Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tarp/tent question

Complete newbie to hammocks. I had a net one years ago, but nothing like today's styles.

My question: is there a winter type tarp with doors that can be easily pitched with trekking poles as the end supports should I want to use it as an ultralite tent?

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    I've pitched my ZPacks hammock tarp w/ doors using poles before to see if it could be done. It's definitely possible though I will admit I did a poor job and wouldn't trust it in high winds. But I am sure that is more to do with my inexperience than the tarp. Zpacks makes cups for this very purpose. -
    http://www.zpacks.com/large_image.sh...ps/cups_l.jpg?

Thanks. I was hoping someone made one lime the super fly that you could put the pole in a grommet right in the edge of the ridgeline if that makes sense. This could work though.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    I haven't seen any like what you are describing but that doesn't mean they don't exist. You might send an email to zpacks. I'm sure Joe will have better information and tips on pitching. Heck, most of our cottage vendors will make custom items so if it hasn't been done yet you could be the first to own one.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't know of any hammock tarps that will allow connecting the poles to the tarp directly. There are quite a few light winter tarp options, though. Hammock Gear has 2 Cuben fiber tarps with doors specifically for hammocks. Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs and BearPaw Wilderness Designs all have Cuben tarps, too, although no hammock tarps with doors. Some of their tarps might work for hammocks, though. Or, as octothorpesarus said, just shoot them an e-mail and ask if they can do alterations.

Hammock
    DIY 9ft Custom hammock
    Tarp
    Hex
    That's exactly the thing I've been working on.
    I'm planning to even make innertent for this design.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Any rectangular tarp can be used for a hammock, with or without the ends used as doors. The same rectangular hammock can be pitched many different ways for use as a pure ground shelter. One thing I like about my 10x11 is its versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Metavo View Post
    That's exactly the thing I've been working on.
    I'm planning to even make innertent for this design.
    I am not sure that the inner tent would be needed if you could just have the tarp pitch tightly and the doors open or close. That and a good ground cloth would be great. Most of the UL tents that have a set up like I am thinking of, have to poles inside, but I wonder if the ridgeline could have a loop with a grommet on the end to run the pole tip through outside the shelter. Then that same tab would have a second loop for guys to run out at 45 degrees from the pole.

The dual guys from the pole plus the guys and stake points for the rest of the fly should give enough stability to take decent wind and snow.

The other addition would be some way to easily connect the bug net of the hammock to the ends of the ridgeline so it can be used in the summer for mosquitos as either a separate bug net or with the hammock as a bevy inside.

I camp a lot of places that don't have trees available when I go back West, and this would allow me to take just one shelter system. I know it can be done with a square tarp, but something like the super fly would sure make it a lot easier.

If someone makes one already, that is great. If not, it should not be that hard to make one up that would work out well or add the needed pole connection as an aftermarket addition to a good commercial fly.

Not having a super fly handy, it is difficult for me to really tell what height and angle would work best to pitch it this way, so I am not sure if the trekking poles would be long enough, or if an extension like is used on the Shangri La would be needed.

Anyway, this is a little premature as I am just now looking into trying to get a hammock. I really do think I want one and will like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Any rectangular tarp can be used for a hammock, with or without the ends used as doors. The same rectangular hammock can be pitched many different ways for use as a pure ground shelter. One thing I like about my 10x11 is its versatility.
    I like the versatility of a tarp too. I was just thinking about a winter type shelter. A one tarp does it all type set up.

What has been the best ground set up for you in the winter if you just use a rectangular tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I don't know of any hammock tarps that will allow connecting the poles to the tarp directly. There are quite a few light winter tarp options, though. Hammock Gear has 2 Cuben fiber tarps with doors specifically for hammocks. Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs and BearPaw Wilderness Designs all have Cuben tarps, too, although no hammock tarps with doors. Some of their tarps might work for hammocks, though. Or, as octothorpesarus said, just shoot them an e-mail and ask if they can do alterations.
    I had not seen a few of these. Thanks. I am getting a long list of companies already, and I have not even bought a hammock yet.

I think I know what I want for a hammock, I just want to look at some up close before I jump to the spending stage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast