Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    To get started on your research, you can find a trail with this:
    http://www.trails.com/trails.aspx
    Then google the trail name/location for the specifics.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I'm a big fan of the Foothills Trail. Gorgeous scenery, easy access, and a series of wonderful places to both hike and camp. Terrain along here ranges from temperate rainforest river valleys up through mountain passes that make goats sweat.

Lots of stairs, though, in spots, so be prepared for some steep ascents and descents. It seems that the designers of the trail have subscribed to the "switchbacks are for wusses" school of trail building in spots.

For information on the trail, see the link above. Also (and I highly recommend this), AntiGravityGear has a Pocket Profile Map for the trail that gives elevation, water sources, campsites, major landmarks, and trail heads in an easy-to-use format.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    10x12 tarp
    Insulation
    Foam Pad.
    Suspension
    Nylon Straps
    As far as me asking for coords that is simply to get directions for my friend to get to the trail head using a road map. As we all know driving through the mountain back roads you can get twisted and lost quick with out an clear idea on where you are going. I will never enter the backwoods with out a compass my backpacking setup has 2 in my pack and 90% of the time I will print out a map and keep it in a ziploc. I have also taken multiple courses on Orienteering via ROTC Survival Club which required it every year and Eagle Scouts. Also note sometime trail names are a pain to find on road maps or via the internet as the trail name my be different at the site as it is on maps so coords seemed to be more reliable.

As always thank you all so much for you advice keep the locations and ideas coming. As of now me and my friends have plans to go almost every month now and intend to hike the entire Benton Mackaye trail at the end of summer beginning of fall.
    Last edited by thepapasmurf; 12-15-2013 at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by thepapasmurf View Post
    I think we may hit Benton Mackaye starting at 35.552995,-83.309178 though keep the advice coming want some options.
    I've done that section before. Very nice. Although when I did it is was very wet. Rained 4 days straight.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Check out the thread on the SALT
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Foothills Trail. Gorgeous scenery, easy access, and a series of wonderful places to both hike and camp. Terrain along here ranges from temperate rainforest river valleys up through mountain passes that make goats sweat.

Lots of stairs, though, in spots, so be prepared for some steep ascents and descents. It seems that the designers of the trail have subscribed to the "switchbacks are for wusses" school of trail building in spots.

For information on the trail, see the link above. Also (and I highly recommend this), AntiGravityGear has a Pocket Profile Map for the trail that gives elevation, water sources, campsites, major landmarks, and trail heads in an easy-to-use format.

Hope it helps!
    Beat me to it, FLRider. Also like the Bartram Trail, BMT, and the AT.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY ultralight hammock by Junebug
    Tarp
    WL TadPole
    Insulation
    Mmm ain't sure
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by thepapasmurf View Post
    A friend his brother and I are planning a trip in February to go backpacking and camping for 7 days. I live in upper SC near Charlotte, NC looking for something from here to VA and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where to start. We are looking for something we can spend a day or 2 hiking in. Prefer a trail with water sources. I have found plenty of trails via the internet but no gps coordinates on where to start or they do not give details like on if there is a creek or river on the trail and if it is possible to camp. So I humbly turn to the people here and hope someone can help me out.

I live in Rock Hill and I usually use Kings Mountain State park as the testing ground for my gear. There is a nice 16 mile loop, and plenty of water. You want to park at the state park entrance, not the national battle ground they lock the gates and don't open them until like 10 AM! Anyways if your close by run over there and grab a map. Hope it helps.
    Keep Calm
    Hike On

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I vote for the Foothills Trail mentioned above.
    You said seven day trip and hike in two days.
    I would start at Laurel Valley Access hike west. Spend the first night at one of the Three campsites at the top of Laurel Fork Falls where it dumps into Lake Jocassee. This is 8 miles.
    Day two, hike to the Toxaway Bridge where the Toxaway River runs into Lake Jocassee.
    You can set up a base camp there and hike north to Gorges State Park or continue west on the FHT.
    Make it an out and back or park at both ends and get out at either Bad Creek or Upper Whitewater Falls.
    You'd be looking at around 35 miles either way.
    Another option would be Panthertown Valley, near Sapphire NC.
    There is a great base camp where the Panthertown Valley trail meets the Powerline trail. It 's a pretty central location only about 30 minutes from your car. You can spend your 7 days hunting waterfalls.
    Another favorite is the Congaree Swamp.
    Just take I-77 to Columbia.
    You have two camping areas to pick from, either right by the car or a 15 minute hike. There are plenty of trails to hike and sights you won't see anywhere else.
    I look forward to your trip report.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    mamba jamba
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    marlin spike hitch
    Just did 20 miles on the foothills trail this past weekend, starting in Gorges State Park. Lake Jocassee is a beautiful lake with waterfalls everywhere, you can't go wrong there--easy access, nice camping areas, etc.
    "Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished"
    -Lao Tzu

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12