Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best hammocks from REI?

I have a $200 gift card. I am 5'11 @ 175lbs. Will be a general purpose tent. From camping, to waiting at the airport, to deployments, etc.

REI - Hammocks and Cots (mostly ENO)
    REI - Hammock Tents (mostly Hennessy)
    REI - Camp Furniture (mostly Grand Trunk)

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    I would go with the Hennessy Expedition or Explorer (explorer is what I have tried and it is a nice hammock) and be done....or http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair
    http://www.rei.com/product/863805/kammok-roo-hammock
    http://www.rei.com/product/863807/kammok-python-straps

you get a chair and a hammock but no bug protection or tarp.... but if you want if you are waiting at the airport with nothing to hang from you have a light chair, and under deployment, but you would need bug protection and tarp for camping

i would also sub http://www.rei.com/product/754773/en...lenest-hammock a regular doublenest for the roo but keep their straps (you got $30 left but you will need better carabiners)

Lots of options good luck
    Last edited by ojdash; 12-21-2013 at 07:20.

my vote is to buy something with the gift card and sell it, then use that dough to buy a beautiful handmade in the USA hammock from one of the many awesome cottage vendors on here.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Really, although cottage manufacturers here rock, it may be overkill for your purposes... Consider something as simple as a grand trunk and eno fly or the likes. It'll be simpler for where you already have the money to spend and with deployment you may not need anything too involved just yet.
    The syntactical nature of reality, the real secret of magic, is that the world is made of words. And if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish.
    – Terence McKenna

Nick's Hi-Tech Pressure Washing

Quote Originally Posted by ojdash View Post
    I would go with the Hennessy Expedition or Explorer (explorer is what I have tried and it is a nice hammock) and be done....or http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair
    http://www.rei.com/product/863805/kammok-roo-hammock
    http://www.rei.com/product/863807/kammok-python-straps

you get a chair and a hammock but no bug protection or tarp.... but if you want if you are waiting at the airport with nothing to hang from you have a light chair, and under deployment, but you would need bug protection and tarp for camping

i would also sub http://www.rei.com/product/754773/en...lenest-hammock a regular doublenest for the roo but keep their straps (you got $30 left but you will need better carabiners)

Lots of options good luck
    I have tons of good carabiners so that shouldn't be an issue. So are you saying I should get an ENO for the straps and use the Roo, or get a Roo for the straps and use the ENO? Sorry for some reason I can read your suggestion both ways

Quote Originally Posted by nickgann View Post
    Really, although cottage manufacturers here rock, it may be overkill for your purposes... Consider something as simple as a grand trunk and eno fly or the likes. It'll be simpler for where you already have the money to spend and with deployment you may not need anything too involved just yet.
    My biggest thing is doing it right the first time. Sometimes I skip the beginner setups for anything that I buy because I know I will want bigger, better, lighter, faster, louder, etc. later on. I have heard good things about ENO and Grand Trunk and learning more and more about the Kammock, which is what I am now leaning towards in the "budget" hammock department.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I don't own any ENO stuff but have seen them. If it were my money, I would go with the Singlenest hammock, ENO tarp and the Guardian bugnet. That should put you around the $200 you have and you would be set.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Hennessey, four ascending rings and two caribiners. Larger hex tarp. Continuous ridge line. Set of MSR groundhog stakes. Done.

Use the stock suspension with a carabiner
    and pair of ascending rings per side for a simpler adjustable hang setup.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMach1 View Post
    I have tons of good carabiners so that shouldn't be an issue. So are you saying I should get an ENO for the straps and use the Roo, or get a Roo for the straps and use the ENO? Sorry for some reason I can read your suggestion both ways

My biggest thing is doing it right the first time. Sometimes I skip the beginner setups for anything that I buy because I know I will want bigger, better, lighter, faster, louder, etc. later on. I have heard good things about ENO and Grand Trunk and learning more and more about the Kammock, which is what I am now leaning towards in the "budget" hammock department.

If you get the ENO get the straps made by Kammock. I had an eno doublenest and it was a nice hammock

edit: the ENO slap straps and the slap straps pro are no good

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    HH over Eno, for me.

Every time.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Hennessy is a nice complete system. hammock, suspension, bug net and tarp, all for one price.
    ENO is more modular. It all comes separate. I bought an ENO for winter use, but I use my hennessy tree straps and rainfly. the eno is lighter (and great for winter camping without the bug net), but I like the way my hennessy lays and sleeps, a little better.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast