Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

eVent tinder pouch for kilt wearers :-)

I finished up some new, thigh-high gaitors to wear with my kilt, and had some spare eVent left over. I've had this idea for a while to make a pouch out of breathable fabric for drying tinder.

When hiking in wet weather, the common practice is to place damp tinder materials in one's pocket to dry out while hiking. Unfortunately, kilt and skort wearers like me don't have a pocket. Well, my Sport Kilt has a small pocket but I wouldn't want sticks in my clothes.

So I made this little pouch. I filled it with some saturated shredded pine. Weight 39 grams. After two hours of having it tucked in my waistband it weighs 5 grams less. Thinking by the end of the day the wood will be dry enough to use for tinder.

I will have to field test it, but might be a good way to have dry(er) wood in a wet, cold camp. I can use the pouch at night as a rock bag for bear-bagging.

Keep in mind this pushes my sewing skills
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Looks nice, definitely a useful item..

Question--How did you get the eVent, I thought that was only available to manufactures?

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Not a kilt or skort wearer, but you have me thinking. I hike often in the rainforest. At the end of the day some fire work is hard, but I'm persistent and generally can get a small fire going in most conditions.

A bit of trail head time to collect tinder is brilliant. Tinder sources are less picked through along trails as compared to established sites. You've got me thinking! Thanks
    Last edited by Mumbles; 12-23-2013 at 00:31.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Looks nice, definitely a useful item..

Question--How did you get the eVent, I thought that was only available to manufactures?
    http://www.seattlefabrics.com/outerwear.html#Super Waterproof/Breathable-Tex 3 ply

The fabric I purchased is the Ultrex 3-ply. Looks identical to my eVent gaitors I bought from MLD, except for a slight variation in a weaving pattern on the surface. I may be mistaken, but this looked to be the same thing from the description.

FWIW, maybe I should call this my "fake" eVent...
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts