DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks

Modifying an Ozark Trail 32* Down Sleeping Bag

I've been watching these bags, waiting for a deal, and I finally got one! They're currently $33 at walmart.com, limit of one. I just ordered two (by changing the quantity after adding it to my cart) and am already trying to decide what I want to do with them. I know I'll use one as a top quilt, and want to somehow modify one for an underquilt. Here's where I need some suggestions. I have two ideas:

1. Do quite a bit of chopping, sewing, and rearranging the down to turn it into a traditional UQ.
    2. Simply cut a 6-7" hole in the foot box so I can slide the end of my hammock through and add a channel around the head to feed shock cord through. I would leave it unzipped when I hang it, and use shock cord to tie the head end up like a typical UQ.

This bag doesn't unzip all the way to the bottom, but rather it unzips most of the way and essentially has a built-in foot box. If I went the second route I would slide the foot box on my top quilt into the foot box on my UQ, which would double up the insulation around my feet. I would only use the underquilt once it starts to get cold out, and typically my feet are the first thing to get cold so I think this could work. One thing to keep in mind is, I have no experience sewing (other than reattaching a button to a dress shirt by hand) and this is my first piece of down equipment. I don't know how hard it is to work with down and don't want to loose half of it by cutting and sewing everything back up. I know it's possible to do both ideas. I'm looking for feedback if anyone has experience doing either of these modifications, and if either one will turn into more hassle than it's worth, whether making it or living with it.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I bought a used modified one of these that was made into an TQ. I didn't do it but its nicely done. I just ordered another so I can try my hand at DYI. I will PM the person I bought it from to see how he did it. He sold it because it wasn't warm enough for his liking but it suits my south Texas climate fine.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    I don't see this bag that cheap. I guess I missed the sale. Is this the bag? I see it as $79

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Yep, that's the one. It looks like it went back up to regular price already. There's a ~35 page long thread about this bag in the top quilts section, but I figured I'd post here since I had questions about converting it to an UQ.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I'm tagging along. I ordered one with the intention of making an underquilt. When it gets here I'll have a better idea of what to do. I want to use it on my Hennessey and un-netted hammocks, so I'll be leaning towards the traditional method. I like the hole in the foot box idea though. We'll see when it gets here.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've converted a synthetic bag for UQ use before. The hole doesn't need to be huge, just large enough for the hammock to pass through. More importantly, it needs to be in the right place. You want the hole to be offset as far as practical to the side opposite the zipper allowing the footbox to sit completely above the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I just picked up my new bags last night. I pulled one out too look at it and it seems kinda flat, but I attribute that to being stored compressed. I'll wait to make any judgement till after I give it the lofting tennis ball treatment in the dryer. One other thing I just thought of: I'm thinking of making the hole in the foot box of the sleeping bag a slit, like a button hole, rather than round. Does it make sense that it be best to make a vertical slot? If the bag is laying on the ground the hole is vertical, but when you turn the bag 90 degrees and hang it, the zipper side will be on top and it will then have a horizontal hole, hopefully matching the spread of the hammock a bit better.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yes, elongate the hole so that it is horizontal when hanging.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Alright, I got my bag today! Lets see some mods, details, and pictures. I'm not sure which direction I want to take converting this to an under quilt. Thanks.

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    I bought 2 while they were cheap. I cut the zipper out of one and I am going to double the ribbon that is there already and sew it down. I may also sew across and cut the hood off, but haven't yet. It's a nice topquilt for around the house (no time to get out right now) .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast