Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Sounds like it turned out to be a great weekend. I as well am a ASM and at this time we have converted 50% of our troop into hammock campers. It was funny because we went to summer camp this past year and ended up with not enough platform tents and the SM and I put our hammocks up in the edge of the wood and had great sleeps even with the rain every day and night.

If your tarp leaks that much I would shelve it and buy a new tarp as I have never had a tarp that a vendor would tell you we had that problem and just spray it. Look at Warbonnet superfly as it has the doors attached or the HH hex fly (which I have) and it never leaked.

Have a great time with the scouts it will keep you young.

By the way using knots is much easier and lighter then anything else. It is also a great way to past the time in the cold raining winter weekend sitting at home practicing with your son.

Images
    A good quality good coverage tarp is priority 1 when you use down.

I would not shelve it, you might forget how bad it performs and use it again sometime in the future.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    Sounds like it turned out to be a great weekend. I as well am a ASM and at this time we have converted 50% of our troop into hammock campers. It was funny because we went to summer camp this past year and ended up with not enough platform tents and the SM and I put our hammocks up in the edge of the wood and had great sleeps even with the rain every day and night.

If your tarp leaks that much I would shelve it and buy a new tarp as I have never had a tarp that a vendor would tell you we had that problem and just spray it. Look at Warbonnet superfly as it has the doors attached or the HH hex fly (which I have) and it never leaked.

Have a great time with the scouts it will keep you young.

By the way using knots is much easier and lighter then anything else. It is also a great way to past the time in the cold raining winter weekend sitting at home practicing with your son.
    I agree on the tarp it may just be time to chuck it. I would love a superfly or OMW, but funds have not been flowing into my camping budget. I will be putting money away for a tarp and tq or depending on how well i take to sewing, making my own. I may start with sewing the doors on my hh hex.

I would love to use knots, but it I struggle with the hardware imagine how badly I a would do with knots. I struggle from real world vs practice world syndrome. I can tie all sorts of knots at my desk or on the couch, but in the field i tie a lot. i am learning and getting better.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I would not shelve it, you might forget how bad it performs and use it again sometime in the future.
    That exactly what i did.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I missed another stupid thing I feel everymore useless for not thinking... you put the pad in your foot box!!! I watched shugs video on sleeping into -14 and have seen it before where you put a pad or ccf or reflectix down by your feet to extend your 3/4 uq. I slept 2 nights with it flopping around OUTSIDE my tq. Thinking how does anyone get it to stay in place long enough to keep your feet warm. It goes INSIDE your foot box. Wow I am really stupid. I am actually a smart inventive person. Routinely regarded as the smartest person in the room. I am so stupid when I get into the woods

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Meh. You'll never forget a lesson once well learned.

Experience can be a brutal task master......but a rather excellent teacher

On this, you won't need to be reminded again in the future.

Great report. Thanks for taking us along.

The manufacturer was aware their tarps had that "leaking" problem. I guess that's just another thing we take for granted, being catered to by our own close knit group of HF Cottage Vendors.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12