DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra

"Easy" overnighter at Ceasars Creek, OH

I was looking for an easy way to test my Winter gear and Doctari suggested we just go to Ceasars Creek. My regular hiking partner is my son, Justin. This last Saturday was his 13th birthday.

We both live near Cincinnati and Ceasars Creek is close. I don't really think of it as a hiking destination because it's kinda hard to get longer miles in and technically you're only supposed to camp at the approved car camping sites. Doctari showed me some nice mountain biking trails that made for a good overnight hike. I'll also add there were many good places to stealth camp.

While the goal was to Winter test my gear on the first day of Winter, the weather didn't quite cooperate. It was quite warm. I don't think it dropped any lower than 50*F. However, it did rain like cats and dogs both during the hike and overnight. In fact, we had flash flood warnings. Coincidently enough, my son's

So it's pouring down rain and we come to a stream crossing. It's clearly above our boots, neither Doctari nor I were excited to soak our feet. We hadn't hiked much, but Doctari suggested we take a break. He set up his "palace" to get out of the rain. We fired up our respective stoves and did some cooking. I'd never seen someone else's alcohol stove in action, so that was neat.

After the rain stopped, we hiked around the gully where the swollen stream. After a couple more hours of hiking (and if you know Doctari, much story telling) we came to another swollen stream that was more like a river. Our intention was to camp lower down in the gully, but the flood danger was a little too concerning. So, we hiked up to higher ground.

Hard to say for sure, but seems like the joke was on us. The rain was mostly done, but the winds that night were considerable. It sounded like a freight train going through our camp all night. Overall, we slept warm and dry. About midnight I had to crawl out and tighten down my son and my tarp lines. After that it was pretty smooth sailing the rest of the night.

Overall, I learned quite a bit this weekend. We stayed dry, but my son needs better insulation. We also need more practice with our gear; particularly our stoves. My son and I both have Hennessy hammocks. I'm giving serious consideration to simplifying the suspension and separating the tarp from the hammock. It was very wet conditions. I'm not sure we were prepared to handle wet gear. Our gear didn't quite fit in our packs very well. Sleeping bags and my son's CCF pad were strapped on the outside awkwardly.

I'm super thankful Doctari was willing to take us out for a training run. He's a great hiking partner if you get a chance to head out with him.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Good trip report Doug.

Glad that you were able to get out there with your son and Doctari.

Sounds like it was a real adventure. Each one of those types of hangs teach you a little something new. Lessons learned are treasures that will pay off down the road.

All the best!
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I remember stepping outside that night and thinking it would be fun to be out in that wind and rain. It's outings like that help you learn. I'm about 20 min from that mountain bike trail. Did you have any problems parking?
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    No problems parking at all. The end of Wards road is widened to be a parking area of sorts though the road is a bit washed out. Four wheel drive not mandatory, but could be helpful.

I'm thinking of doing a repeat of this trip before I have to go back to work. I feel like I learned a bunch and I'd like to try it again to see how much better the trip would go. Of course, now it'd be a mostly different trip with no expected percip, but below freezing temps.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Did you have to ask in advance to park overnight?
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Did you have to ask in advance to park overnight?

We didn't. I don't think we are supposed to be camping there overnight. If you ask, they'll likely say "no." That's assuming you can find someone to ask.

Doctari said he's been camping out there quite a bit for many years and only seen a ranger once or twice.

• + New Posts