HH ul backpacker
    Tarp
    HH asym
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Any updates guys? I am sewing machine-less right now, so I haven't started.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Suspension
    Web/Cinch Buckle
    No updates yet from me. I've had some stuff come up and the bags have been moved to the back burner for now. I don't have a sewing machine either, so I'd have to make plans with a family member to use theirs sometime. Also, it's been a bit chilly here in Ohio so I don't have any plans to take time off work or school to go camping anytime soon. Spring break would probably be the earliest trip for me. Hopefully it doesn't take me that long to start working on them though! I'll definitely post here when I do. In the mean time, I know I'm not the only one who bought this bag. Let's see those mods!

Hammock
    HH ul backpacker
    Tarp
    HH asym
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    My wife picked up a sewing machine for me. Then after some brainstorming, I realized the foot box theory will not work for me. I have a Hennessey with attached netting. So, I will just have to open up this bag and try to make a rectangular quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by cbbr View Post
    I bought 2 while they were cheap. I cut the zipper out of one and I am going to double the ribbon that is there already and sew it down. I may also sew across and cut the hood off, but haven't yet. It's a nice topquilt for around the house (no time to get out right now) .
    Did you buy 2 with zipper on the same side?

If so, could I trouble you to turn one inside out and put it inside the other and zip them together and then post a pic? I've been thinking about picking up a second to make double layer top quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by micaudill View Post
    ... I know I'll use one as a top quilt, and want to somehow modify one for an underquilt. Here's where I need some suggestions. I have two ideas:

2. Simply cut a 6-7" hole in the foot box so I can slide the end of my hammock through and add a channel around the head to feed shock cord through. I would leave it unzipped when I hang it, and use shock cord to tie the head end up like a typical UQ.

... I'm looking for feedback if anyone has experience doing either of these modifications, and if either one will turn into more hassle than it's worth, whether making it or living with it.

i picked up a second bag today to try a few ideas, one of which is your second option in the original post. another reason is to see if i zipped one bag inside the other, would that double layer take me down below 32* as a top quilt. the second bag zipped inside the other just fine and lofted nicely. the outer bag seems to be light enough not to compress the inner bag all that much.

then i got to looking at how to rig one as an underquilt by sewing a big buttonhole-shaped slot in the end of the footbox and running the hammock thru. there is a pull loop on the end of the footbox that can be used tie the end of the bag to the foot end of the hammock suspension. if it looks like the light weight polyester loop may not hold, i figure a grosgrain loop should do okay.

then, looking at the head end, there is a channel with shock cord that cinches around the neck/shoulder area and another channel with shock cord that cinches the hood. i'm thinking about running the head end of the hammock between the shoct cord and the material to cinch the head up against the head end of the hammock and maybe sewing grosgrain loops to the velcro flaps to tie the head end of the bag to the head end of the hammock suspension. lastly, maybe sew some grosgrain loops along the sides to string it to the ridge line with shock cord to keep the edges up and snug to the bottom of the hammock.

i'm thinking this will work on my smr solo, and probably with most single-nest size hammocks because of their shorter length. the only problem with this idea is that it may be difficult to adjust the UQ lengthwise other than with custom length cord at the foot and head of the hammock suspension.

if it gets right down to it, i can probably sew a channel on the outside of the zipper to run suspension cords thru to make it more adjustable.
    Last edited by gps4; 01-21-2014 at 16:38.

Hammock
    HH ul backpacker
    Tarp
    HH asym
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images

Work in progress

I started modding the bag. In fact I am almost finished. First let me say that I have been sewing for a grand total of 30 minutes in my lifetime, before starting this project. With that being said, I did a real hack job on this sleeping bag. In the end I think it will work fine though. Good from a far, but far from good.
    I stitched 2 lines and cut between them, removing hood, and put it aside for a sleeping hat later. Then I cut the teeth off the zippers cause I'm lazy and didn't want to possibly open a seam unneccessarily. Next, after removing all the tape I put over the open wounds where the down was coming out, (due to lazy wreckless abandon), I closed up some holes and covered the ends with ribbon folded over the edges. Chopping thru the foot box to open it up quilt style came next, followed by the previous methods. My next flaw was to add some grosgrain loops around the perimeter for suspension. Wrong. A full length channel is needed for snug contraction at the head and foot ends. So, I removed a few loops and added the channel with shock cord. Much better semi-circular closure. The two long sides suspension is not done yet. I'm still debating whether the loops will work or if it needs a full length channel. Here are 2 pics of it opened up. More to come later. It aint perfect, but it's gonna hang! (Besides, with my 2QZQ under quilt protector, nobody is going to see it.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH ul backpacker
    Tarp
    HH asym
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Well, I gave it a test hang. Low and behold......not bad! The single loops on the side aren't gonna stay. I think a full channel down the sides is what it needs to really make it snug flat against the hammock. I'll likely have a break or two in the channel so I can diddle with the shock cord here and there.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    Hennesey Monsoon
    Insulation
    Eno Vulcan
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    I use mine as a top quilt, throw on a $9.00 wool blanket below 30, had it down to low 20's no issues.

Hammock
    HH ul backpacker
    Tarp
    HH asym
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I didn't have an under quilt till I made this one. I'll be using my good sleeping bag as a top quilt.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Suspension
    Web/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by southern9 View Post
    I started modding the bag. In fact I am almost finished. First let me say that I have been sewing for a grand total of 30 minutes in my lifetime, before starting this project. With that being said, I did a real hack job on this sleeping bag. In the end I think it will work fine though. Good from a far, but far from good.
    I stitched 2 lines and cut between them, removing hood, and put it aside for a sleeping hat later. Then I cut the teeth off the zippers cause I'm lazy and didn't want to possibly open a seam unneccessarily. Next, after removing all the tape I put over the open wounds where the down was coming out, (due to lazy wreckless abandon), I closed up some holes and covered the ends with ribbon folded over the edges. Chopping thru the foot box to open it up quilt style came next, followed by the previous methods. My next flaw was to add some grosgrain loops around the perimeter for suspension. Wrong. A full length channel is needed for snug contraction at the head and foot ends. So, I removed a few loops and added the channel with shock cord. Much better semi-circular closure. The two long sides suspension is not done yet. I'm still debating whether the loops will work or if it needs a full length channel. Here are 2 pics of it opened up. More to come later. It aint perfect, but it's gonna hang! (Besides, with my 2QZQ under quilt protector, nobody is going to see it.)
    That looks good man! Hopefully with my previous sewing experience of 0 minutes I can get results close to as good as yours. I can see why grosgrain loops every foot or so on the long sides wouldn't work. It definitely looks like it would allow drafts inside the underquilt which will steal your warmth. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about trying to cut down unnecessary work and trying save money (hence why I bought these bags ), so kudos to you for giving it a shot! I think if I were to do the typical underquilt style, rather than open up the footbox I would cut it off. That would allow the bottom of the bag to lay completely flat (I can be a bit OCD) and it would save weight. The downside is, it would only extend down to about my knees or so. It would weigh less as well, but then again I'm no a gram counter (at least right now). With the cut off footbox I could harvest the down and overstuff either the underquilt or the other bag I'll be using for my topquilt. But then again, I don't want to get in over my head with this project haha.

I'm full of ideas but have no time right now and no skills either. Your work does give me hope though!