View Poll Results: Should we add tracking to the PIF rules?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 41.49%
  • No

55 58.51%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    I voted yes.. but:
    I think priority is the only way to ship. In most cases, it is cheaper than standard mail, (except IMUSA cups) it comes with tracking, and insurance built in.

3. The receiver/claimer of the PIF agrees to "Pay it Forward" by posting something free within 24 hours (must be worth the cost of shipping).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Whoopies and guy lines ship first class in a taped up piece of cardboard for 3 stamps, no trip to the post office needed. Requiring priority shipping, tracking, or a trip to the post office would hinder my ability to participate. I understand that isn't an issue for some folks, but I question the necessity for what is essentially a gift.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I think on sales it would be nice but PIF seems a little bit of overkill.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I had a PIF once that went this way:

1. (A week after the 24 hour mailing period) Sorry, I was out of town that day and didn't send it. I'll send it tomorrow

2. (A week after #2) Sorry, I keep forgetting to mail it. I'll mail it tomorrow.

3. (A week after #2). I mailed that a week ago.

I never got it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I did claim a pif once which never arrived. When I asked about it after giving ample time it was claimed to have gotten lost in the mail; which I have never experienced in previous pifs or in general. (to which my return pif is now a no claim pif)

Perhaps if one adds tracking info it can be thought of as the positive feedback deal with Ebay.

Or...perhaps a separate thread where we can give the positive feedback...

Idk the capabilities of the forum board provider, but it would be really nice to have an individual feedback system tied to the pif'ers profile similar to ebays rating system. (a link or something next to their avatar)

Hard to explain but I am sure you all understand what I am saying. This way the tracking information won't be mandatory and we can look up ones pif feedback and see their rating. This way if one has a negative rating and some extraneous circumstance occurred they could choose to make it right, or have it on their concious that they took advantage of our honesty based system. Positive feedback indicates a go ahead.
    Last edited by Deadphans; 12-18-2013 at 23:11.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Some of these items in the PIF thread are trifling in value. Adding shipping cost onto it seems highly unnecessary.

1. As the sender, I should be able to ship it any darned way I want. If the PIF receiver wants something else, it's on his dime.

If the receiver wants tracking or insurance or UPS/Fed Ex instead of USPS, or whatever blows his skirt up, then he should send the PIF sender a shipping label via e-mail. Sender can print it out and tape/paste it on the package. It's easy, folks - try it!

2. PIF Wall of Shame - The spreadsheet already tracks fulfilled and unfulfilled PIFs right in the spreadsheet. There's your name with a blank in the Shipped column for the last two weeks. Are you that busy? Ship your PIFs, people! It's only your reputation that suffers.
    3. Make a rule you cannot participate in another PIF until you fulfill your obligations (i.e., item is shipped and received, and spreadsheet is updated).
    4. If sender says he shipped it, but it got lost in the mail and he has no tracking number, then after a period of two weeks, PIF is declared null - no harm, no foul.
    5. If sender has tracking number, but receiver never gets it, PIF is declared null after two weeks. Move on with life - it was lost.
    6. Another shaming idea. Add a protected column to calculate PIF participant's average time between claimed and shipped, add a column for claimed/received and show a percentage for that, as well as a percentage of NULL PIFs.

It would be like the E-Bay rating system - you'd have a good statistical basis for knowing if you claim a PIF from member X, it might be a dicey proposition.

7. Caveat emptor.

By the way, I voted yes.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I'm with RainMan on this one.
    SilvrSurfr has some good points, although,
    the new math in the spreadsheet would need a geek mod
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Silvr has some good ideas about feedback, but I don't' think the spreadsheet needs to be made more complicated. I'm a member of another vBulletin forum that has feedback ratings, that could be incorporated for sales and PIF. Sometimes custom PIF work, or personal work schedules, interfere with timely shipping, though I can always make it to a post office on a saturday morning.

I like a PIF wall of shame. It fits the spiritual nature of the PIF concept. Let's not make it more difficult for those that participate.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkbyrd View Post
    I like a PIF wall of shame. It fits the spiritual nature of the PIF concept. Let's not make it more difficult for those that participate.
    I think you hit the nail on the head - the PIF concept is an ideal - it's what we hope to be. That's something you can't regulate.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    No, why add restrictions or extra steps to those that follow the rules.
    Thousands of PIF transactions and a handful of horror stories. Root out the bad apples without slamming the group.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast