13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps

Please help identify this fabric.

I found this in bargin bin at wally. 1.00 a yard so it was cheap enough. I have no idea what it is. End of roll said unspecified. Its really slick looking and on one side it has a white film like coating. I want to use it to make a tarp but no idea if will work. How do I test it to see? It feels and seems water and wind proof. I ran some water on it and it beads like plastic. Its quiet and light.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    interesting find, I'm with you and have no idea what it is but sure am curious to find out more
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsig11010 View Post
    I want to use it to make a tarp but no idea if will work. How do I test it to see? It feels and seems water and wind proof. I ran some water on it and it beads like plastic. Its quiet and light.
    Make a 'bag' with one end of the fabric (easy way is just to punch some cloth down into a bucket) and pour a few quarts of water in it. Gather up the 'top of the bag' and twist it closed, putting some pressure on the water.
    Observe how much pressure it takes to get water to come through the fabric.

A more 'rigorous' test is to stretch the fabric across the end of a piece of pipe (something like ABS or PVC plumbing pipe) and fasten securely (band clamp?).
    then pour water into the (vertical) pipe and see how many mm of water it takes to get water coming through the fabric. I think this is how the commercial ratings are done.

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    Sounds like fun. Soon as I get home I'll give it a go.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Make a 'bag' with one end of the fabric (easy way is just to punch some cloth down into a bucket) and pour a few quarts of water in it. Gather up the 'top of the bag' and twist it closed, putting some pressure on the water.

A more 'rigorous' test is to stretch the fabric across the end of a piece of pipe (something like ABS or PVC plumbing pipe) and fasten securely (band clamp?).
    then pour water into the (vertical) pipe and see how many mm of water it takes to get water coming through the fabric. I think this is how the commercial ratings are done.
    What he said.

As far as the fabric, it looks like some polyester PU-coated ripstop that I found at JoAnne's a couple of years back. That particular fabric had two layers to it; a black DWR-coated polyester facing and a white PU-coated backing (not sure what the backing was made out of, but probably polyester as well). It looked kinda like what you have in the photos there. Never did have a chance to really test how waterproof it was, though.

And, well, it may or may not be what you have. YMMV.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    . . . . . waiting for big test

~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps

test

Ok tried the basic run water on it and it beads up well. I used it to cover a jar with water and turned upside down and it holds water. I made a bubble out of it and filled with water and squeezed it and it mashed it etc. and couldnt force water through it either. Im thinking it would be a good cheap way to try my hand it a tarp. maybe the winter one from diy?

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post

Yup, the second "rigorous" method you're talking about is how they come up with the hydrostatic head rating such as 1000 mm, etc for various coated fabrics.

The first method is almost exactly what I've used as a homemade litmus test of sorts with coated fabrics to ballpark the quality/consistency. I basically make a water balloon with the coated fabric, pinch the top, then apply extra force by squeezing or dropping the bag (still in my hand) and coming to an abrupt stop.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsig11010 View Post
    Ok tried the basic run water on it and it beads up well. I used it to cover a jar with water and turned upside down and it holds water. I made a bubble out of it and filled with water and squeezed it and it mashed it etc. and couldnt force water through it either. Im thinking it would be a good cheap way to try my hand it a tarp. maybe the winter one from diy?
    Sounds like it is definitely waterproof! And, at that price, you can only lose a few hours of sewing fun.

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    Ok I found the diy gear tarp plans. Anyone else have plans for a winter tarp w doors?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast