Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I had a bottom entry but had 2QZQ convert it to the zip as it does make it easier arrange your sleep system and get in and out of your sleeping bag. Also I am 6'1" and at 270 rolling around in the hammock to get in my sleeping bag was not easy with the bottom entry. My son who is 5"10" and 132 had no problem. I guess as you get older you are less flexible. We have the explorer deluxe which I would recommend as it is a flatter sleep.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have 2 HH (Exp. Deluxe & Expedition) due to limited mobility both have a bottom entry. I also currently have them both off 2QZQ to have the Mod 4 done (zipper both sizes so I can roll the net back.

I really like the bottom entry especially when the bugs are flying. I have camped next to a swamp in FL. with no bugs getting into the HH with me. Quick in, quick out, and the opening snaps shut quickly.

Bottom entry with the Mod 4 will give me the best of both worlds.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I think the bottom entry is what really makes the small HH asym tarp work. When bad weather is coming in, you can pull the tarp right down on top of the hammock. Since you are entering and exiting from below and directly out the end of the hammock/tarp, it is not noticeable or an issue in any way that the tarp is low and tight.

There is certainly an art in handling quilts and pads when entering and exiting. The more articles that must be adjusted, the more intricate and difficult is the art.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I think the bottom entry is what really makes the small HH asym tarp work. When bad weather is coming in, you can pull the tarp right down on top of the hammock. Since you are entering and exiting from below and directly out the end of the hammock/tarp, it is not noticeable or an issue in any way that the tarp is low and tight.

There is certainly an art in handling quilts and pads when entering and exiting. The more articles that must be adjusted, the more intricate and difficult is the art.
    I agree. That is an oft overlooked benefit to the bot. entry. More than a few times, with a storm pitched, condensation/frost covered tarp, I have rubbed against it trying to get in or out. And of course the smaller the tarp the closer you might have to hang it.

After a little practice, I never had any complaints with the BE other than not being to reach out of the hammock once inside. The smallest zipper mod would take care of this. Or, maybe I would like to get the net out of the way sometimes, that would require a larger zip mod. But I dare say I could be in or out of that BE hammock ( always used with a HH Super Shelter) as fast or faster than anyone could with a side zip.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Bottom entry for reasons stated above.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Images
    I've got both. I did add the 2QZQ zipper mod 4 to my Expl. The son has the Exped zip only and he forgets from time to time to close it up so his bug issues are his own making.

Probably not what you want to hear but get the bottom entry then have the Mod 4 done to it. I can use the bottom entry in the summer or buggy times and use the zip in the winter with my UQ, etc. As stated several times...best of both worlds.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    I have an expedition that is bottom entry only. When using an uq or the HSS it can be a challenge at times to get out in a hurry at 3 in the morning. I also have a explorer deluxe with the mod3 from 2qzq so the ease getting in and out with the above mentioned attached is easier. As others have stated it is the best of both worlds.
    As far as bugs I have not had issues so far.
    I would check out the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC it seems to have some great options. I think that will be my next purchase.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I have 2 bottom entry's (my ULBK and a Scout for a guest). They are used for bug season - no regrets. Only thing you can't do is fix your morning coffee while in the hammock Shug style.
    I use DIY gathered in for winter camping so I can fix morning coffee Shug style.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    i made the commitment. i ended up getting the expedition asym original bottom entry. if any of you dont know, hennessy is doing a buy one get one free for a younger sibling, cousin, nephew, niece, grandchild, whatever you have. so now i have 2, i guess. seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. i appreciate all the replies! thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post

This is my number 1 complaint with BE. I've camped with mine more than a dozen nights this year using a CCF pad that's stored rolled up. It's nearly impossible for me to get into the hammock and on top of the pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast