DD 3x3
    Insulation
    TAR Prolite 3/4
    Suspension
    S, DC, MSH, W, DR

Hi from Amsterdam

Hi!

Noob hammock camper here.
    Funny really, I'm kind of the black sheep in my family for loving camping (they don't understand what's wrong with a hotel or vacation rental), and ever since I've done my first trip to the jungle of Suriname where we slept in hammocks, I've been hooked on them.

I've long thought of modifying my heavy cotton Brazilian style hammock into something I can camp with, and had almost forgotten about it until, last week, I stumbled onto some instructables for penny stoves, and then one thing led to another. Hammock camping! Wow! I didn't even know it existed until last week.

Unfortunately, I am blessed with a guy whose interest in camping and bushcraft goes no further than watching Bear Grylls and Ray Mears on our media center. Camping in small stuff: uh-uh, and the bigger-than-a-house tent I bought to convince him didn't help either. So I'm left to start early indoctrination on our kid (4 this January) (I might send the BF to a bushcraft training weekend though - Birthday present darling! ).

I've spent every free moment the last 10 days browsing the forum, watching Shug TV, and loving every minute of it. I can't wait until spring time and get me and my son on my bike and find a place to set up camp.

Another thing I like about this forum is that I love to tinker and have always liked the fun approach more than go for looks. I've ran linux on my computers since 1998 and when I still owned a horse I was more into endurance and trail riding than dressage. Speaking of horses: since you don't need any tent poles for hammock camping, I can totally see myself on a multiple day trip on horseback, bringing my hammock. As for the tinkering: I've already thought up plans for modifying my new DD to get rid of the tension in the middle, modifying a rain jacket to accommodate my pack and using old sleeping bags to make UQ's and/or TQ's with pads attached. God help me At least I'll have enough to do to get me through winter!
    Lightweight/small pack camping here in The Netherlands seems to be more about the right brands, and I don't feel quite at home at that. I like it a lot that hammock camping and the forum seem to be about gear, but in a very! nice way.

Oh and last but not least: I used to be a babywearer. My favorite carry is one called the double hammock. This must be my destiny
    Last edited by lijn; 12-21-2013 at 07:22.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Georgia! Lots of great DIY projects to get you through the Winter.
    Last edited by 2ply; 12-20-2013 at 17:07.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Oklahoma!!!! Sounds like you have some great plans. Sorry your guy don't share your love of the outdoors. Hopefully he will come around soon!

Hammock
    Henn Exp lite or WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopy on Kevlar
    Started and ended my October vacation in Amsterdam. With a rail pass and a bike you can go anywhere allowed in EU and hang your hammock. Welcome and Enjoy!!!!

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    "I'm joost from Amsterdam" -the way. love that guy. always brings a party
    have safe
    be fun
    welcome to hammock forums. be prepared to spend some bling.

Images
    Welcome from Mississippi. I lived in Wassenaar while in college and loved going to Amsterdam and kicking around. Miss that part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    Welcome to HF from Georgia!
    Georgia, I was there last summer that Black Sea is something else!

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Welcome to HF......from the "Wilds of western Mass!"
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Welcome to the zoo. I understand your predicament, I grew up (in the Netherlands) camping while my wife and kids (born and raised in the US) are not developing much of an affinity for it.
    Have fun with the new hammock camping addiction.

Your username, is it from Marjo-, Cathe-, or a different lijn? Is it string maybe?

I even type with a Dutch accent.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultra Light
    Insulation
    None yet...brrrr
    Suspension
    Whoops & Straps
    A-dam has perhaps the best combination of beautiful and romantic scenery and wonderful people of any city I've ever been to. Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast