View Poll Results: Should we add tracking to the PIF rules?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 41.49%
  • No

55 58.51%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    I'm with RainMan on this one.
    SilvrSurfr has some good points, although,
    the new math in the spreadsheet would need a geek mod
    All the mods are geeks - didn't you know that?

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    All mods are geeks. WHOA?!? There is no topic that I would fall under the title of geekish. Just saying.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I know I have been bad about putting the ship date, even though I shipped the item. I think maybe we should be better at posting the ship date on PIF's. I also agree if a person doesn't send the PIF, then MOD's should be contacted and if that person has three unresolved complaints, they should be banned from the PIF thread.
    Why let them continue to participate, if they are being dishonest, and other good PIF'ers will suffer.
    Just my $.02.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images

First Class Mail

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    mailing 1st class doesn't come with a tracking number. It cost .90
    At my post office they ask me to buy tracking on first class mail. When I refuse it, the tracking number is still on my receipt. I do not know if it is just a glitch at my PO, or it is a normal thing. I am looking at 3 receipts right now that confirms this. Can somebody confirm that it is or is not a glitch at my post office? I wrote an email to USPS but I am not holding my breath.

And also, after thinking about it, I voted no. I know there will be no more than a few that take advantage of the PIF thread. I am not really in favor of rules that make it harder for everyone, because of the actions of a few. To be honest, I have only had a couple problems on the PIF thread. The AWESOME experiences VASTLY outweigh the bad experiences. I view the PIF thread as a nice place that makes you feel good to participate. Get a tracking number if it makes you feel better. I do 80% of the time, but there are times that I don't. Then again, I really do not know how many complaints get made to the mods, so that would be a good factor to know.
    Last edited by halfastronomical; 12-19-2013 at 08:10.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I think adding shame as part of the way this community relates to one an other is a pretty bad idea. I think we should avoid it like the plague.

Items of trifling value, IMHO, is not reflective of the PIF ethic. Offering up something of little value after you have claimed something that you found value in just doesn't seem in keeping with the idea and intent of PIF.

The idea, IMHO, should be to make such folk who would claim something of value and then offer up a trifle or make a claim with no intent to actually mail the return offer to think twice before they do so.

I've started limiting my participation in PIF as a result of seeing too many folk offering up the equivalent of a box of half used pencils after claiming a decent cookset. I'm not finding things that merit the cost that it takes to mail an IMUSA cup, or the time and effort it takes to make a set of pawn bags.

The idea should be to encourage people to offer things of value or use to their fellow members rather than as a way to get something for next to nothing. Paying an extra $0.90 is a small price to pay for that, and it insures that folks who really don't intend to go past the point of claiming something they want and walking off will choose not to participate.
    Last edited by sargevining; 12-19-2013 at 09:17.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    The idea, IMHO, should be to make such folk who would claim something of value and then offer up a trifle or make a claim with no intent to actually mail the return offer to think twice before they do so.

I've started limiting my participation in PIF as a result of seeing too many folk offering up the equivalent of a box of half used pencils after claiming a decent cookset. I'm not finding things that merit the cost that it takes to mail an IMUSA cup, or the time and effort it takes to make a set of pawn bags.

The idea should be to encourage people to offer things of value or use to their fellow members rather than as a way to get something for next to nothing. Paying an extra $0.90 is a small price to pay for that, and it insures that folks who really don't intend to go past the point of claiming something they want and walking off will choose not to participate.
    My thoughts exactly. I have too limited my participation in PIF for just the same reason. While I am not much of a DIY person I appreciate the skills in others and tend to PIF to get them. I usually offer up gift certificates to various place that others find of value.

Paying a .90 tracking fee to ensure shipment is a good thing if it means items get shipped in a timely manner.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I use "Proof of Mailing", when I want to prove I mailed something. However, that added paid service only proves I mailed something to a address, it is NOT proof that the thing mailed was received.

I had a bad experience with a seller, I did not receive the merchandise, I filed a complaint with my Credit Card Carrier, since the seller refused to give me a time or date that he posted my merchandise. He finally produced a "Proof of Delivery" receipt. However, I never received the package, I did not sign or have any knowledge of what happened to my merchandise, the Credit Card Carrier sided with me.

Now I send things insured and if of much value, I request a signature. Now nothing goes missing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head - the PIF concept is an ideal - it's what we hope to be. That's something you can't regulate.
    There ya go...correct assessment. However, let's leave the shame at home. Ideals are ideal. Shame is a product I ain't buyin'. It only works if the person has a conscience to begin with. If they cheat you over a $2 alky stove they likely will cheat ya on a larger matter. You don't need them or the thing. Better off without either.

Voted no - should be my choice.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I'm not too keen on the idea of being told I HAVE to add tracking, but it doesn't bother me enough to stop participating in PIF's.
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Let me clarify the shame thing... I don't mean a "PIF slacker thread," but the spreadsheet as-is, or perhaps a "PIF recieved" field. That way everyone can see who has been not holding their end of the deal.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast