Hammock for Brazil and South America

Hi to everybody and thanks to be admitted to this very interesting Forum
    I’m an italian man living and working in Brazil. I'm m. 1,90 (about 6’ 4”) tall and my weight is about kg. 85 (165 lbs.).
    I'm planning to do lot's of backcountry traveling by mule as part of my job who is geographical prospector/researcher. Sometimes I will have one mule and i will carry my stuff in the saddle bags, other times with the help of a pack mule. And also I have to navigate rivers on a homemade petrol drums raft with the support of a kayak and/or a small aluminum or rubber boat. Other times I have to carry around my gear in the rucksack.
    Brazil have a wide climate variety from hot and very humid to freezing cold (not like North America but few degrees below zero) and, in South America the nearby Andean mountains have crossings well over 3000 meters.
    During the years I appreciate the versatility of hammocks versus tents. Very easy to hang, free from humidity, stones, slopping ground, very good for stealth camping and have a two levels shelter On the ground, the kitchen and a dry place to store my stuff and on the “1st floor” (the hammock) the bed room.
    I tried to sleep in few homemade models of hammocks but I had two main complain:
    A – cold during the night (even in Italy in fall)
    B – the “banana” position who doesn’t allow to sleep on the side which is my favorite sleeping position
    It would be very nice for me to have to carry only one shelter to cope the different climates and situations. Now I would like to buy a good model to suit my needs but I’m confused which brand to choose because “least but not last” working in the environment research field, unfortunately budgets are very tight and money never enough.
    The models I came across are:
    1 – Clark Jungle Hammock North American (kg.1,330 max kg. 137 $ 299) with Xl fly ($ 20)
    2 - Hennessy Hammocks Explorer Ultra light with substitute hex fly60 ($219.95 )
    I know that there are many others good brands but I don’t know
    If somebody has the kindness to give me some advice to make me able to buy one model I will greatly appreciated.
    Thanking everybody in anticipation I beg to forgot my basic English and I beg also not to use abbreviations because I will get confused

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well dang! You are down in the birthplace of hammocks; they probably have more crazy stuff down there than we've ever thought about.

A. It happens to all of us. The only solution is a pad underneath you (laying on top of it) or an underquilt. Lots to decide, but it boils down to comfort. Pads=less money. Underquilts=more money.
    B. You need to be diagonal in the hammock. Feet on one side of the center line and head on the opposite of the center line. This will flatten the fabric and allow a near flat lay.

1. Good hammock with lots of features. Little heavy and somewhat restrictive if you are a big person, which at 6'4" it sounds like it.
    2. Another good hammock and very comfortable in my opinion. But, once you get in, you're in. There is no reaching out to the basement for your goodies without flipping in the hammock and reaching through the entry slit.
    3. Get a Warbonnet Blackbird and get the feature richness of the Clarks and the easy reach-out that the Hennessys missed.

Sounds like a grand adventure. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by proteorio View Post
    Hi to everybody and thanks to be admitted to this very interesting Forum.
    I’m an italian man living and working in Brazil. I'm m. 1,90 (about 6’ 4”) tall and my weight is about kg. 85 (165 lbs.)....

I tried to sleep in few homemade models of hammocks but I had two main complain:
    B – the “banana” position who doesn’t allow to sleep on the side which is my favorite sleeping position....

I know that there are many others good brands but I don’t know
    If somebody has the kindness to give me some advice to make me able to buy one model I will greatly appreciated.
    Thanking everybody in anticipation I beg to forgot my basic English and I beg also not to use abbreviations because I will get confused
    Proteorio,

Your height and weight are a great match to the JRB Bear mountain Bridge Hammock....

As to your specific concerns.....it is the flattest laying hammock by far, a great side sleeper, as it does not curl you into the fetal position (since you are not interested in the banana).

It has both a wide pad pocket and under quilt attachment loops to support any insulation approach that you prefer.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by proteorio View Post
    I'm m. 1,90 (about 6’ 4”) tall and my weight is about kg. 85 (165 lbs.).
    I'm planning to do lot's of backcountry traveling by mule
    Brazil have a wide climate variety from hot and very humid to freezing cold few degrees below zero
    B – the “banana” position who doesn’t allow to sleep on the side which is my favorite sleeping position
    would like to buy a good model
    The models I came across are:
    1 – Clark Jungle Hammock North American (kg.1,330 max kg. 137 $ 299) with Xl fly ($ 20)
    2 - Hennessy Hammocks Explorer Ultra light with substitute hex fly60 ($219.95 )
    You are my husbands size, he fits in my Clark but it's tight head to toe (he does weigh a lot more than you do though) If you are looking at the Clark, look at the larger one. Also look at the "tropical" model. That's one I have and I've used it to camp, very comfortably in below freezing temps. You just have to have the right under insulation. I used an Exped down 9 pad inside my hammock to lay on. Very toasty!!! My first time camping with my Clark did result in a more banana hang, but I've gotten better at putting it up and learned to tie the foot end a little bit higher on the tree than the head end. I opted for the tropical model of clark because where I live it is very very humid all the time. With the tropical, you will need to add the weathershield. I did and it has helped to keep me warmer when the temps have dropped at night.
    (I can only advise on this hammock, it is the only one I have slept in)

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Hello, Im from Colombia, and live in Colombia. I have been to Brazil... not only is it one of my neighbor countries, but my family on my mother's end is Brazilian... but i was too young to remember.
    But at older age i have been on my country's side of the Amazon, and I have used hammocks there, not my HennessyHammock (HH) though. Hammocks are the best way to go in these jungles. I have used the HH in very similar places to the ones found in Brazil. Its my hammock of choice.

I have a Clark Jungle too and even though its a really nice hammock, I found it not comfortable enough (and Im a small thin guy, +/- 1,65m, 55kg) to achieve the diagonal position.
    In terms of protecting from most critters found here in Colombia (and im really picky about this), i found it had to be dealt with practically just as when using a tent -this i believe would apply to any top loader hammock (Claytor, BlackBird, JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock, etc), not just the Clark, and is something i never want to deal with again. With my HH it has not been a problem, never! really, im not kidding, its something that still amazes me.

Anyhow, if you are leaning towards choosing a top-loader hammock, and one that would provide you with a comfortable lay, a Warbonnet BlacklBird or a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock is what I would choose. I have not tried them personally, but I trust the people in the forums that have tried them as well as the HH and testify that they provide a flatter lay, or at least a more comfortable lay and wider space than the HH. But if you are also picky about bugs, a Hennessy Hammock will satisfy your needs... it has done it for me.

Whatever you choose, keep in mind the underside insulation for the hammock, even for hot temps. If you are interested, i could sell you my Clark hammock, only problem is i do not know where it is. Im actually starting to believe someone stole it...

Good luck, and if you come to Colombia, id be Glad to help you oput with anything you might need.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hi Cannibal
    Nice to meet you and thanks for the answer. I have to excuse myself for the delay but I live in the backcountry and the line is not very good.
    I visited the Warbonnet Blackbird site. Seems a very good model. A little bit expensive with the tarp. I think a double layers hammock is better. It’s easy to find a suitable insulation pad and can be used as a camping pad when sleeping on the ground if trees are not available..
    During my research for hammocks I was impressed by the Mosquito Hammock (Tom Claytor http://www.mosquitohammock.com/), the Jungle model. Look’s like to have many good features: is double layer and accept a camping pad, can lay on the ground if no trees are available, has camouflage color that is very good for stealth camping, and in Brazil is better not to be seen, the price is good and he send for free worldwide. I will try to find out if there is some major drawback.
    Thanks for the wishes and is a pleasure to be admitted on the forum.

Hi Pan
    Nice to meet you and thanks for the answer. I have to excuse myself for the delay but I live in the backcountry and the line is not very good.
    I visited the JRB site. The Bear mountain Bridge Hammock seems very good too. I’d like to have strait hammock with spreading bars but I think my height it’s already over the limit and the price is not cheap and for this I taught the problem is over.
    For the moment I’m puzzled between Warbonnet Blackbird and Mosquito Hammock Jungle. I hope to find out more about .

Hi TinaLouise
    The Clark is a very popular model and have may people who love it. Me too, in the beginning, I was sure to buy it, but finding out more informations I discovered that is tight for tall people and the price is the highest on the market . For that I try to find out a more suitable model

Hi ElColombanito
    The Clark I find out is not a very large model especially for tall people . For the moment I’m puzzled between Warbonnet Blackbird and Mosquito Hammock Jungle. I was impressed by the Mosquito Hammock (Tom Claytor http://www.mosquitohammock.com/), the Jungle model. Look’s like to have many good features: is double layer and accept a camping pad, can lay on the ground if no trees are available, has camouflage color that is very good for stealth camping, and in Brazil is better not to be seen, the price is good and he send for free worldwide. I will try to find out if there are some major drawback.
    Thanks for the wishes. I will have to visit Colombia as part of my future research on the places called Santiago and will be a pleasure to meet you personally

• + New Posts