suspension Line weight?

Hello,
    First things first Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
    I have a Hennessy Expedition Zip and right now I am using the stock suspension line and rap rings and carabiner for my set up.
    If I replace this with the whoopee slings and toggles how much weight will I save?
    Weight is a factor for my up coming Thru-Hike of the A.T.
    Thank you for your time.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It will save a bunch. What you are using now is on the heavy side for suspension choices. You are looking at the other end of the scale making a switch. If you are in the body weight rating for it you can even go to dynaglide whoopies and save a tiny bit more. It all adds up. The Ti. hooks that Dutch makes incorporated right in the whoopie, priceless for ease of use and low weight. Post up when you get your kit figured for an AT thru. AND happy trails, TT.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    It will save a bunch. What you are using now is on the heavy side for suspension choices. You are looking at the other end of the scale making a switch. If you are in the body weight rating for it you can even go to dynaglide whoopies and save a tiny bit more. It all adds up. The Ti. hooks that Dutch makes incorporated right in the whoopie, priceless for ease of use and low weight. Post up when you get your kit figured for an AT thru. AND happy trails, TT.
    +1

My choice would be an inverted whoopie set-up, that way you can connect and disconnect the hammock from under your tarp, which is really nice in nasty weather.

Inverted whoopie description (sorry if you already know this)-

Tree hugger with whoopie larksheaded to one side (whoopie hook on the whoopies adjustable loop)- wrap suspension around tree and feed whoopie through the other sewn eye on the strap.

On the hammock you have a continuous loops on each end (amsteel or dynaglide), the whoopie hook gets attached here.

Do this on both sides adjust and done.

Good luck on your thru attempt, are you blogging it? Would love to follow you on your journey.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    somebody measured the rope at about 4 ounces. The rest of the weight you use depends on what brands and models of rings and biners. Weights are listed in manufacturer specifications. If you want to change suspensions think carefully before you remove the stock rope at the hammock. You can cut it back and tie either a figure 8 on a bight or a bowline to get a loop you can work off of with whatever you want from there. That last foot of rope is they key to maintaining warranty and the factory lie. Once you take it out to save that last ounce you are messing with the tuning that makes it work.

Right now you can tie off almost up to the hammock body. If you go to whoopee slings you need at least a foot extra space on each end to account for the buries and the loop for the knot. Then you are back in strap country as you still need the tree straps. What you really save is the 3 oz of rope and the weight of whatever buckle system against the added length of the whoopee's and thier miinimum weight. There are weight savings there you can play with but at other costs.

I had a 1 inch Harbor Freight strap about 7 ft long sitting here so I just weighed it. 1.2 ounces on the kitchen scale. To my mind that will replace the tree strap and whoopee sling. If you thread the strap through a sewn loop the use a Marlin Spike Hitch on the other end with the loop of the shortened original line around the knot, not the toggle. Moving to a whoopee in that case will save less than an ounce over all strap rigged as light as possible.

FWIW 1 inch tie down straps seem to be ubuitous. If one needs a replacement one can always find a way to get rid of the cheap buckle. The problem is that the sewn loop is probably a bit small for 1 inch webbing. The webbing can always be folded or you have an excuse for some Dutch bling and will not need to thread the strap every time. I'd still use good buckles but I'm prone to leave things that are not attached behind. ;-)
    Last edited by nothermark; 12-22-2013 at 21:40. Reason: added strap weight
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    You'll save a little weight but some bulk, too. Those stock hennessy ropes are pretty stiff and big. They are slightly larger than the size of my fist, when rolled up in the drawer. Whoopies are lighter and less bulky. Use whoopies and the short tree straps. Ditch all those rings and carabiners and all that other metal crap. Just use your trekking poles as toggles. If you're on the AT, once you set up camp you're probably not going anywhere, so you won't need your poles until the morning.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts