DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps

kelty noah 16x16

I have bought this tarp(waiting for delivery) for playing in the winter....ok and summer, and picked the over-size to make my winter tarp taller and still reach the ground, and doors, and all kinds of things. WHO has one and WHAT has worked for you so far? pictures will help please but descriptions work.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe *zipppppp*
    Tarp
    HHHex w/2QZQ Doors
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Straps,Biner,Rings
    Hi, I have the Noah 9x9 and the 12x12 and love them!

I have used the 9x9 as my primary tarp over my hammock in the past with pretty good success in the warmer months. They don't really have much of a cat cut so they tend to be a bit flappy if you only use a few tie-outs. Having said that, they fortunately have plenty of tie locations, making virtually endless set-up configuration options.

I'll dig through my photos to try and find some of both set up. I think you might be surprised at how big the 16x16 is going to be! We often use my 12x12 as a communal tarp on wetter trips and it covers a huge area.

I can't wait to see some pics of yours set up when you get it!
    Stevicide

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I have this tarp. I will look for pics, but it is a beast. Large enough to set up with doors and stand tall. I bought it because most of the camping I do is carcamping with my son. We usually set up bunk beds. With this tarp we have the hammocks one on top of the other and still room to stand with rubbermade tubs with close and gear. The side pull outs give you tons of room. And even set up the tarp still can touch the floor for complete protection. I have used it in complete soakers and not a drop inside.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hennesy Asym
    I have the 12x12 but haven't had a lot of success with it since its so big and heavy. Hasn't been the best for packing light. But I haven't given up on it and would also like to see some pictures. May be insightful in helping me figure out how to get some more use out of it. Have used it to cover two hammocks side by side. But it was a tish small for how we had the hammocks hung then.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Kelty Noah's Tarps are great all round tarps - well made, good tie options, good price. They're not ultralight though, nor as well-featured as most of the cottage vendor tarps you'll find here. (Cat cuts, pole pullouts etc). I own 2 of them - the 12' tarp that is my current goto for hanging, and the 16' tarp that I've used when camping with the family or scouting (not as a hammock tarp though).

The 16' is a beast and in my opinion is too big for hammocking except in specific situations such as described above, and it weighs well over 3lb.

The 12' works well, although is 2lb 4oz as supplied. You can lose a couple of oz by changing out the guys and stakes, but you'll still be left with a 2lb+ tarp. That 2lb is a good all around performer though - you could backpack with it if you had to, it can find use in all 4 seasons and it will handle abuse. I've even pressed mine into service over a turtlelady stand, although it was less than optimal - the 9' might have been better in that application. I'll probably replace it one day with a set of season- and purpose-specific tarps (I've got my eye on UCG's winter dream, and I like the idea of making a cuben backpacking tarp), but for the time being I have more important ways of spending money.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I will be using the tarp only when not backpacking. car camp in summer and pulking it in the winter. just want something wider/taller while still reaching the ground in winter.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    I will be using the tarp only when not backpacking. car camp in summer and pulking it in the winter. just want something wider/taller while still reaching the ground in winter.
    I've carried a Noah's 9, 12, and 16 while backpacking depending on the situation. Yeah, they're heavier than other options, but who cares? If it's what you've got, it's what you've got.

They are great tarps. A lot of setup options, very sturdy, and well made.

The "ultra light evangelists" don't like them. That may not be a bad thing, though, as it probably helps to keep the prices on these tarps down.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    DIY Dual Layer 1.8oz Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest ProLite
    Suspension
    Straps 'n' Toggle
    I've got the Noah Tarp 16. I'm just getting into hanging so I haven't used it as hammock tarp yet but I have used it as a dining fly and the thing is huge. We have fit out entire scout troop (5 leaders and 8 boys) under it in a rain storm. I bought 2 of the REI 8' tarp poles for it. I'm also curious how it will work as a hammock tarp it will either be spacious and awesome or just too big.

Side note: I bought mine at steepandcheap.com for $40!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    so camped in the kelty 16 was big and tall. love it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hubby & I both have 12' Noah's and love them. They are a tad heavy but have held up in monsoon-like rain & 25mph gusts with zero issue. Below is a photo of our last cold weather test. Looks cozy but it got below 20* that night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts