here.https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=84560

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    Awesome, thanks for the link BabbyDaddy!

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BabbyDaddy View Post
    Arrowhead's Flame Thrower under quilt is made of 800 fill goose down.

There is a discussion on overfill here.https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=84560
    i am really quite fond of my Arrowhead Jarbridge river under quilt,i have 3 of them lolneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I guess my question then is do you ever find the down shifts down to the bottom leaving the sides less insulated when you do not want it to happen or does that pretty much only happen when you manually make it happen?
    When you shake it out after packing it in the down distributes evenly and it stays there very well. The sides snug up high and are lofted and warm. But by manually pushing it down to the middle you can get some serious loft on the bottom.
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    Sweet, thanks 2eez4life.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Oh just thought of another question while looking at UGQ. On many sites I see the option to overfill. Since I know next to nothing about this stuff I am not sure if/when/why/ I would need to overfill. How does each ounce of overfill affect the temp rating or is it not that simple? Is overfilling something I should be considering?

I am also not sure the difference between grey, white, duck, and goose down. Can anyone point me in the direction to educate myself? Thanks again. You all rock with all the great info you continue to give me!
    700vs850 DOWN

We offer two types of down fill for your choice, a ARD+ 700 Grey Duck Down (GDD) and a ARD+ 850 Grey Goose Down (GGD). Both the GDD and GGD are independently tested by IDFL for fill power, both are ARD+ treated down (hydrophobic), both will keep you toasty warm and last a lifetime with proper use and care. The 700+GDD will keep more $$$ in your pocket but put a little more weight in your pack, car, or canoe. The 850+GGD will lighten your pack load but it will also lighten your wallet.

Why is Duck down more affordable? Two reasons first we use a 700FP Duck down, if we used a 700FP Goose there would also be a savings over 850FP but not as dramatic. Second, since down is a by product of the food industry it is all about supply versus demand. The consumption of goose around the world is far less than the consumption of duck. So hence more duck down is available for the garment industry.

The difference between grey and white is strictly color, no performance differences what so ever.

Overfill, all cottage vendor over stuff their products including UGQ. That means that if a given quilt as a volume of say 1000CI then we vendors use enough down for 1200-1300CI, it varies from vendor to vendor. This provides stability and density to the down chamber during use between washes. As you use your gear the down will accumulate oils and dirt that migrate through the fabric affecting the loft of the down. UQ is not as prone to this issue but TQ certainly can be affected. No problem to address just properly wash your down gear and it will be back to full loft.

Adding additional over stuff is a personal choice, if you know you're a cold sleeper you might consider an oz or two, if you know you're going to push the quilt colder than rating you might add an oz or two, if you just want to insure you are warm at given rating you might want to add an oz or two. Rule of thumb for 850 is 3-4* per oz for 700 2-3* per oz....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    Thank you so much for that post Paul. That is so excellent info. I am glad I asked because all my assumptions were wrong. I figured there must be a difference between grey and white. I also didn't realize that down was a byproduct of the food industry. Very interesting indeed.

OK the Zeppelin 20 is in the running now too. Thanks for making my decision that much harder Paul

Hammock
    Camo WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 40*
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    I'm kinda in the same boat I'm looking for top quilts I just received a UGQ underquilt and the quality is top notch I also have several hammock gear items that are top notch. I can't decide between UGQ and HG, I like the fact that UGQ uses a hydro treated down, but I also like that hg does a straight taper or whatever he called it and has a 72"standard length. Ohh the decisions we have to make, too many choices but I guess that's a good thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast