DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarbyt View Post
    I use mine as a top quilt, throw on a $9.00 wool blanket below 30, had it down to low 20's no issues.
    I'm glad to hear that with just a little help these bags can handle some pretty cold weather just fine! Although I'm not sure I'm ready to try cold weather camping just yet.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I considered cutting off the foot box for a lighter quilt. Then I thought I would probably end up carrying something to put under my feet. After seeing the edges of different layers and baffles inside, and the down starting to float away, I wanted to close it back up as quick as possible.
    I ended up removing all the individual grosgrain tabs except for one in each corner. I put in a grosgrain channel down the sides as well. I think it will work much better. I slipped in some light shock cord that I had on hand. It will need to be replaced with something a bit heavier.
    Over all, I think this bag is certainly workable. I kinda rushed my project. Time and experience would have yielded finer results, but it will work just fine. When I can afford a nice quilt, I'll upgrade. I want the wife to get a good one first.

More pics to come. It's 4:30a , couldn't sleep, but I aint taking no pictures right now.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Working that out.
    Suspension
    Straps
    Any new progress on these projects?

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I haven't started mine yet but I've got the itch to sew so perhaps I will soon.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Expecting rain tonight so I think a test hang is set for Saturday night. I'll report back with review and pics. Expecting a low of 40F so it should be perfect.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quick update: I finally made a decent place to hang in the back yard. Spent a few minutes fiddling around with suspension and what not. Got both ends closed tight around the hammock, snugged up the UQP and slid inside. As soon as the neighbors dog finally shut up, I was out like a light, ZZzZZZzzzzZZzzzzzzZZZ. Didn't realize I was snoozing hard until my wife came home and woke me up.
    60 degrees outside, no jacket, no sleeves. Just an underarmor shirt, light hiking pants and socks, and I woke very comfortable and cozy, no cold spots anywhere. My uncovered arms were not even cold, perfect. I did notice it was kinda cold outside the hammock upon exiting. Success. I am sleeping in it all night tonight. Should get down to 40F.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Working that out.
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by southern9 View Post
    Quick update: I finally made a decent place to hang in the back yard. Spent a few minutes fiddling around with suspension and what not. Got both ends closed tight around the hammock, snugged up the UQP and slid inside. As soon as the neighbors dog finally shut up, I was out like a light, ZZzZZZzzzzZZzzzzzzZZZ. Didn't realize I was snoozing hard until my wife came home and woke me up.
    60 degrees outside, no jacket, no sleeves. Just an underarmor shirt, light hiking pants and socks, and I woke very comfortable and cozy, no cold spots anywhere. My uncovered arms were not even cold, perfect. I did notice it was kinda cold outside the hammock upon exiting. Success. I am sleeping in it all night tonight. Should get down to 40F.
    AWESOME! Pics, explanations, reports, celebrations!!!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Got to work on it today. I haven't chopped off the hood yet but I will hopefully Sunday.

<>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Good news. The test last night went great. 40 degrees as predicted and not a cold spot below me. The only time I woke up and felt coldness was on my shoulder that had slipped out from under my sleeping bag used as a top quilt.
    I only wore an underarmor t-shirt, baggy nylon pants and my best, thickest socks. I was snug as a bug in a rug. At no time did I feel cold anywhere but my exposed shoulder. SUCCESS IS OURS! (For you northerners, our 40f is probably like your 20f due to our humid climate, so they say).
    Here are a couple of pics. The hennessey, ozark trail underquilt, and 2QZQ UQP all fit in the anaconda skins I made, about 5 inches in diameter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Good news! I will begin working on modifying my sleeping bags tomorrow. I am still sewing machine-less, but I will be going over to a family member's after school to use their sewing machine (or thread injector as they're called around here). I've decided to make a full length standard configuration underquilt. Cutting a hole in the bottom limits how diagonal you can lay, but it would probably work with my current hammock (Grand Trunk Ultralight) as it is only 9'5" long and you can't get too much of a diagonal lay. But, I'd rather try to future proof my gear and not limit myself. I was initially worried about the amount of sewing that would be involved, but I think I can handle it. My plan for tomorrow is to cut the hood off for my top quilt, cut the hood off for the underquilt, cut it open down to the bottom of the foot box, and cut off the bottom (rounded portion) of the foot box at the last set of baffles so it'll open up, lay flat and have a straight edge. Finally, I'll add grosgrain channels all the way around for suspension and closing up the ends to prevent drafts. I'll make sure to post up some pictures detailing everything when I finish.

I do have question though, how much shock cord will I need to purchase if I use one continuous loop through the side channels to connect the underquilt to the ends of my hammock? Am I safe to assume double my ridge line length would be good? I realize the ridge line is straight across and the shock cord will be matching the curve of the hammock, but that's what the elasticity of the shock cord is for, right? Or should I go longer than that? Does anyone know a good measurement?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast