Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Help me prep for cuben fiber tarp, please

So I am thinking of tackling a cuben diamond tarp and I could really use your help in answering a few questions, please.

First, I suppose I should start with the details to make sure I have things correct and hopefully you can point out any mistakes .

I am thinking of doing an 8.5' X 8.5' square so I can set it up as a diamond. If my math is correct, that gives me a 12.05' ridge line. Or, an asym tarp similar to the hennessy hammock tarps.

I am thinking of one of two routes in doing so:

The sewing route.

Is this hard to do? What point needle is recommended? Nylon/Polyester thread okay? I have only ever sewn ripstop nylon and sil nylon, how does cuben sewing compare? Anything a new sewer may be over looking?

The tape route

What is the best method to taping? Should I get double sided or single sided cuben seam tape? I am presuming the only areas that will need taping is the ridge line attachment point, but then how do I approach the pull outs?

Either Way
    I am a little bit confused in the whole construction of a diamond tarp (rectangles are easy imo). I would love the area where the two pieces of fabric connect to be at the center of the tarp running parallel with the ridge line. I am assuming I need to cut two identical isosceles triangles with the "base" of the two triangles sewn or taped.

Any plans on the inter-webs with some details on sewing a diamond tarp?

Thank you very much for your help!
    Last edited by Deadphans; 12-24-2013 at 15:24.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    It's the hypotenuse that you'd be joining in a diamond and here is a right angle calculator for double-checking your math: http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

I taped my two pieces of a nominal 9x10 flat tarp together with a 1" seam using double sided high bond tape -- you can get it from Zpacks along with your CF. I can deploy it as an asymmetrical and get fantastic coverage.

I used the same double-sided tape method to attach reinforcement patches at the ridge line ends, corners, and tie-outs. Sewing is not necessary IMHO.

The material is difficult to handle because it is wispy; so, be patient and you'll have a great end product, light and durable (I used the .74 ounce version and am very pleased with it:

Last edited by MDSH; 12-24-2013 at 19:42.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Recommend using double sided tape to join the two pcs together. Sew the outer edge with a hem ~1/4". The double sided tape is only a glue delivery system. You can use it to "glue" all of the pull out reinforcements to the tarp. This is not a hard project, so have fun.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I ordered a scrap 2'x3' piece from http://www.diygearsupply.com when ordering some other material. Gave me a chance to check out how wispy it is whether I wanted to deal with working on it or not as well as forming an initial impression on the durability of a given weight CF.

Now working on a couple small stuff sacks/wallet bags and learning it takes patience when using this stuff.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Check out Yama Mountain for some ideas on a new approach to a hardwareless pullout/tieout points that are both sewn and bonded. They say this is helping distribute the load across the material better to prevent stress points.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    If your going the tape route this will give you some ideas for the
    tie-out areas.....double sided tape is the go.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...e_pagination=1
    Last edited by ofuros; 12-26-2013 at 03:36.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Gotta Yama mountain stuff sack kit for Xmas. Going to try piecing a tarp skins and a bishop bag together. How's your stuff coming

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Thank you everyone for the recommendations.

MDSH that tarp looks beautiful, great job!

It seems as though the double sided tape is the way to go. Thanks for the link on the tie outs whilst doing the tape method.

I will be putting some more thought in to this and putting aside some cash for the materials. A cost benefit analysis if you will
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink79 View Post
    Gotta Yama mountain stuff sack kit for Xmas. Going to try piecing a tarp skins and a bishop bag together. How's your stuff coming
    P.S. I like this Yama Mountain stuff sack kit. I might try my hand at that first before jumping all in on a tarp. Could make myself a cuben bishop bag for my new WWM!

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Did some math even taping it in sections I still need more just for tarp skins. Now bishop/double opening bag for hammock, then stuff sacks for both quilts and one for clothes. Thinking of elastic on the opening of the bishop so it tries to keep the opening closed as you pull out the hammock or are stuffing it so it doesn't just fly out the opening. The elastic will stretch to full open so it is easy to stuff. Going to use a plastic sheet and tape for a mockup first though.

Remember there is a liquid glue to bond larger pieces together.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast