Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles

Help me pick - HG or JRB

I am looking to get my first UQ. I have been reading all the threads here and have gotten some great info so far. Now I am just looking for opinions. I know that both of these quilts are well made and I really can't go wrong with either. I also know a lot will come down to personal preference. I am interested in everyones opinions on which they would pick based on my camping style.

I live in the North East. I mostly camp in the summer and spring, but now that I have fallen in love with hammock camping I would love to get out more and do some fall and possibly the occasional winter trip. I mostly car camp so weight in not the biggest issue, but I do sometimes hike a bit to a spot so while it is not my biggest concern it is still something to think about.

I have decided that I want real down and not synthetic. I also want a full length. I think I have it narrowed down to a Mount Washington 3 or the Incubator 20.

The MW3 used 800 fill power while the Incubator uses 850. I know next to nothing about fill power ratings. How much does 800 vs 850 (or 900 if I look at other options) matter?

Right now I am leaning towards the Incubator because of the baffle direction. Should I be that concerned about the baffles? For some reason, I am not sure why, I think I would like the Mt Wash better if it were not for the baffles. Am I making more of an issue out of it that it really is?

What are other things I should be thinking about or considering that I have not thought about yet?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

I have both...

...and they are each great products. The fill power is not important to you since weight is not an issue, and even if weight was a concern, the difference would be so little that unless you are a gram counter you would never notice. It takes a really small amount more of 800 vs. 850 fill power to create the same loft.

JRB uses a radial shaped baffle to create the differential nature of their UQ's. I don't think the baffle direction is a big issue as long as the quilt is adequately filled.

Biggest difference might be how quickly you need it. JRB is probably in stock. Unless you hold out for a used one for sale here...
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    Thanks Kanguru. That is good info on the fill power.

I am not in a rush to get it. I probably will not be buying anything until the spring.

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raos View Post
    I probably will not be buying anything until the spring.
    You should have dozens of used quilt opportunities between now and spring in the FS section.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    Awesome. I will keep my eyes open.

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    I was also trying to decide between the 2 choices you've posted. I ended up getting a 'like new' HG 0* Incubator from a member here at a good price. It's one of my favorite pieces in my winter kit. You can't go wrong with either of them, in my opinion. The HG just happened to be available 1st for me & I have no regrets.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    Sweet, thanks Bob. I think I am leaning more and more towards the HG. The price is slightly better and with all the positive reviews here I know I can't go wrong. I do like the idea of being able to wear the JRB as a sort of poncho, but I love gimmicky stuff. I seriously doubt I would ever really wear my UQ as a poncho. I just like the idea that I can. That is not enough to make me pick that one over another though.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I don't have any HG stuff, but I have seen it. It looks like good gear and the owners are happy, so it is probably a good choice.
    I do have a few pieces from JRB. I can tell you it is good stuff and I would buy from them again. I'm also confident that their gear will perform nicely, so I can recommend it.

Fill power is not going to be much different and you will not notice it, so I wouldn't let that determine your choice. I wouldn't worry about the suspension either. They will all hold the quilt against the hammock.

I would try to find a group hang and see what is there. Once you get to see things in person, then you can make a better decision. Good luck in your search.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I am looking to get my first UQ. I have been reading all the threads here and have gotten some great info so far. Now I am just looking for opinions. I know that both of these quilts are well made and I really can't go wrong with either. I also know a lot will come down to personal preference. I am interested in everyones opinions on which they would pick based on my camping style.

I live in the North East. I mostly camp in the summer and spring, but now that I have fallen in love with hammock camping I would love to get out more and do some fall and possibly the occasional winter trip. I mostly car camp so weight in not the biggest issue, but I do sometimes hike a bit to a spot so while it is not my biggest concern it is still something to think about.

I have decided that I want real down and not synthetic. I also want a full length. I think I have it narrowed down to a Mount Washington 3 or the Incubator 20.

The MW3 used 800 fill power while the Incubator uses 850. I know next to nothing about fill power ratings. How much does 800 vs 850 (or 900 if I look at other options) matter?

Right now I am leaning towards the Incubator because of the baffle direction. Should I be that concerned about the baffles? For some reason, I am not sure why, I think I would like the Mt Wash better if it were not for the baffles. Am I making more of an issue out of it that it really is?

What are other things I should be thinking about or considering that I have not thought about yet?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

i have had jrb and hammock gear both are great.
    put i prefer wilderness logics over jrb or hg.
    marty the owner of wilderness logics has the
    best of everything.price,custom work,quality
    and super customer serviceneo

http://wildernesslogics.com/main.sc
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Be careful...

I do like the idea of being able to wear the JRB as a sort of poncho, but I love gimmicky stuff. I seriously doubt I would ever really wear my UQ as a poncho.
    The JRB Snivler (wearable) series you are talking about can be used as under quilts however they are not made with differential cut construction so must be suspended very carefully when used as under quilt to prevent compressing the down and causing "cold butt syndrome. Mount Washington UQ's, and others manufacturers UQ specific quilts as well are designed to be suspended tightly under the hammock. Makes it very easy to use and prevents "CBS".

That being said, the Snivlers are my favorite top quilt for the reason they are wearable around camp! Paired with a JRB hood and sleeves they create a super warm down parka!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast