WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

First Night Out Report:WBBB Hammock @ 4.6F

I got my Turtle stand up in the backyard Sunday. I started putting up the Superrfly hanging over the top rail on Sunday but was interrupted by 35F windy rain and ducked inside.

I finally got it pitched Monday in gusts up to 18mph - quite a trick, as it wasn't rigged for quick deploy yet! Four 25lb kettle bells for anchors and spreaders tied off to porch and a flipped wheelbarrow. An elegant solution wasn't happening in that wind.

WBBB inside of the WB Travel Sock. Two RidgeRest CCF on floor. I have Dual Lock Velcro on 4 corners of each pad to snap together for winter ground camping, so just fastened the pads edge-to-edge to make a wide single layer. Over that, a ThermaRest Neoair Dream 72"x30" pad R=6 pad.

Wiggy's -20F Ultima Thule synthetic bag inside a 20F EMS Mountainlight down overbag. EMS TechWick Powder Dry T2 long underwear with thin liner socks, balaclava and gloves as base layer. Patagonia Puff pants and two heavier poly shirts with fleece socks and loose wool socks over, and a heavy fleece balaclava.

My Davis weather station is only 20yd from my setup, so that served as my recorder for conditions. http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...?ID=KNHBEDFO13

The pads shifted footwards but stayed under my shoulders, and I had a Wilderness Logic synthetic pillow to keep my head propped up. Lots of condensation on WBBB net and frost on the sock. Outer bag was wet and frosty on surface, but Wiggy's gag perfectly dry. No doubt a dew point effect, but the Wiggy's bag wicks moisture well with siliconized fibers.

It was 13F when I ensconced myself in shelter at 10pm. I had to shuffle the inner bag under my butt to block the slight cold sensation. Up at 11pm as the hot water bottle was making it too warm inside, so it went into the side pocket. Up to pee at 4am - toasty warm inside but 8F outside. Harder to get re-situated once everything had slumped footwards but slept until 7am at the day's low of 4.6F.

I got notice that my Underground Quilts 0F TQ/UQ set with UQP will ship Thursday, so expect a trial run Saturday night, if the USPS delivers.

Once I get that set up and tested, it's off into the woods! Which are conveniently just 300yd away. Mountains just 8mi off - just little 1300 footers here in SoNH.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Great report. Looks like you'll need a pee bottle.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCpod View Post
    Great report. Looks like you'll need a pee bottle.
    Brought one, but I'm out of practice. I can pee in a wetsuit while swimming a triathlon or diving (yeah, gross, but you gotta do what you gotta do...always wash afterwards) but not in a hammock yet.

Images
    Had to remove hot water bottle due to overheating in single digits? Not bad for 1st time!

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    now you've got to come to the Winter NEHHA next weekend- look it up in Trips-Northeast
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    now you've got to come to the Winter NEHHA next weekend- look it up in Trips-Northeast
    Yeah - if I can get the quilts on and a test drive, I'm in! Looks like a great time.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Eh - USPS 2-day delivery says elivery today but tracking shows it's only gone 58mi of the trip from MI to NH. Maybe Monday...

• + New Posts