DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra

Experiment with VB

Last night I slept down by the river in my Hennessy Explorer, WB Yeti, and some crappy Costco sleeping bag. I had previously used this setup in my back yard one night at about 20* and snowing and windy. I'm not sure the temps last night but I'm guessing around 30* and very little wind. I'm no weather expert, but I think it was more humid last night than the night it snowed.

Well, I was much colder last night than before. I went to bed with cold feet and the never warmed up. In fact, they stayed pretty much ice cold all night. My son was out with me in a Hennessy Scout, a Thermarest Ridge Runner CCF, and the same crappy sleeping bag. He says he slept warm, no problems. I did jerry rig one of the cheap 1 oz space blankets under him as a wind screen. I also draped a fleece blanket over the bug net and below the tarp. However, that fell off in the night. I know the SB had air gaps, so I'm not sure it did any good at all.

So after a couple hours I was cold and had to "water the leaves". While out I grabbed an extra SB and some hand warmers. I lined the inside of my sleeping bad with the SB and put the hand warmers down at my feet. I could instantly tell a difference with the SB. My body warmed up almost immediately. In fact I had to take off the down puffer coat I was wearing.

My feet never did warm up. I had on wool socks with some elastic support. I took those almost all the way off thinking they were restricting circulation. Maybe I should have taken them all the way off?

Anyway, sleeping with the SB next too me was odd. It definitely kept me warm. I wonder how much my sleeping bag helped at all. The down sides were the noise and the moisture. It was very krinkley. Even as I was breathing it sounded almost like rain on my tarp. I couldn't hear anything outside of my hammock.

Most of the night I wasn't "wet", just a little clammy. I had long pants with fleece long johns and a fleece top. I ended up wearing my wool glove liners. That way none of my skin ever touched the SB. As long as my skin didn't touch I never noticed the claminess nor the moisture. This morning when I took off my gloves I noticed the SB was slick with moisture but my clothes seemed dry.

Laying there listening to the krinkling I couldn't help but marvel at how well it kept me warm. I hate my bag and want to replace it. I was thinking of some kind of DIY IX/Climateshield combo. Would the IX be a better or worse vapor barrier? It must be quieter. Maybe a thin layer of fleece, a layer of IX, a layer of Climateshield, and a ripstop shell?

Long post, thanks for the read. For those of you more experienced with VB, what could I have done better? What did I get right? Why couldn't I get my feet warm?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Is your Yeti a full length?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Nope, it's the 20* 3 season 2/3 length 46". I've slept with this yeti three times now. This is the first time I was kinda disappointed and wished I had a full-length 20*.

I don't remember if I mentioned, but I also use a cut Thermarest Ridge Runner CCF as a foot pad.

Images
    After such a great testimony to the benefits of space blankets(SB) and vapor barriers(VB), you sound like a great candidate for the inexpensive but excellent VB CLOTHING from these folks:
    http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier-clothing

The fuzzystuff lining keeps away that odd sensation, and no noise. VB socks help the feet also!

I'm glad, pain in the butt that it was, chose to put the SB in your bag and not over or under it. That way you got the VB and radiant( I suppose) benefits, with no disastrous down sides.

Way to go! Your test seems very simple: cold with an UQ, add SB/VB, warm right up! I have also used those SBs for years, right under my hammock in both my HHSS and inside my Speer Pea Pod. I never hear them ( since I am not laying right on them, they are just snug against my hammock), just get the pluses. Main thing is to keep them pretty close to your skin with most or all insulation between the SB and the cold air.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Cold feet are often a combination of problems. Most people need a pad or something under their feet in a 3/4 length UQ at those temperatures. I use a small piece of CCF pad (cheap stuff from wallyworld) for my feet. If it's really cold I use two. I find my feet stay warmer with no socks or loose fitting socks. If you go to bed with cold extremities while pushing the limits of the rest of your insulation you will be cold. Your extremities will not warm if up your body has to work to keep your core temperature up. Humidity (and dew point) can make a big difference on your comfort level at the same temperature.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    After such a great testimony to the benefits of space blankets(SB) and vapor barriers(VB), you sound like a great candidate for the inexpensive but excellent VB CLOTHING from these folks:
    http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier-clothing

The fuzzystuff lining keeps away that odd sensation, and no noise. VB socks help the feet also!
    I'm not sure I'm all in for VB clothing. I might like a sheet of that VB/fuzzystuff to make a bag liner though.

I'm glad, pain in the butt that it was, chose to put the SB in your bag and not over or under it. That way you got the VB and radiant( I suppose) benefits, with no disastrous down sides.

Way to go! Your test seems very simple: cold with an UQ, add SB/VB, warm right up! I have also used those SBs for years, right under my hammock in both my HHSS and inside my Speer Pea Pod. I never hear them ( since I am not laying right on them, they are just snug against my hammock), just get the pluses. Main thing is to keep them pretty close to your skin with most or all insulation between the SB and the cold air.

I'd read here on the forums about VB, so I mostly what's what. I figured it was a great opportunity to test it out. I thought about putting it between my hammock and UQ, but I really felt like it was my sleeping bag that was letting me get cold. That's why I chose in the bag rather than under the hammock.

Any thoughts on IX as a VB?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Sooopafly!
    Insulation
    20deg HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    straps/marlin
    Images
    I purchased a SOL escape Bivy to throw on top of my Sleeping bag.

It is the only product in the line that allows moisture to pass, but still radiates you heat back at you with the benefits of being wind proof and waterproof. so it can either go on top or add to my PLUQ and 3/4 Z-rest underneath me.

http://www.amazon.com/AMK-0140-1228-.../dp/B00AW3CWX8

small, cheap, compact, many benefits.
    Last edited by Bobbinheadlodge; 01-02-2014 at 14:29. Reason: wrote SB, meant sleeping bag not space blanket.
    Nature restores my sanity. Seeking to get out more.

• + New Posts