XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Yep, bug walls were another part of the discussion.
    Purchased a bunch of curtain sheers from WallyWorld and Amazon.

And it is because of the bug walls that the zipper option is in the lead at this point. A few velcro attachment points doesn't seem like it would be enough to keep the bugs at bay.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doc17th View Post
    Just wondering if it would be pausible to make some kind of skirt to attach to the bottom of my old man winter so that I can stand up under it but it reaches close to the ground for the cold windy nights. My back is really bad and it bothers me to be bent over. I love the grizz beaks I put them on my vertex.
    Looking at all those catcuts I'd bet it would be very tricky to get something(velcro,zipper,buttons, snaps, etc) to follow all those curves and hang properly. IMO it would just be easier to go with a 12x14 with doors for a true winter tarp. It would probably end up weighing less.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I was looking to avoid the cat cuts all together and sew a straight line an inch or two back from the mid point (top of the arc) between each tie out point.provide a nice little overhang above the walls. Cut down on rain dropping straight down the wall.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a cat cut winter tarp that I use year round for scout camping. It is 10x12 with dutch mod and full privacy if i pitch it at about 4.5' high. I am finding that my back hurts quickly at that height though because I have to crouch under it and I don't like changing in the hammock. I feel that all that extra moving and squirming in the hammock is an unnecessary stress on the fabric.

I'm planning on making 3' knee walls for it to have full coverage at summer camp, so I can pitch it higher and avoid the back pain and stand up in it to change. I'm planning on using either velcro tabs or neodymium micro-magnets for attaching (big agnes makes a zipper-less t*nt with them!). I will post pics here since this is reviving the post. My tarp is purple but I don't have enough of that ripstop left so the knee walls will be grey.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I went with the magnets. It works well. They are very strong so I had to make a number of modifications for it to be practical.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doc17th View Post
    Just wondering if it would be pausible to make some kind of skirt to attach to the bottom of my old man winter so that I can stand up under it but it reaches close to the ground for the cold windy nights. My back is really bad and it bothers me to be bent over. I love the grizz beaks I put them on my vertex.
    I've been wondering the same question ? Got the same bad back and I always put my tarp up high because of the bending over thing but it leaves my hammock to low. I've been wondering if ZQ could or would sew me a skirt on my tarp maybe out of Cuban fiber ? She's already sewed doors on my tarp and added a pole mod. I'm not sure but I was thinking of using the same tie out points and just letting the skirt hang just to slow down the wind maybe about 2' longer? What you think 2Q & ZQ and also Hi guys I've not talked to you two in a while. I see you guys had fun on the last big hammock hang with lots of good food.
    In the beginning, God created wilderness..and it was good. Lamar Marshall- Bankhead Warrior
    Getting old is not for sissies! My mother in law Opal!
    It's me It's me It's Mr.T

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankheadboy View Post
    I've been wondering the same question ? Got the same bad back and I always put my tarp up high because of the bending over thing but it leaves my hammock to low. I've been wondering if ZQ could or would sew me a skirt on my tarp maybe out of Cuban fiber ? She's already sewed doors on my tarp and added a pole mod. I'm not sure but I was thinking of using the same tie out points and just letting the skirt hang just to slow down the wind maybe about 2' longer? What you think 2Q & ZQ and also Hi guys I've not talked to you two in a while. I see you guys had fun on the last big hammock hang with lots of good food.
    Sending a PM...I didn't see this post until now. Sorry...I do a 2QZQ search every day...but didn't catch this one.
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12