Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images

Florida, Green Swamp

Started off the weekend with Hangnyak and me meeting up at the parking lot around 11:30 Friday. We waited around a while to see if anyone else might be arriving. Couldn't stand it any longer so hit the trail at noon. After a 2 mile or so hike in we arrived at the first nights camp site only to find a camp that wouldn't hang 4 much less the crowd we were expecting. Wandering around in the brush we managed to find more hangs then obvious at first sight. After set up we walked to the river to check it out and let me try out the fishing. Managed 6 little Warmouth Perch, not big enough for a feast but good fun. Returned to the camp to find the Swamp Ape beating around in the woods. Turned out to be samsara setting up his site. Over the next few hours the others started drifting in. Grinder had started at the opposite trailhead and put in about 12 miles vs. our 2. Others included; O-boy, Craigc, MADD777, lilricky, and Ricktorfla. With some of those arriving after dark.

Saturday began with breakfast and packing up with a stop to top off water at the Withlacoochee River. An absolute necessary in one of the driest Swamps in the world. Our expected 5 mile hike to the second site ended up being an 8.7 mile experience. Arrival at the Mott Hammock was to find the complete opposite of the first site. Close to 2 or 3 acres of massive old growth Live Oaks with scattered Cabbage Palms. After setting up and supper most of us being exhausted found the hammocks early. This morning around 5:00 AM the rains came waking most for tarp checks and then lulling all back to sleep.

We had discussed the options of returning the 10 miles back to the trailhead or continuing on 5 miles to the East entrance. After determining that most of us wouldn't have made it back and water being almost gone we continued on.
    I had been dropped off by my wife Friday, and she was returning for me this afternoon so a call was made for pick up and shuttle back to the West parking lot.

For the first major hike of the season for most of us it was challenging but fun. Grinder continues to amaze. Where most of us completed about 15 miles he probably made 25+. All in all a beautiful weekend with good friends. Didn't take many photos but others did and will be posting them.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    It was a weekend of challenges and learning experiences for me. But hey, that's what motivates us to go back and do it better. Friday night started off with me grabbing the wrong can of fuel for my pocket Rocket stove. I got one meal cooked before it was empty. So, the rest of the weekend, I used my fire cooking skills. I also was experimenting using my Quest backpack without the frame sheet. Failed test. Use backpacks the way they were designed. It was pulling down on my shoulders the whole weekend. Last challenge was this morning, when my DIY tarp, which had never seen rain, got it's first test. The ridgeline seam had no leaks at all, but one of the four tie outs I had just sewed on a few weeks ago, was leaking pretty good. Guess I've got some work to do in the gear department. Even with the problems, I had a great time this weekend with a great bunch of guys! Looking forward to the next time. I didn't take a lot of pics, but here is a few.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    sorry, will upload from another site. Won't let me do thumbnails.
    RON

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben fiber +doors
    Insulation
    Muticam UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    Hope you guys had fun!
    .,====,_o00o
    //__l_l_,\____\,__ Jeep Life! +
    l_---\_l__l---[]lllllll[] Hammock Life = Awesome !
    _(o)_)__(o)_)-(o-)_)___

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness.

So Many projects...
    So Little Time..

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    RON

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    RON

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    (Posted this in the wrong place. copy ad paste has me here. I may not be trainable)

Well, the shindig is over and it was great.

My idea to walk from the east gate worked out (barely) I made it an hour before dark. I thought it would be 10 miles. It was around 13. Luckily, I had enough stored energy to keep pushing along at 2.5 to near 3 mph. I think I slowed down the last mile or so. I pulled in to see Old Dog, Hangnyak(sp?) and Samsara waiting for me. Craig was fishing as I crossed the bridge. Old Boy was setting up his camp.
    I remembered my frozen meatloaf and half a big sweetpotato, which went into the fire while I refilled my water. Dinner was good. I went to bed at about 8 and slept well.

Saturday morning found some new arrivals. Richtofla and lilricky and Madd777 showed up after I "hung it up", We departed around 10 AM, after a leisurely breakfast and BS. I left a bit ahead. I was stiff and tired from Friday's long (for me) walk and the miles seemed hard. The group caught me in an hour. I caught them on lunch break a mile or so from the next campsite. I ate my Ramen and dragged in.

My old DIY pack is about finished. The outside pocket had a big hole in it. I replaced it last week. Friday, the pack ripped a big tear along one of the stress lines. Either the old sewing seams I ripped out or repeated solar exposure weakened the fabric. It was about 5 year old.

I got my hammock up and took a nap. Then I visited a while and took another nap. Naps are GOOD!!

Sat night, we had an owl review, with one of them clearly in view in a tree overhanging the camp. They carried on for a half hour or so. That's good entertainment.

The Mott Hammock Campsite has no water. I had used half my water walking in the heat. Thus, I went to bed with 1/2 liter of water left.

It was a lot warmer Saturday night. Almost sweaty in my Hennessy type DIY

In the middle of the night, the head end of my DIY pulled through the larkshead. It was a short drop, no harm. I finished out the night using my hammock as a bivy.
    At 4 AM I heard thunder in the distance, soon it began to shower, followed by a pretty good rain for 15 to 20 minutes. Luckily, it didn't blow hard, so I was dry under my tarp on the ground. By daybreak, the rain was gone.

I skipped breakfast, since I had insufficient water. Left at 9. It was about 5 miles to the East Gate and my car.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    As...Love you guys, thanks for the reports and pictures! Sorry I didn't get to see y'all, but not sorry I missed the rain. Hiked in enough of that last summer to last ME a couple more months. Thought of you often.
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Olddog & Grinder summed it up pretty good. Saturday's temp was about 85 but Sunday's was a pleasant 65 thanks to that early morning rain.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    As always I had a great time with the gang even if it was only for Friday/Saturday morning. I'm glad I didn't make the rest of the trip though... my toe was upset with me for the 2 miles in 2 miles back. I did, however, manage to make it over the "Please don't kill me" bridge without incident (I survived Harbor Freight relatively unscathed too)

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast