DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Eno Single Nest or Grand Trunk Single?

I have the opportunity to buy either one of these as my first hammock to start hanging....the Grand Trunk Single Parachute is $49.99 at SPortsmans Warehouse, whereas the Eno Single Nest is $59.99.... I'm not sure which one would better suit me? I'm 5'7", 275 pounds, (on a program to lose weight though) and would like to ditch the ground sleeping systems I have in favor of hammocking, as I usually car camp, but summertime, I plan on bikepack out for camping..... so losing the tent and heavy stuff would help a lot..just I am not sure which of the two would be better suited to my size.... they both have the same weight capacity, but the Eno is slightly smaller than the Grand Trunk..although the website only shows a bright blue GT...I'm not sure if the store will have different colors, I like the colors of the Eno myself.....as its...."more me" I see on Bushcraft and on this site several large people using these types; I've had a bad experience of being claustrophobic in a cheap hammock in the past, and I HATED my dad's cotton rope hammock when he had it pitched taut.... I got 9 months use out of an army cot, and ruined the aluminum side rails (this was when I was 325 pounds) by sitting on the edge on an almost daily basis.... so that is why I am looking to try hammocking again with actual quality, and possibly make my own sorta Bridge, sorta spreader bar hammock in the vein of the TreeBoat and the Duluth Pack pathfinder hammock,

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I think the major differences to look at here would be weight and fabric quality.

The fabric used on the ENO is really soft and comfortable, even in hot and sticky summer weather. I'm not sure about the GT - I've got the ultralight, which is a taffetta, but the GT single looks to be a similar fabric to the ENO. You'd probably need to go to a store and feel them both to figure out which you like more.

Weight-wise, the ENO is a only an ounce heavier than the GT, and you can lose some of that weight by clipping off the largely useless compression buckle and strap; the GT does not seem to come with a compression strap, so no weight savings there. Also, the weight goes down when you upgrade the suspension - the stock carabiners are bunk on the ENO (dunno about the GT) and the heavy duty cord used to gather the ends is easily replaced with an Amsteel soft shackle.

In summary: they're almost the same thing. If you can find them in stores, go feel the fabric and see if one is more comfortable than the other.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    To be honest, I would say neither. Go get a nice hammock from dream-hammock, warbonnet, or some of the other vendors. Of if all else fails, make one. Either option would be a better option than the two suggested IMO..

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    How about a doublenest? They are $69 at REI.
    Last edited by sunshower; 12-27-2013 at 10:43.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    You may want to look at the GT Double or ENO Doublenest for the weight allowance, I started with a ENO Singlenest, and it would creak everytime I got in it (I'm currently around the 240-250lb mark), with the GT Double I don't hear any creaking. As for comfort, I've found that they are very similar.
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”Ralph Waldo Emerson
    --Guessing Emerson didn't practice Leave No Trace

In Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences. -- R.G. Ingersoll

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    hmmm. this would be my first hammock....I've tried the double sized and found them to be rather claustrophobic..could be how I laid in them and how they set em up..... It was also a reason for me to look into making my own hammock based on the design of the New Tribe TreeBoat and the Duluth pack Pathfinder log cot/hammock... (Got a question on fabric in the DIY fabrics section) That was why I was thinking the Single; might give me more airflow/open space so as not to be in a sort of body-bag situation. When I camp, I like having airflow at my head, HATE most mummy sleeping bags.. OK with integrated pillow/hoodie if it allows freedom of head movement.. EDIT; I am rather poor and this would be a significant expenditure for me....can't quite justify a more expensive/higher quality hammock at the moment, maybe later though...Thought these two might be good starters for me to see if I like hanging more than cots or ground dwelling.

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    You may want to get some 1.1oz (double layer) or 2.6oz (single layer) ripstop and make a No Sew Hammock
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”Ralph Waldo Emerson
    --Guessing Emerson didn't practice Leave No Trace

In Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences. -- R.G. Ingersoll

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    would 70D taffeta work? local place has bright blue for $3 a yard at 60" width; EDIT: its coated with 1oz PU, and 2.5oz coated weight.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    You do not want a coated fabric for a hammock....on a warm day your body will give off moisture and make you feel like your laying in a bathtub of your own sweat. You want breathable fabrics....DWR's are ok but not anything with silicone or polyurethane coatings, they just don't breath and will not be comfortable.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    OK so I guess that would eliminate Cordura of most types? one of the designs I had was a double wide Tree-boat (4.5 ft wide) using 65" canvas but I felt the material and it is way TOO heavy for a hammock.... they have uncoated 70D 1.9 oz Nylon ripstop at $6.00 a yard.. and Lightweight Woven Micro-Ripstop; 2.7oz in Forest Green, $4 a yard, uncoated, didn't say what Denier but I assume higher?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast