Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images

1000 and 1 now

I know that there are a ton of videos out there on setup configurations, so adding one more to add to the confusion just seemed like the thing to do. So here’s my version of a SLS with a integrated Superfly tarp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBscO...ature=youtu.be
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLT
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Down quilts
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I truly appreciate this fine video and creative design. Soon I will be doing the setup of my BB XLC with a Super Fly that I just took delivery on last week. This system is replacing my Claytor Jungle hammock which has served me well for 3 years.

I live in WA State and often we have rain on both ends of our summers so a highly organized and efficient setup like yours is most important. I am a fishing kayaker and don't backpack as of yet. I do have all my gear organized in totally waterproof 5L bags that fit nicely within my KC12 sit-on-top (& motorized Minn Kota Co-pilot controlled system). Gear weight isn't a problem with the boat.
    I use the snake skins also.
    What type of cord are you using for the tarp ridge line and the support lines going to the pegs? I use 550 reflective paracord to the pegs.
    Also, what is your opinion about using aluminum tent poles placed over the tarp from the ridge line connected through the four side loops and continuing down through the peg loops for more interior room?
    Please forward any other suggestions you may have.
    Have a super NEW YEAR!

Jay Collins (stealth17)
    Redmond, WA
    425 241-8008
    Jay Collins

Avid Kayak Fisherman and Hanger Known as Jayfish17 or Stealth17
    Redmond, WA

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Except for the loopies the whole thing is one piece of 1/8” amsteel 50 ft long. Here’s a closer look at the butterfly knot loop / loopies set up. But before I go into that let me emphasize the importance of starting out with a distance between the two butterfly knots that you know will be LESS than the distance between the end tabs of the tarp. Because when the hammock is attached and you are in it the slack will come out of everything and it’s more than you think it will be. So don’t try to get it too close to begin with and rip the tarp tabs off. If you will notice all the black marks on my line in the video you’ll see that I had to make quite a few adjustments. The length of the loopies has no bearing on this part. That will come later when you are working on how much sag you like in your hammock and height difference between head and foot, and that is another whole trial and error process. Now for a closer look at the knot / tarp / loopie.

The orange and white line represents the suspension line, the tan a loopie. I’m not going to show the tarp in this as all you are going to do with it is slip the small butterfly knot loop thru the tarp loop BEFORE attaching the loopie. So lay the loopie on top of the suspension line and tarp that will be laying there.

Bring the butterfly loop over the top of the loopie.

Pull the loopie thru the butterfly loop.

Keep pulling.

Keep pulling.

When you are done this slip fit knot should be big enough to keep the tarp in place. Now go set it up, lower yourself SLOWY into the hammock keeping your hand on the tarp making sure it is not becoming too tight. Make adjustments to the butterflies distances as needed. Now as far as the loopies that the hammock will attach to, I started out with short ones and just added shackles and carabiner’s and other loopies until I had come up with a sag and head foot offset that I liked when the SLS setup is level, then made new loopies of the needed length. This will test your patience, but stay with it, it will payoff in the long run.

My YouTube

Any benefit to to running the ridge line over the tarp vs. under?

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    stealth, I didn't answer your question about the spreader bars, and tjayblues this will also address your inquiry. I got the idea from tendertoe, but mine only goes to the side pull out tabs, plus it's on the outside, held off the tarp by the ridgeline by it being on the outside. This way there is nothing touching the tarp, poles or ridgeline. I don't have a picture but I'll see if I can get one posted to this thread in the next few days when I'm off work.

My YouTube

Hammock
    Eno single/ HH
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    From trees
    Interesting it might be. 1000+1. But it's the first time I've seen it. Good video. I will have to watch a few times to grasp this concept further.

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    Yes good video. Seeing the loops in your description was critical for me, I didn't get the idea fully from the video, they complement one another will. Thanks!

Loose Tarp?

I understand that the tarp will be loose until you put your body weight into the hammock. Doesn't that cause problems with the tarp flapping in the breeze when the hammock is unweighted?

For the last few scenes in the video the tarp looks tight. Is someone hanging in the hammock there, or does the tarp tighten up once the guylines are tensioned (even without weight in the hammock)?

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    I had to lookup up Butterfly knot, but that looks "elegant".

I like it, might be stealing that.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Here are the pictures I promised with the spreader bars. G-Rat that was very observant of you to notice that. No there was no one in it but I had placed everything I had with me at the time in the hammock in order to get it to fill out correctly (about 20 lb) and yes if your guy lines don’t have the incorporated shockcord (lots of videos out there on how to make that) it will look like a flag in the breeze. As for these pictures I have rigged a line between the hammock connection loops and hung some weights to simulate a hammock without having one in there to obstruct the view. The last picture is for tjayblues to see why I ran the line over the top “I don’t like anything touching my tarp”. But I should add we don’t get snow down here, otherwise I couldn’t do it this way.

My YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast