WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images

Elastic (braid?) in top of unerquilt?

Hey folks

My underquilt design is slowly getting there... so bear with me for a few more questions and I'll have a prototype to show in the New Year (yes, giving myself 365 days of wriggle room, he he).

When starting out browsing here and on Youtube to get a feel for how underquilts are made I came across a video where the maker put some sort of elastic band (I think it might be called "braid?") into the top-shell of the underquilt. The idea was that it would make the underquilt snug up better to the hammock. Sounds like a sound concept to me.

Unfortunately, I can't find that video any more, and I don't think it had much in the comments as far as the actual experience goes anyways.

So: Anybody tried this here? Does it work? Or why wouldn't it?

Edit: an idea I just had was, would it make sense to have the continuous channel along the underquilt's sides open at a few points and attach shock cord there which could go "across" the underquilt to keep it up? That way the elastic part of the design could be adjusted to be more or less tight... Just thinking.
    Last edited by bubba74; 12-16-2013 at 15:42. Reason: another idea

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Shug The Master Of Hammocking replied to my post. I feel humbled Great to hear from you - your vidz were a big factor in waht got me into this whle hammocking thing to start with

I'd seen this quilt before, but never noticed the diagonal line across that must be the elastic braid in there. Good catch. So a diagonal "stretchy thing" might make even more sense than the idea I had in the "afterthought edit".

Also like the idea of using a lighter color on the inside "liner" and a darker one outside.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    You might want to reconsider the diagonal shock cord. It looks as if the quilt was made to fit a Hennessy, and that cord goes from tie- out to tie out. I'm not exactly sure what it does, normally all that's required is a loop of shock that goes through channels along the sides, and one on each end. The shock cord on the ends is to cinch the quilt to the hammock, and the loop along the side is to hang it from the hammock suspension to allow it to be moved back and forth .

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba74 View Post
    Shug The Master Of Hammocking replied to my post. I feel humbled Great to hear from you - your vidz were a big factor in waht got me into this whle hammocking thing to start with

I'd seen this quilt before, but never noticed the diagonal line across that must be the elastic braid in there. Good catch. So a diagonal "stretchy thing" might make even more sense than the idea I had in the "afterthought edit".

Also like the idea of using a lighter color on the inside "liner" and a darker one outside.
    Haaa…no Master….just a plebe.
    I made my first UQ doing this style….very difficult to do. It worked but was a bear to sew.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I had quite a time with CBS early on with my IXUQ followed by others. I ran across this video and have found this to work pretty darn well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMpBURngVhA

I find the use of the triangle thingies or some method of providing lift, particularly with 3/4 length quilts, is very important. Shug shows in his video that the suspension line at the foot end/side of the hammock needs to go OVER the foot end of the quilt. This is a big help in keeping the foot end of the quilt closed tight against the hammock.

One thing - I find that sometimes when moving into a "figure 4" position, the ridge in the middle of the hammock may be accentuated. This will open a path for cold air to get in.

Pappy

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Yup, I know that the "standard" way is to have either continuous channels along which the UQ can slide or tie outs + cinches to close it up.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer, though, so it's in my nature I want things done differently I saw Ed Speer's Snugfit a while back - and the elastic braids sewn into the inner liner that I mentioned in the opening post. That got me to thinking that there might be a more elegant way of getting the hammock "hug" to the underside of the hammock even better.

Of course I trust the cottage vendors on the site here to pretty much have figured out the best way to do things, but as I said, I just like to tinker with stuff

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Check out the Under Quilt Protector from 2QZQ, it has some elastic something mid way along the length.

When I sew up my DIQ UQP, I will be doing something similar for the same reason you describe.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Hmmm, lengthwise might be an option, too. Wonder what the advantages/drawbacks might be.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    How about a small cargo net under the quilt and adjust the tension to make it barely touch the hammock when you are in it?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...net-67010.html

Terry

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast